Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What I find really strange is that this thread didn't get started until August 18. They've been screaming and yelling about this in the Politics & Other Controversies forum for months now. I didn't think it was going to cause hysteria here in the city, but apparently I was wrong.

I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with a mosque being put up. But let's face it: the location was a pretty poor choice--and you can't tell me they didn't know exactly what they were doing. It was a little "in your face."
This is the only post that you wrote which I agree with.
This is also an issue I disagree with bloomberg on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You sure athiests are not feared by America? Remember ten years before september 11 2001, how about an whole entire era before the world on terror, yeah the cold war, Athiests were feared and even targeted because they are tied with communism like how muslimes are tied with terrorism or jews are tied with money. Now adays some say Athiests are more unAmerican then Muslims according to a survery. click on the link below. Ask any typical American soldier do you want to be in a foxhole with a muslim or athiest? He would probably rather be in a foxhole with a muslim. You dont have to be an Einstien to see this one coming!

Panic Over the Unknown: America Hates Atheists - The Jury Expert
Like I said before, that would be the right wing chrisitnas who might believe that. Otherwise you're just playing the victim. Nowadays it is more common to see people claiming not to believe in a higher power than 10 years ago. Guess what? The world has changed since then. Have you seen the change in television? 10 years ago it was still unacceptable to be gay. Today not too many people care unless it pertains to marriage. And guess what? It's the church that makes the biggest stink about that. So please don't play the victim because you are an atheist. You're not persecuted the way you might have been 10 years back. Bill Maher says it weekly on television and he has millions of fans.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Well in that case you shouldn't have a problem when a provocatively dressed women is raped, an abortion clinic is bombed, a catholic choirboy is sodomized or a new synagogue is attacked by neo-nazis. In one form or another, they were all "tempting fate"...

A govt of a democratic republic is obliged to defend the equal rights of all its citizens, not just when its convenient, popular or prudent to do so... now that is not to claim that a govt can prevent every rape, bombing, child abuse or hate crime. But it is obliged to prosecute accused perpetrators and use all its powers of prevention and deterrence.
Even George Costanza wouldn't be stupid enough to make comments like this, as if these were my beliefs. I'm talking about the public and what will happen. Do I think it's right? Hell no! Everyone should have a right to practice their religion and have a place of worship or practice the absence of a higher power in their belief system. How do you compare nazis and rapists to an angry mob? The angry mob is unfortunately calling all muslims terrorists while nazis hate every minority. Rapist are the same, out to hurt others. All should be prosecuted though if they do commit crimes. Rules are for all citizens no matter what their background.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Like I said before, that would be the right wing chrisitnas who might believe that. Otherwise you're just playing the victim. Nowadays it is more common to see people claiming not to believe in a higher power than 10 years ago. Guess what? The world has changed since then. Have you seen the change in television? 10 years ago it was still unacceptable to be gay. Today not too many people care unless it pertains to marriage. And guess what? It's the church that makes the biggest stink about that. So please don't play the victim because you are an atheist. You're not persecuted the way you might have been 10 years back. Bill Maher says it weekly on television and he has millions of fans.
For one I'm not a victim I was just saying how just one group of people are not liked by the genral public against all other groups of people. One group of people who don't like athiests are right wing christian republicans, they are the same group who do not want the mosque built near wtc site making it a media frenzy and national cause. I know in nyc we don't have time to care about religion or sexual orientation, all we care is about money and getting by for the next but for some people in this country they have issues and they want to deal with it and make it a nation wide rally call but they can't constition baby.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
For one I'm not a victim I was just saying how just one group of people are not liked by the genral public against all other groups of people. One group of people who don't like athiests are right wing christian republicans, they are the same group who do not want the mosque built near wtc site making it a media frenzy and national cause. I know in nyc we don't have time to care about religion or sexual orientation, all we care is about money and getting by for the next but for some people in this country they have issues and they want to deal with it and make it a nation wide rally call but they can't constition baby.
Thank you. I like this response much better. I personally was born jewish and I honor my religion but i'm not religious. I now pretty much consider myself agnostic. Most of the people I keep in my inner circle judge people on a one on one basis. Everyone has the opportunity to be nice or an a$$. So we don't care whether they are a religion, don't believe in religion, or their sexual orientation. Everyone is the same until they screw it up.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,305 times
@jaybrown80 man this is a place where peoples loved ones lives ENDED. they still can't put together all the body parts. man, if christians had done that, and i had lost a loved one, i wouldn't want any kind of church going up. and i'm a christian. not all muslims are responsible, but have some respect.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:50 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
@jaybrown80 man this is a place where peoples loved ones lives ENDED. they still can't put together all the body parts. man, if christians had done that, and i had lost a loved one, i wouldn't want any kind of church going up. and i'm a christian. not all muslims are responsible, but have some respect.
Yes, and some of those lives ended were muslim lives too. 9/11 didn't just happen to Americans and to Christians. And it wasn't "muslims" that did it, it was Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda happens to be muslims, not all muslims are Al Qaeda. That's like saying "Everyone who shoots an abortion doctor is a Christian, so no Christian should be allowed to build churches. I mean, aren't all Christians the same?"

I think that perhaps you should actualy think this through before saying "No way man, like that totally would hurt my feelings".

"it hurts my feelings" isn't an appropriate reason to trample the constitution. You can be prejudiced and a bigot all you want. More power to you. But you can't force your bigotry upon ALL people.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:07 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
i cant believe people are still trying to stop them from building it. while we're at it, we might as well stop letting women vote and start separating drinking fountains by the color of your skin again.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
i cant believe people are still trying to stop them from building it. while we're at it, we might as well stop letting women vote and start separating drinking fountains by the color of your skin again.
For that matter, why do things in half measures? We should just rejoin the British Empire as the subject colonies we were before all this independence stuff got started. God save the Queen!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 22,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I have not heard one argument against the Cordoba house except "it hurts my feelings". Hurt feelings doesn't trump constitutional rights.
Hello.

This thread has made for good reading, with good points made by both sides of the argument. I for one, am against the Cordoba house. Not on the grounds of it hurting my feelings, but because I know about Islam - I am an apostate - and I know what a structure like this means to Muslims. However, there is little point in actively opposing the building because it will probably be built regardless.

One thing every Muslim has in common, is that they all hold the Quran in the highest regard. No other book comes before it. And it is this book in which influences Al-Qaeda. A quote by one of CAIR's former chairmen:

“Islam isn’t in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Qur’an should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on earth”

- Omar Ahmed, Chairman of the Board of CAIR (Council of American Islamic Relations), San Ramon Valley Herald, July 1998

Omar wasn't a 'radical' Imam. But what he is saying is Islam's ultimate aim. You see, Islam is not just a religion, it is also a political system. And it certainly is not a religion to be equal with others:

"He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, however much the idolaters may be averse."

- Surah 9:33

"And He made you heirs to their land and their dwellings and their property, and (to) a land which you have not yet trodden, and Allah has power over all things."

- Surah 33:27

Two verses from the Quran. One can say these verses are specific to that time period only, but that is not the case with Islam. It's general consensus among Muslims that Islam is for all mankind for all times. There is zero room for reformation, either.

I hope I haven't offended anybody. I just wanted to give an insight with a little in-depth look at the inner-workings of the religion and show why I am against the Cordoba house. Have a good day, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City