Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:07 PM

33 posts, read 133,137 times

Advertisements

Just something I noticed while walking around the city.

I'm a pretty seasoned city slicker, IMHO, and when I walk around the city, I am not the type of person to gawk around at everyone / everything. I mind my business and go on walking. That being said, why do random guys (particularly black old men in front of their buildings... no racial overtones, just noticing) make an effort to catch my attention to say hello?

Sometimes, I don't catch what they said the first time, or they'll say hi as soon as we pass each other on the street. Then they start shouting at me as if I had offended them by ignoring their greeting. Does anyone else encounter this?

If they do start repeating themselves, I do wave or say hello. It's just so random though.

Edit: Okay, my friend basically called me an idiot and said they were hitting on me. Although I don't understand why I seem to only attract black old men. I just thought it was something else like they were trying to intimidate the little asian girl walking along Harlem. Other opinions?

Last edited by asianktn; 08-21-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Just consider yourself lucky that they only say hello. When I walk down the street I get everything from "Hi" to "I want to come on your t*ts" to "Lemme take a bite a dat a$$"

I would say it happens 6-10 times a day depending on where I walk and how many times I go out. Usually it's anyone from a homeless man to someone working at a parking garage to just a random passer byers

Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
In my experience, black people say hello on the street. It's just what we do. I was just telling my friend that one of the things I miss in my new mixed building is that few of the white people say hello when we run into each other in the elevator, laundry room, or other public areas.

Older black men aren't really hitting on you, it's just a culture thing of saying hello to women. Like how gentlemen used to tip their hats to ladies back in the day. Now younger guys are a different problem and I simply ignore them.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
In my experience, black people say hello on the street. It's just what we do. I was just telling my friend that one of the things I miss in my new mixed building is that few of the white people say hello when we run into each other in the elevator, laundry room, or other public areas.

Older black men aren't really hitting on you, it's just a culture thing of saying hello to women. Like how gentlemen used to tip their hats to ladies back in the day. Now younger guys are a different problem and I simply ignore them.
Exactly, it's cultural and old fashioned. With the older guys, just nod and smile, and be on your way. Upson, I know what you mean about finding it strange when people don't speak. I'm generally the one to strike up a conversation. I think it helps to cut through what might otherwise be a tense moment for them.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianktn View Post
Just something I noticed while walking around the city.

I'm a pretty seasoned city slicker, IMHO, and when I walk around the city, I am not the type of person to gawk around at everyone / everything. I mind my business and go on walking. That being said, why do random guys (particularly black old men in front of their buildings... no racial overtones, just noticing) make an effort to catch my attention to say hello?

Sometimes, I don't catch what they said the first time, or they'll say hi as soon as we pass each other on the street. Then they start shouting at me as if I had offended them by ignoring their greeting. Does anyone else encounter this?

If they do start repeating themselves, I do wave or say hello. It's just so random though.

Edit: Okay, my friend basically called me an idiot and said they were hitting on me. Although I don't understand why I seem to only attract black old men. I just thought it was something else like they were trying to intimidate the little asian girl walking along Harlem. Other opinions?

I don't think they are hitting on you. It's cultural, mostly from the South. Go to Georgia, even young black men do it as well as older white men.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Just consider yourself lucky that they only say hello. When I walk down the street I get everything from "Hi" to "I want to come on your t*ts" to "Lemme take a bite a dat a$$"

I would say it happens 6-10 times a day depending on where I walk and how many times I go out. Usually it's anyone from a homeless man to someone working at a parking garage to just a random passer byers

Those type of comments are usually given to streetwalkers and TVS in the meatpacking district. No offense but it might be the way you dress. Tone it down a little.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Those type of comments are usually given to streetwalkers and TVS in the meatpacking district. No offense but it might be the way you dress. Tone it down a little.
Um, no offense, but aren't you a guy? So how would you know?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Really? So when I'm on my way to work in a pencil skirt, blouse and flip flops (yes i carry my heels in my bag) I'm a street walker? How about when I'm running to the grocery store to get some stuff in sweats and a tshirt...

Generally this stuff is said to me on 5th Ave. Also alot around my apartment in Cheslea on 8th ave. Also Grand St in Soho when I walk to work...

Hmmm didn't realize that business casual is what hookers wear these days...

Old 08-21-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Um, no offense, but aren't you a guy? So how would you know?

Because as she wrote the comments were coming from guys, not women. Those are the type of comments men make to women of a certain class. From Seinfeld, Men Talk.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Really? So when I'm on my way to work in a pencil skirt, blouse and flip flops (yes i carry my heels in my bag) I'm a street walker? How about when I'm running to the grocery store to get some stuff in sweats and a tshirt...

Generally this stuff is said to me on 5th Ave. Also alot around my apartment in Cheslea on 8th ave. Also Grand St in Soho when I walk to work...

Hmmm didn't realize that business casual is what hookers wear these days...

Then I feel for you. I've never seen you so I trust that you have just been unfortunate to run into so many tasteless men in your daily life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: