Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM

149 posts, read 358,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtonyc View Post
Truth be told, I have talked to many. They all say I should go to Law School.
They said that the only place they personally have seen recent grads or first year associates doing paralegal work is when a huge firm is dealing with a class action/doc review situation. I have a friend who used to work at a temp staffing firm and she told me not to go the paralegal route bc it is a dying profession. BUT , she staffed the firms that do the huge doc review jobs. So, she confirmed what the attys told me. I am curious about paralegal positions in smaller firms. Or city agencies.
I suggest you think long and hard about law school. Lawyers absolutely saturate the market in most cities and the lawyers I know that make good money work 70+ hours a week. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just saying you should really consider the kind of life and work you want. I personally think an MBA is one of the more flexible graduate degrees a person with professional experience can get. And an MBA from a top program will give you equal or better financial returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
We thought about LA. But, after a car and insurance etc. Is it really that much cheaper?
not if you want to live in the more desirable, non-gang infested parts of LA

Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
Quote:
We thought about LA. But, after a car and insurance etc. Is it really that much cheaper?
LA isn't exactly cheap either, if you want to live in any of the better neighborhoods. however, i'll say this: for the same amount of rent that you pay in NYC, you will get more space and it will likely be cleaner and in a better building.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 AM

6 posts, read 9,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLux2010 View Post
I suggest you think long and hard about law school. Lawyers absolutely saturate the market in most cities and the lawyers I know that make good money work 70+ hours a week. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just saying you should really consider the kind of life and work you want. I personally think an MBA is one of the more flexible graduate degrees a person with professional experience can get. And an MBA from a top program will give you equal or better financial returns.
Yeah, I do not think law school is the answer right now. when i finish the paralegal program and "pay my dues," I can always reconsider. The whole partner track BS is not for me. I love working long hours, but if I did go that route i would not go into corp, law. I would much rather serve the community.

thanks for the advice.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 AM

6 posts, read 9,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
LA isn't exactly cheap either, if you want to live in any of the better neighborhoods. however, i'll say this: for the same amount of rent that you pay in NYC, you will get more space and it will likely be cleaner and in a better building.
I am perfectly happy in my building. I live in a co-op in Queens. It was soooo affordable. Nothing fancy, but it is clean and I have a lot of room. i never dreamed I would be paying less in mortgage than i did renting when I was in Astoria. It is possible to live well and afford it. It just takes a ridiculous amount of research. I like to visit LA, but I could not live there.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
Quote:
I like to visit LA, but I could not live there.
yeah, i hear that all too often from ppl. in NYC...i think ppl in LA have a higher opinion of NYC than do ppl. in NYC of LA. just my $0.02

Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
if i fail at starting my own business and don't make it to my criminology career out of college. i am planning on being a cop. i refuse to not be able to work a job with money after graduating college. but im not just going to stay in nyc thought i will look all over the states maybe even other countries to make sure i get my college education worth.

if none of that works then i am off to working with the nypd.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
my friend who is in the army told me that in l.a the rents are higher then what people get paid at work.

i didn't think about how truthful that was until i saw gangland Atlanta and one of the Hispanic gang members also said the same about how the wages in l.a do not keep up with the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City