Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 35,841 times

Advertisements

Good evening New York,

I have a few questions about the commute into Manhattan from Middletown, NY. If anyone has done this before, please chime in.

This is what I understand:

That the Bergen Main line monthly pass is $65+ I was thrown off when I saw the price of $220+ for a monthly pass, but I assume that is for all of the NJ rail access. So, I can just purchase a Bergen Main line pass for $65?

I understand I will also need to pay $1.75 per ride for the PATH into the city each ride, or get a use pass.

Last, but not least, get an MTA monthly pass for $89 for the subways/busses in the city.

So total, if I'm understanding correctly, I would need to have on me three seperate passes?

Has anyone ever done this? Is the above correct? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:18 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain View Post

I understand I will also need to pay $1.75 per ride for the PATH into the city each ride, or get a use pass.

Last, but not least, get an MTA monthly pass for $89 for the subways/busses in the city.
Metro Cards are good on the PATH also. I think one ride is like $2.75 but I am not sure I always just buy a $20 card and use it till it's gone. I don't ride the subway much as I like to walk mostly.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Good evening New York,

I have a few questions about the commute into Manhattan from Middletown, NY. If anyone has done this before, please chime in.

This is what I understand:

That the Bergen Main line monthly pass is $65+ I was thrown off when I saw the price of $220+ for a monthly pass, but I assume that is for all of the NJ rail access. So, I can just purchase a Bergen Main line pass for $65?

So total, if I'm understanding correctly, I would need to have on me three seperate passes?

Has anyone ever done this? Is the above correct? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A monthly ticket from Middletown, NY, to Hoboken is $271. Not sure where you came up with $65. No monthly ticket on the Bergen/Main Line is that cheap, not even from Secaucus, which is the closest station to New York.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0020.pdf

You can get a 40-trip PATH pass (use the SmartCard) for $52. That's approximately one month, figuring 20 work days per month. Obviously that can vary depending upon days in the month and your schedule.

An alternative to that is paying $341 for a pass from Middletown, NY, to Penn Station, NY. You would make a transfer at Secaucus junction, but then you don't need PATH.

Whether you need an MTA pass for subway or bus depends upon where in the city you will be working. Same for the choice of train + PATH or train directly to NY Penn. You may be able to just walk from NY Penn or one of the PATH stations to your job.

In what part of the city will you be working?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Mightyqueen,

I'll be working near the NYU Med Center on the east side. Thank you for the information.

Here is where I got the info for those prices:

[url]http://www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LightRailTicketsTo]New[/url] Jersey Transit

Hudson-Bergen Fare InformationAdult One-Way $2.10
Reduced Fare One-Way $1.05
Children's One-Way $1.05
Monthly Pass $64.00

I noticed it said "light rail," as opposed to heavy.

Ohiogirl, thanks for the info. So the MTA monthly cards are good on the PATH as well, that's good news. I was under the impression I had to buy another ticket, thanks for clearing that up.

I'll be working M-F, so seems my best bet would be to buy a use pass for the Bergen rail, and buy a "by use" metro card. I'll have to crunch the numbers on this.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Mightyqueen,

I'll be working near the NYU Med Center on the east side. Thank you for the information.

Here is where I got the info for those prices:

New]New Jersey Transit Jersey Transit

Hudson-Bergen Fare InformationAdult One-Way $2.10
Reduced Fare One-Way $1.05
Children's One-Way $1.05
Monthly Pass $64.00

I noticed it said "light rail," as opposed to heavy.

Ohiogirl, thanks for the info. So the MTA monthly cards are good on the PATH as well, that's good news. I was under the impression I had to buy another ticket, thanks for clearing that up.

I'll be working M-F, so seems my best bet would be to buy a use pass for the Bergen rail, and buy a "by use" metro card. I'll have to crunch the numbers on this.
The light rail isn't anywhere near Middletown and that Hudson-Bergen fare has nothing to do with the Bergen/Main Line. Your train would be the more expensive one, sorry. The link I posted has its schedule and the fares. The train from Middletown comes down, cuts through Bergen County, NJ, and ends up in Hoboken. If you do start taking it, remember to look out the window when you are out in Meadowlands in late October. The sun will be rising behind the Empire State Building, and it's beautiful. The days/times will depend upon which train you are on.

Yes, that is correct that you can use MetroCards on the subway as well as PATH, and pretty soon there will be a refillable card that you can use on both, too.

It does sound as if you'll need to take the subway to get where you want to go. Either that, or you'll need to allow time to walk it.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The light rail isn't anywhere near Middletown and that Hudson-Bergen fare has nothing to do with the Bergen/Main Line. Your train would be the more expensive one, sorry. The link I posted has its schedule and the fares. The train from Middletown comes down, cuts through Bergen County, NJ, and ends up in Hoboken. If you do start taking it, remember to look out the window when you are out in Meadowlands in late October. The sun will be rising behind the Empire State Building, and it's beautiful. The days/times will depend upon which train you are on.

Yes, that is correct that you can use MetroCards on the subway as well as PATH, and pretty soon there will be a refillable card that you can use on both, too.

It does sound as if you'll need to take the subway to get where you want to go. Either that, or you'll need to allow time to walk it.

Awesome, thanks. I knew I was missing something there. It's going to be a long commute, but I'll bring a book to make good use of the time. Currently I do a 3+ hour roundtrip commute, so this shouldn't be too bad. Appreciate the info.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
If your going to work at the NYU Medical Center, why take the PATH train? A more direct route would be to transfer at Secaucus to NY, walk on block north to 34th and hop on the crosstown bus to 1 Av. Even w/ the PATH you still need to take the bus to get to your destination. At least that's what I would do...

Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I knew I was missing something there. It's going to be a long commute, but I'll bring a book to make good use of the time. Currently I do a 3+ hour roundtrip commute, so this shouldn't be too bad. Appreciate the info.
You are welcome.

I've been commuting from New Jersey to New York for 31 years.

Yeah, shoot me now. But I have always commuted from different places in north Jersey, which took me about an hour and 20 minutes. Now I live down in Monmouth County, and my commute is 2 hours each way.

Yes, that's reading time. I just went to the library yesterday and took out three books so I know I have something to read starting tomorrow.

Sometimes on the way home it's nap time.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
If your going to work at the NYU Medical Center, why take the PATH train? A more direct route would be to transfer at Secaucus to NY, walk on block north to 34th and hop on the crosstown bus to 1 Av. Even w/ the PATH you still need to take the bus to get to your destination. At least that's what I would do...

I am not a familiar with city buses, OP, since I can walk to my office from PATH, so this is probably a good idea coming from someone who knows the city system.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
The OP is using the Metro-North Port Jervis line , not NJT Bergen / Main system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City