Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,339,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
i have an MSW and my concentration was in research and policy. there are jobs in government, higher ed and public admin where you can apply these skills. hunter is a great school but tough to get into. the MSW program generally requires more credits than other master's programs due to fieldwork. so if you're working and going to school (as i was) it will take more than two years to complete. also, despite extensive training and hard work, social workers aren't compensated as well as others. you really need to be sure that it's what you want before diving in. investigate it some more and good luck to you.
OP, I suggest you rethink the possibility of studying social work because it may require you to work with and/or on behalf of people whom you have described in very derogatory terms here and on other threads.

You need to accept the choice you made to come here, quit complaining on the forum, take the advice that hundreds of people have given you, and figure out a solution. NYC promises no one a rose garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM

508 posts, read 2,116,119 times
I suggest you move back home and get a MSW from one of the great schools in Michigan. You could probably still get in-state tuition and not kill yourself waiting tables.

You are experiencing a typical hard working class lifestyle in NYC. NYC is hard living for those who are not wealthy or who did not have the good fortune to get good cozy deals. Great apartment and cheap and good job. The trifecta that is so hard to accomplish here.

I think if you wanted to come back to NYC after you've gotten your MSW that would be a better option. But you are already miserable here, and working to pay the rent and going to school here may just be a little too much for you. It's OK to say that NYC is not for you and that you have learned a lot but it's time to move on.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM

118 posts, read 442,841 times
I leave in two weeks, got my plane ticket today. It'll be nice going back home, where I get an 800 square foot luxury one bedroom with a view for the same price I'm paying here in Harlem with three roommates sleeping in an old, kind of janky 10' x 12' room. And I can open the window and it smells like fresh cut grass and clean air, not heavy Dominican cooking and dog ****. And if I call the police with a noise complaint, they actually respond. Amazing!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM

508 posts, read 2,116,119 times
Glad to hear it. I'm sure you will be happier there.

Just want to point out though, that so many of us native NY'ers have tried to warn you transplants about the negative points of NYC living, as much as we point out the good points. So many of you ignore our warnings because of the TV/Movie image of living in NYC. Just take this as a lesson learned.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,814,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
I leave in two weeks, got my plane ticket today. It'll be nice going back home, where I get an 800 square foot luxury one bedroom with a view for the same price I'm paying here in Harlem with three roommates sleeping in an old, kind of janky 10' x 12' room. And I can open the window and it smells like fresh cut grass and clean air, not heavy Dominican cooking and dog ****. And if I call the police with a noise complaint, they actually respond. Amazing!
A view? A view of what? You are from michigan correct? I hope you enjoy your view of the declining job market. Isn't the unemployment rate in Michigan like 9%, and the highest in the country?

ETA: My mistake. It's 13% and its the second highest after Nevada.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,055,320 times
Don't forget to read about how to decontaminate your stuff from the bedbugs before you go home, or else you will be bringing a pesky problem with you! Try the FAQs at bedbugger.com.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM

874 posts, read 1,656,363 times
OP, I guess you'll have to change your handle on here?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,297,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
Funny thing is there are plenty of places you can live outside of manhattan (within nyc) if you want to smell fresh cut grass, don't whine to us just because you couldn't handle living in Harlem. First it was a thread about the city being a dump, then within the same thread you found a guy etc. wtf?

Just make a decision, be focused and stick to your guns, you can't grow or thrive if your always complaining or comparing things that happened in the past.

Be thankful that you can pay your rent as well, there are plenty of young people struggling so hard right now, but as someone mentioned in this thread that struggle "won't be forever". Everyone has their up's and downs, you just don't find them complaining about it on city-data of all places.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,653,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Funny thing is there are plenty of places you can live outside of manhattan (within nyc) if you want to smell fresh cut grass, don't whine to us just because you couldn't handle living in Harlem. First it was a thread about the city being a dump, then within the same thread you found a guy etc. wtf?

Just make a decision, be focused and stick to your guns, you can't grow or thrive if your always complaining or comparing things that happened in the past.

Be thankful that you can pay your rent as well, there are plenty of young people struggling so hard right now, but as someone mentioned in this thread that struggle "won't be forever". Everyone has their up's and downs, you just don't find them complaining about it on city-data of all places.
That's what I was thinking. How does a single white female from the Midwest "research extensively" and wind up in a crappy apartment on a sketchy block in Harlem? She could've found a decent place in Queens in a safe neighborhood, or even parts of Brooklyn and gotten a better deal.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,033,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
That's what I was thinking. How does a single white female from the Midwest "research extensively" and wind up in a crappy apartment on a sketchy block in Harlem? She could've found a decent place in Queens in a safe neighborhood, or even parts of Brooklyn and gotten a better deal.
You and I are thinking alike. Sounds like poor planning on her part, and most likely the desire to just "be in Manhattan" and have a Manhattan address, and just completely disregarding personal safety. Newsflash to all new transplants to NYC: Manhattan is NOT the only borough of NYC! There are four other vast and wonderfully diverse boroughs that offer far better deals, rather than living in a shoebox apartment in Harlem paying astronomical rents and struggling to make ends meet, just to say to everyone that you live in Manhattan. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City