Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 13,024 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for an apartment in the Jackson Heights, Queens historic neighborhood. The immediate historic area is very nice, but the areas surrounding it are a bit dicey. Any feedback on Jackson Heights as a whole (stats on crime; cost of living; folks that live there, etc...)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I live there and find it to be a pleasant place with pretty good amenities. The cost of living is low compared with Manhattan and many areas of brooklyn, mainly because food is so cheap. However, besides the food, I think most other items are comparable with other nearby areas. The food is a major draw for many people and it gets written about quite a bit. Check chowhound (outer boroughs board) and a recent article in the NY Times by Seth Kugel. The area's amenities are slowly changing to reflect the tastes of more well-off residents. Recently Fresh Direct started delivering to the neighborhood. There is an espresso bar opening this summer on 77th and there is a Starbucks going in across from the post office.

The area is a mix of older residents (people who have lived there awhile) and the newer ones who are moving in from brooklyn and manhattan after being priced out. I wrote a post on here a week or so ago detailing the types of people who live in my building. Do a search and check it out.

Don't know about crime stats but I don't feel unsafe and I have come home alone several times at 2am. There is a Jackson Heights families group on yahoo groups (you must request permission to join) where many things about the neighborhood are being discussed.

The neighborhood definitely has an ethnic feel and many different languages are spoken. The language I hear most is Spanish.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhad View Post
Hi This is Fuhad are you looking for buying or selling property please call me
l

**** Fuhad.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-20-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Sorry, no advertising, even in a quote.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhaArch View Post
We have been looking for an apartment in the Jackson Heights, Queens historic neighborhood. The immediate historic area is very nice, but the areas surrounding it are a bit dicey. Any feedback on Jackson Heights as a whole (stats on crime; cost of living; folks that live there, etc...)? Thanks.
The JH Historic District is the expensive part of Jackson Heights. Surrounding areas are more slummy. Jackson Heights is known for its large Indian population. Neighboring Elmhurst has a large Chinese and Korean population. And every place has Hispanics mixed in.

Crime is minimal; stay west of 80th st. Cost of living is high to moderate to low; depending on area (Historic Districts, Forest Hills, Astoria, are higher). Queens is immigrant heaven; representing the world.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
It's always been sort of funny to me that Jackson Heights is known for its large Indian population. I've never seen any statistics, and I suppose it must have one of the larger concentrations of Indians versus most other areas of NY. And I, too, before I moved here thought of it as an "Indian area"

However, now that I'm here I see that there is really only one small area in JH that is predominantly Indian. It's a few blocks in a highly visible area, right near the main express subway hub at 74th St. and there are some fantastic Indian restaurants. Many Indians who don't live in the area (and some who do) come to shop for saris and gold jewelry and groceries and then they go back home to wherever they live. The Indian/Pakistani area definitely fills up like crazy with the shoppers' double-parked cars on weekends.

When I moved here (thinking like everyone else- that it's a stronly Indian area) I was surprised to find that in my part of the historic district of JH that I rarely encounter any Indians! My area is heavily hispanic and white with a few east Asians. Lots of signs and conversations on the street in Spanish.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 16,997 times
I currently live out on long island, having been in Jackson Heights my whole life. Currently, for the most part, it has a large diverse hispanic population. The only place you will see Indians is on 74th Street. It is a great neighborhood. I miss it and have never felt unsafe there!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Jackson Heights is not all Indian, unlike say, Richmond Hill. It is extremely diverse.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:55 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhaArch View Post
What surrounding areas did you find dicey? Just curious because I've only been to Jackson Heights a few times; it's not one of the areas of the city that I frequent.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What surrounding areas did you find dicey? Just curious because I've only been to Jackson Heights a few times; it's not one of the areas of the city that I frequent.
Jackson hts is a large area, some spots are better than others and there are some dicey places there.
while the area is nowhere near the level of bad as places in the bronx like mott haven or in brooklyn like bushwick, it certainly isn't as nice as places like forest hills or astoria or sunnyside.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's always been sort of funny to me that Jackson Heights is known for its large Indian population. I've never seen any statistics, and I suppose it must have one of the larger concentrations of Indians versus most other areas of NY. And I, too, before I moved here thought of it as an "Indian area"

However, now that I'm here I see that there is really only one small area in JH that is predominantly Indian. It's a few blocks in a highly visible area, right near the main express subway hub at 74th St. and there are some fantastic Indian restaurants. Many Indians who don't live in the area (and some who do) come to shop for saris and gold jewelry and groceries and then they go back home to wherever they live. The Indian/Pakistani area definitely fills up like crazy with the shoppers' double-parked cars on weekends.

When I moved here (thinking like everyone else- that it's a stronly Indian area) I was surprised to find that in my part of the historic district of JH that I rarely encounter any Indians! My area is heavily hispanic and white with a few east Asians. Lots of signs and conversations on the street in Spanish.
Very accurate Henna. I like J. Heights BTW. I think it has a lot to offer especially as long as it stays affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City