U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,476,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreatness555 View Post
Really? I'm Italian and Hispanic, are you making ignorant stereotypes again? What do you know about NY history? Did you know that Irish-Americans were considered lower then Blacks when they arrived here? Huh? They had it WORSE then Blacks in NY for being Catholic and immigrants? They couldn't get jobs, they were, beaten, murdered, and even enslaved. "No Irish Need Apply" ring a bell? Maybe you should go back to school.
I'll give to the Italians, they never owned slaves in this country. While the Irish may have been the poor immigrants in NYC at one time, at the same time many of their rich immigrant cousins owned slaves in other parts of the US. They owned so many that many Black Americans are actually more Irish than they are African regardless of appearances. Actually more Black Americans should participate in the St Patrick's Day Parades across the US.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-24-2010, 03:06 PM

5,726 posts, read 19,059,565 times
Also since I live among PR's, Blacks, and Dominicans I can tell it to all of you straight.

Not all black and Pr's get along. In fact, I know alot of Ricans who resent AA.
But to be specific:

Nuyorican and Puerto Rican are two different things. African Americans and Nuroyicans are the best of friends. Nuyoricans are usually americanized, speak little if any spanish, listen to hip-hop, and dress the same as AA. Example of this is Fat Joe. African Americans share alot in common with NY ricans. They are interchangeable. This also goes with Dominicanyorks who speak mostly english and have teh same interests as African-Americans.

Now...the animosity is between African Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans. The Puerto Ricans who come from the island or who are recent arrivals here...do not get along with AA. These PR's have nothing in common with the AA and have way more in common with Dominicans. The difference in culture seperates AA and carribean hispanics. AA would pick on these recent arrivals and joke on their broken english, they way they dress etc...Dominicans go through the same thing.

In my hood...the Dominicanyorks and Nuyoricans chill with African Americans..they're in the same gangs, hustle together, and consider each other brothers.

In my hood....the older Dominicans and Puerto Ricans chill together...excluding African Americans. It basically comes down to culture. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans speak spanish, listen and dance to salsa, merengue, bachata and have many more things in common while with AA they have nothing in common...they can't even communicate with each other.

But I will say the younger groups of Dominicans stick to themselves....where I live there aren't many young Puerto Ricans....here they're either Nuyoricans or older Puerto Ricans...

It all comes down to culture...hope I cleared things up.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:07 PM

5,726 posts, read 19,059,565 times
Should clarify..I don't think any group hates the other...more like avoid the other.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,303,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Actually what brought down rome was their over spending and lazy ways. Which kinda sounds familar.
According to Eward Gibbon and the Fall of the Roman Empire what brough down Rome was the populace denouncing Zues and other Greek Gods of Worship in favor of Worshipping Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ made Many Romans Passive people.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 PM

876 posts, read 2,057,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
According to Eward Gibbon and the Fall of the Roman Empire what brough down Rome was the populace denouncing Zues and other Greek Gods of Worship in favor of Worshipping Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ made Many Romans Passive people.
Oh well since eward gibbon said the fall of the roman empire was due to the populace worshipping Jesus Christ then that must be the answer. Come on. The fall of the rome empire was due to many reasons. Yes the barbarians(which were celtics, germans were one of many celtic tribes), overspending, too few working people supporting too many non working people, among other things. But this thread is about blacks and puerto ricans I think we should stop talking about the romans.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,476,716 times
The Puerto Ricans and the Blacks should have more solidarity with the Jewish people. They have given a hand to them more than any other race or ethnicity. Of course most young Jewish people don't like to act thuggish like most young Puerto Ricans and young Blacks in the city seem to do. I guess maybe they are not that cool to hang with after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City