Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,239 times

Advertisements

I'm an African-American woman in her mid 20's considering a move to the New York City from TX. I'm curious if there are any other African-Americans on the forum that could share their experiences in living there. What challenges have you faced? I'm looking for positive experiences along with negative ones. Basically: a balanced view. I'm not looking to be offended or expecting the worst if/when I go there. Just trying to get a realistic outlook. Even if you don't have any remarkable stories, I would just be very interested to hear your general impression of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
I'm a Black guy (African American seems so politically correct, and I wasn't born in Africa) but my experience here is great. I'm a native and I love my hometown.

NYC is probably one of the best places because racism isn't really a factor here. Experience and knowledge speaks in volume here.

But whatelse would you like to know. Be a little more specific.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
In my experience, it’s a mixed bag with more pro than con. One of the biggest pros is that there is a mix of everyone here, so I rarely feel like I stand out (except when walking around the Upper East Side). But because there is a mix of everyone, I encounter tensions that I wouldn’t have to deal with in a less diverse area of the country, like Africans vs. Americans of African decent.

Am I going to get in trouble for mentioning that in mixed company? Oh well.

I still get followed by store security at lower-end places, but have no problems at places I expect to be snooty. And I like that I don’t have to go to a rough neighborhood to buy hair products; they carry Kinky Curly at Whole Foods. Amazing.

I have never felt that I have been discriminated against in the NYC professional world, but I’m accomplished in my field, have a good education and have worked in non-profits and media where everyone is a bit odd.

Oh, I have definitely faced housing discrimination. I went to fill out an application for a place in Manhattan and the manager immediately gave me an application for a place in the Bronx (nothing wrong with the Bronx, just didn’t have the view I was looking for). I had to be firm that I was applying for a certain apt in a pretty white Manhattan neighborhood. Although my name is Arabic, it is considered a “Black” name and I used my initials or use my husband’s bland name when making initial inquiries over the phone or through email. It made life easier. (My parents did the same when bought their last house and boy was the banker surprised when they showed up at closing.)

Sadly, because there are so many poor blacks in NYC, too many people think that is all we are. There aren’t wealthy black enclaves here like there are in other cities and middle class black folks are a novelty to too many.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
I'm not African American, but I am from the south originally. From what I have noticed time and time again here in the north east is that you're less likely to know who the racists are. In the south those who are racist generally don't make many strides to hide it. Racism is just as prevalent up here as in the south; however, not as open.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Native NY'er here. Born and raised. I'm also a Chocolate sista, like that term better but I loved living in New York.

Just know that it's crazy expensive to live here but I can say no where compares to the "Big Apple".

I know live across the river in New Jersey but still work in NY and still socialize there.

New York will always be my home, is there racism, yes, there's racism everywhere but you will be ok.

As the saying goes, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" and that is the truth.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I have never felt that I have been discriminated against in the NYC professional world, but I’m accomplished in my field, have a good education and have worked in non-profits and media where everyone is a bit odd.
This is key in New York, especially Manhattan. New Yorkers respect talent and people who are really good at what they do. This town is much more concerned with education and class than ethnicity.

Frankly, the more you're like the Obamas (i.e., Ivy undergrad, Harvard law, thin and concerned with health and nutrition, poised and articulate) the more you'll fit in in Manhattan.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
Hopefully, I can offer another unique perspective. Umm... where to begin?
Okay. First of all, I am a Chocolate brother who is originally from Central America.
I migrated with my mom to the U.S. when little. I encountered tension from black/brown American kids while growing up in East New York and Brownsville. This was due having English as 2nd language.
After grasping English language and slang, I got into specialized middle school and elite high school where different people mostly interacted with me positively. Cosby Show raised folk consciousness.
To make long story short, I came back to NYC after earning degrees at school in midwest.
When coming back, I hustled jobs from city goverment to private pharmaceutical industry. Even after rough economic times, I managed to land on my feet in a private social service sector. That said... New York City is a place not for thin skinned people of any color. Any assertive person of color that is disciplined and treats others with respect they deserve can overcome trials here. This is what I tell my cousin who lives near Fort Hood in OP's neck of the woods. peace

Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM

244 posts, read 567,781 times
Quote:

Sadly, because there are so many poor blacks in NYC, too many people think that is all we are. There aren’t wealthy black enclaves here like there are in other cities and middle class black folks are a novelty to too many.
Off-topic, but why do people say this? Blatantly false information.

Queens is the only county in the United States where black households have a higher median income than whites. Queens' median income is above national average income, clearly there are tons of middle-class blacks in that borough alone.

And there is only one other city with as many upper middle, upper-income blacks as NYC and that's Washington DC and its suburbs (in percentage only). In sheer numbers, that goes to the NYC and its suburbs, which is also #2 in terms of percentage.

Last edited by DC90; 08-18-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Off-topic, but why do people say this? Blatantly false information.

Queens is the only county in the United States where black households have a higher median income than whites. Queens' median income is above national average income, clearly there are tons of middle-class blacks in that borough alone.

And there is only one other city (and metropolitan area) with as many upper middle, upper-income blacks as NYC and that's Washington DC and its region (in percentage only). In sheer numbers, that goes to the NYC as well as its region which is also #2% in terms of percentage.
Also, you can find suburbs with a substantial to high Black percentage with plenty of middle class Black folks like: Wheatley Heights, Baldwin, parts of Mt. Vernon, parts of White Plains, and quite a few communities in NJ and CT, amongst others.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
There aren’t wealthy black enclaves here like there are in other cities.
On the other hand, perhaps enclaves aren't necessary in New York (as they may be elsewhere).

It's somewhat similar to gay neighborhoods. Gays don't need to live in Chelsea because the also live in the Village, the East Village, Hell's Kitchen, Park Slope, DUMBO, Fort Greene, Williamsburg, Astoria, and on and on. They are everywhere so there is no need for an enclave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City