Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times

Advertisements

2600 NEWS: ONE LAST CHANCE TO SAVE THE HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA

Unbelievable! First Penn station. now the hotel. What next?! the post office!

I'm all right with tearing down the garden though. it's a crime against humanity what they did to penn station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,213 times
I know - I felt the same way when I saw on the news tonight the plan for the new skyscraper and where they planned on putting it. The Hotel Penn was the first thing I saw every morning after getting off the LIRR back in the VERY early '80's. It's a shame.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 PM

151 posts, read 300,485 times
That hotel is a dump. Couldn't care less if they tore it down.

Now the Hotel Drake on Park Avenue that was torn down and for nothing and is just a big gaping hole on such beautiful and upscale street....that's a crime against humanity.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,085 times

Hideous.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I don't think that building is hideous..I think if you look at all the other drab, brown buildings that are the bulk of the housing stock..including Penn station...now those are hideous.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:43 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,299 times
I was almost going to stay there the last time I visited NYC.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think that building is hideous..I think if you look at all the other drab, brown buildings that are the bulk of the housing stock..including Penn station...now those are hideous.
That's a preference, isn't it? I notice that the buildings you write off as 'drab, brown' all have one thing in common: their exteriors are done in brick rather than metal. Call me a Neanderthal if you have to, but I still think that brick looks better than metal.

I also notice that most of the older buildings feature a lot more in the way of details than the modern metal towers. There isn't a building that's gone up in the last 50 years that can touch the Empire State Building for looks or style. After a while, I begin to think that the overwhelming majority of today's architects are nothing more than a bunch of failed artists.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's a preference, isn't it? I notice that the buildings you write off as 'drab, brown' all have one thing in common: their exteriors are done in brick rather than metal. Call me a Neanderthal if you have to, but I still think that brick looks better than metal.

I also notice that most of the older buildings feature a lot more in the way of details than the modern metal towers. There isn't a building that's gone up in the last 50 years that can touch the Empire State Building for looks or style. After a while, I begin to think that the overwhelming majority of today's architects are nothing more than a bunch of failed artists.
You beat me to it. Modern architecture gets worse and worse. What happened to beautiful pieces of work like the Chrysler Building? Or even the former World Trade Center, while in the simplified International Style, was fitted with interesting details. Does everything built today have to be a glass box?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
That tower would be a nice addition to the skyline, plus would add more office jobs in a convenient location. The Hotel Pennsylvania is nothing special...

Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
That tower would be a nice addition to the skyline, plus would add more office jobs in a convenient location. The Hotel Pennsylvania is nothing special...
I don't object to a new addition to the skyline. Or a location for more jobs. I just don't care for the proposed design. Now, if they were talking about something more along the lines of the Chrysler Building, that would be a different matter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City