Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM

65 posts, read 186,586 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately the acts of a few racist, ignorant idiots are always front page news.
The media always exaggerates and sensationalizes the actions of such people.
To people from out of town, NY may seem like there is all-out war on Mexicans. SOOOOO not true.
This is partly why there are so many threads in this forum that begin with: "(pick a neighborhood); Is it safe?"
Trust me....there are millions of Mexicans here, you will feel very welcome and comfortable.
I say come and see for yourself, then make a sound decision.

Good luck with Med School!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
The anger is against illegals. If you come here legally, support yourself and don't expect handouts, you'll do wonderfully!
yea but the problem is a lot of ignorant people think every person that looks mexican is illegal

Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
The anger is against illegals. If you come here legally, support yourself and don't expect handouts, you'll do wonderfully!
This is what is believed by many people but it's simply not the case. People have grown their own irrational hatred towards mexicans regardless of their legal status. I can tell you this from experience being a LEGAL US citizen with a Mexican background. They don't care if I'm illegal, they automatically assume and start with the jokes that have nothing to do with immigration.

That being said.. (OP) you will be fine in most neighborhoods in NYC, the only ones you should look out for are the already dangerous ones and possibly some sections of Staten Island that are currently going through this anti mexican wave.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
right now i'm looking at different places to go to medical school as i finish up my pre-med studies, and new yorkers make a killing in this industry, so i'm definitely interested.. a thing i've noticed tho, reading through the forums, is that mexicans don't sound like they really fit in here.. ?

i've noticed crimes against illegals (or dayworkers), and other gang related garbage, but, as a mexican, a handsome professional, am i going to run into any problems?

i've heard of other hispanics, e.g. dominicans beating up someone just cause of them being mexican... ? i have a little one and our safety comes first, so i won't put up with any of that wherever we go, i just hope that it isn't a problem here

please no sugar coating, i'm looking for honesty so tell me like it really is
anyone care to share?
You should move to the Bronx. We have always been a very inclusive borough. Not to say it never ahappens, but you very, very rarely hear about that kind of thing here. Staten Island seems the most racist, Manhattan the most exclusive. Parts of Brooklyn are very cliquey according to ethnicity and most of Queens is an ethnic enclave.

My area is Bedford Park. I'd argue to say many parts of the Northwest Bronx are a microcosm of diversity (Bedford Park, Norwood, Kingsbridge, Belmont). Here alone I have Jewish native and immigrant, Puerto Rican, Asian, Dominican, Mexican, Irish, Serbian, Indian, and Black neighbors- and I live in a tiny block with less than a dozen buildings on it. A few blocks away we have Italian, Korean, Albanian, Yugoslavian, Iranian, Ghanian, Malian, and more. In this part of the Bronx nobody really stands out.We'd be happy to have a professional Mexican-American to add to the mix.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea but the problem is a lot of ignorant people think every person that looks mexican is illegal
That is somewhat true. Also it also depends on how you talk and dress. If you dress weird like you are not from the states. Then they will think you are illegal.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:10 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Our office used to go to a favorite restaurant for lunch that has since closed. Our waiter was usually this young Mexican guy, and I noticed that he wore a claddagh ring, one of those Irish rings that Irish couples sometimes exchange. It was a nice New York moment--eating in an Italian restaurant with a Mexican waiter wearing an Irish ring.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM

449 posts, read 877,534 times
Default Mexicans are

a wonderful group of people who are hard-working, and that work ethic will make them succeed, no matter where they choose to live.

Every new group that comes into the US or to NYC, has had to pay the price for being the "new ones," unfortunately, we have a certain group of people that have no work ethic, are the last ones to be hired because of their attitudes, and are causing problems for the hard-working Hispanics, in general. But NYC has lots of good people, and many welcome Mexicans.

Stay away from ghetto areas, and carefully choose who you trust. Good-luck to you.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
a wonderful group of people who are hard-working, and that work ethic will make them succeed, no matter where they choose to live.

Every new group that comes into the US or to NYC, has had to pay the price for being the "new ones," unfortunately, we have a certain group of people that have no work ethic, are the last ones to be hired because of their attitudes, and are causing problems for the hard-working Hispanics, in general. But NYC has lots of good people, and many welcome Mexicans.

Stay away from ghetto areas, and carefully choose who you trust. Good-luck to you.
Not to sound mean or anything, but not every mexican are hard-working. I know Mexicans who are lazy. Maybe those that you know are hard-working. Not all Mexicans are hard-working. It is like every nationalities.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
This is what is believed by many people but it's simply not the case. People have grown their own irrational hatred towards mexicans regardless of their legal status. I can tell you this from experience being a LEGAL US citizen with a Mexican background. They don't care if I'm illegal, they automatically assume and start with the jokes that have nothing to do with immigration.

That being said.. (OP) you will be fine in most neighborhoods in NYC, the only ones you should look out for are the already dangerous ones and possibly some sections of Staten Island that are currently going through this anti mexican wave.
Correction: There is ONLY ONE section on Staten Island, where obviously, due to recent issues against Mexicans, they are not welcomed, and that is the PORT RICHMOND SECTION, which is mostly

Black, with few Whites, and Hispanics. The REST of Staten Island WELCOMES Mexicans with open arms.

They are good people, and extremely hard-working, often holding two and three jobs to make end meets. And most are excellent, loving parents.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Not to sound mean or anything, but not every mexican are hard-working. I know Mexicans who are lazy. Maybe those that you know are hard-working. Not all Mexicans are hard-working. It is like every nationalities.
Obviously not EVERY Mexican (as in 100%) are hard-working, but Mexican as a group has develop a reputation for being hard-working in a lot of people's mind. You can call it stereotype and whatever, but the two words came up in my mind was hard-working and illegal when I think of Mexican. I think they are very nice people overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City