Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM

122 posts, read 585,960 times

Advertisements

Where are the Ivy Leaguers hanging out in Manhattan? -- the 30 and 40-somethings.

By "Ivy Leaguers," I'm referring to graduates of the eight Ivies, as well as from MIT, Duke, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, or any of the preeminent, upper crust institutions of higher learning in America. Or in England (Oxford, Cambridge, etc.).

Yes, I realize most of them are quite busy with high-powered jobs, spending their wealth, making jaunts out to the Hamptons, moving and shaking their way through life in closed circles, and solving the world's problems (and unintentionally creating new ones – or intentionally). But when they are out on the town in Manhattan, what spots and places do they frequent? Are there places that effectively serve as unofficial Ivy League watering holes or eateries, for instance?

And where do the few Ivy Leaguers who aren't so busy with real jobs and high society hanging out? You know, the ones content to live off their trust funds, or as urban monks, artists & writers, and philosophers out of a Manhattan broom closet or perhaps less humble digs for some of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM

9,241 posts, read 24,012,111 times
The Harvard Club,The Yale Club and The Princeton Club.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM

979 posts, read 4,446,723 times
I didn't think Ivy Leaguers had a shelf life that long.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,992 times
Their busy screwing up America.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro4fcsl View Post
Their busy screwing up America.
... clearly a Yale man.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,242,120 times
They're at private members only clubs like the Union Club, The Links, and the NewYork Athletic Club.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,340,621 times
I generally see them at alumni, charity, and work-related functions, held at private venues, and at high brow cultural events. Those I know personally do not live in Manhattan and some portion of their socializing is done in the suburbs and/or out of town.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post

By "Ivy Leaguers," I'm referring to graduates of the eight Ivies, as well as from MIT, Duke, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, or any of the preeminent, upper crust institutions of higher learning in America. Or in England (Oxford, Cambridge, etc.).

And where do the few Ivy Leaguers who aren't so busy with real jobs and high society hanging out? You know, the ones content to live off their trust funds, or as urban monks, artists & writers, and philosophers out of a Manhattan broom closet or perhaps less humble digs for some of them.
Elite grads are a dime a dozen in New York. They're absolutely everywhere, including many in comparatively low-end jobs. I know a Yalie who teaches yoga, a Harvard grad who waits tables (he's also very fine actor) and a secretary who went to Vassar. It's not just the stereotypical banker/lawyer jobs that most people assume, although there are plenty of those as well.

You want to know where the elite playground is? It's Manhattan, south of 96th Street (with parts of Brownstone Brooklyn).

Old 08-19-2010, 12:45 PM

122 posts, read 585,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's Manhattan, south of 96th Street
Both the Upper West and East Sides south of 96th?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,340,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Elite grads are a dime a dozen in New York. They're absolutely everywhere, including many in comparatively low-end jobs. I know a Yalie who teaches yoga, a Harvard grad who waits tables (he's also very fine actor) and a secretary who went to Vassar. It's not just the stereotypical banker/lawyer jobs that most people assume, although there are plenty of those as well.
Very true. I know quite a few Ivy and Seven Sister grads who work in higher education and the arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City