Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Also Puerto Ricans and Puerto Rican culture to various degrees is mixed with African in some of it's people and culture(Roberto Clemente,bomba music and dance).

Salsa music, Reggaeton and my favorite Tego Calderon.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Simple. Discrimination. Puerto Ricans arrived during a heavy dose of discrimination of the 40's, 50's, 60's and probably during the 70's. Puerto Ricans were seen as low as blacks by a lot of Whites. They had to live with the Blacks since Whites did not want them in their neighborhoods. The Blacks did not mind the Puerto Ricans living close to them or in their neighborhoods. There was not so much tension. So the two groups learn to accept each other as friends and neighbors. For example I read that in Little Italy in the Bronx, there were business signs on the doors or windows that read stuff like 'No dogs, Puerto Ricans or Blacks allowed'. Imagine the rampant discrimination back then. The police were not to fond of them either. They treated them as bad as they treated Blacks. Lots of beatings. You won't see such level of discrimination today. For example, Dominicans did not had the same level of discrimination. They came later in numbers in the 70's, 80's and 90's and that is why they are not that close to either Blacks or to Puerto Ricans in NYC.

Yeah, I don't get it. Domenicans clearly have more African genes than Puerto Ricans but don't have the same connection or affection for African Americans. Some that I have talk to deny any relations to being black.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
the history of blacks and puerto ricans in nyc together goes way back.

the schomberg center for research in black culture was started from the historical collection of african-latin, and african american contributios to society, of the distinguished black puerto rican historian arthur a schomberg.

he was born in puerto rico and moved to harlem in 1891. he moved to an already established black, puerto rican, cuban neighborhood in harlem from puerto rico.

the schomberg center is located on 135th st and lenox ave. much of what we know today concerning african, and latin history in the carribean, north, central, and south america, is because of this great puerto rican.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 PM

56 posts, read 153,093 times
Wow this is a joke of a thread right? NYRicans and NYBlacks are like 1 people in NYC, extremely close, always have been, always will be.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
For example I read that in Little Italy in the Bronx, there were business signs on the doors or windows that read stuff like 'No dogs, Puerto Ricans or Blacks allowed'
Where did you read that line of BS?
Site a source or don't make silly statements like that.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Where did you read that line of BS?
Site a source or don't make silly statements like that.
Is no BS and I am not making silly statements. I think I read it on a magazine but years ago about some businesses of Italians in the Bronx, but you can find that it did happened though,

NYC MOSAIC

Puerto Rican migration to New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Battle Over Bilingual Ballots ... - Google Books

http://cb9m.blogspot.com/2006/04/4-h...ing-views.html

http://tv.popcrunch.com/breaking-med...al-boundaries/

Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 10,913 times
You know how much it really sucks to be white? I've always wished I could have been born some other race. Not Black, Hispanic or White but something else. "White" people is such a negative term in my eyes and I'm white. On top of that I'm mostly German. I really hate my heritage.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Mekitor----show me where it says Little Italy in the Bronx.
I know that area well.
I've known it all my life.
Thru the 70s--80s--90s and today.

FYI---I just asked an 'old timer' that knows that area as far back as the 40s--and he too knows nothing about it.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxus Vahlii View Post
You know how much it really sucks to be white? I've always wished I could have been born some other race. Not Black, Hispanic or White but something else. "White" people is such a negative term in my eyes and I'm white. On top of that I'm mostly German. I really hate my heritage.
It is ashame that you feel that way about your heritage. White people built this world. If it wasnt for your ancestors we would all be living in the stone age. Especially germans, most of the rocket tech we have is from germany. Most of the smartest scientist are of german heritage. You should be proud. I blame the way you feel on the media and how whites are protrayed.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
It is ashame that you feel that way about your heritage. White people built this world. If it wasnt for your ancestors we would all be living in the stone age. Especially germans, most of the rocket tech we have is from germany. Most of the smartest scientist are of german heritage. You should be proud. I blame the way you feel on the media and how whites are protrayed.
Germans also brought down Rome which ushered in 1000 years of darkness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City