Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 PM

200 posts, read 324,592 times

Advertisements

I'm a Native New Yorker & I had went to Austin, TX last Spring & am deciding to move there sometime in the near future. Unfortunately, w/ this Economy (& being in a Career Transition) I'm stuck & waiting to get experience here (NYC) so I'll already have those skills that I need to apply for jobs down there. By keeping myself motivated on this goal @ 1st I was thinking of going to LaGuardia Airport (b/c I'll have a better view of planes close up compared to where I live on a Flight Path TO LaGuardia) & watch the planes take off & depart to remind myself of my Austin trip (it was more of a business trip than a vacation - you know see if there's any opportunities in your field when there aren't any here in NYC anymore). That is, remembering how I felt leaving Austin (I was on American Airlines.) knowing that being in Austin just Felt Right & that (mentally) Austin, TX became my home & that I would be going back.

So, as I started doing my research on where I can go in the Airport to watch planes I stumbled on something called "Plane Spotting". Of course, I'm NOT into Spotting (no interest in Aviation), but I found out about "Landing Lights" & "Planeview Park" where you could actually Get Close to them where they'll fly right Over Your Head b/c these places are Very Close to Runway 4. Well, I went, took pics of planes passing me, going Over me & approaching the Runway (I don't have a professional camera to take pic of them Touching Down.). These Planes ARE HUGE (compared to where I live)!! (They seem SO Close that looking up I could see the Windows, Tail, Wheels, & anything on the bottom/sides on the plane - Even if there's Paint or a Scratch!!)

& So I have 2 Questions:

1) (About) How many Feet would you say these Planes are when they Fly ABOVE ME in "Landing Lights"/"Planeview Park"?? I'm SHORT! & I'm 4 ft & 9 inches "Tall".

1a) AND How High would it be Flying Over a person w/an Average Height?

Of course, I know these Planes ARE EXTREMELY LOUD as they Go OVER You. I found on the Internet (b/f I went) that people said that the ground Vibrates b/c they're So Loud! & YES that IS TRUE!! I was standing on the bench facing the Runway & felt the bench shake as the plane was approaching or landing on the Runway.

I'm a Musician (YES I Also NEED MY EARS!!) & DON'T WANT to LOSE My HEARING ( that is, ruining my musical career & of course, my goal to living musically in Austin)!! I'm NOT Planning to go to "Landing Lights"/"Planeview Park" as a "Weekly Thing" or making it a "Routine" (though when a plane snuck up from behind me as I was walking down "Landing Lights" field & Flew Over me I was FREAKED!! & thinking that I was being smart to stand where I thought I could get a pic from the side of the next 1 Again I get Flown Over, but this time I started to run away b/c these Engines Were SO LOUD!!

However, I went on being determined to take pics whether it was standing Under the "Enterprise Rental Car" or taking more @ "Planeview". But, like a child who loves going on Roller Coasters (I'm SCARED of Riding Roller Coasters & PLAN NOT TO RIDE 1 EVER!! I'm Afraid I'll fall off the Tracks.) for the THRILL of it I felt the same way w/ these Planes. @ 1st I Freaked Out/Scared, but then I don't know I found that having them Flying Over me became a Thrill!! Now, I WANT Them to Fly OVER ME (Would you believe that when I left that day I was thinking Laying Down in the "Landing Lights" field & watch them Fly Over me??!! Cool!! ) CRRAAZZY!! HUH?

So, I'm planning to go again (to get more pics of them landing on Runway & going Over/Passing Me & I was thinking of getting someone to take a pic of me W/ a Plane GOING OVER ME!! Standing Up - maybe Lying Down I don't know, but I think that'll be Cool!! )
BUT I DON'T WANT to LOSE MY HEARING!!

I have Ear Plugs (Soft Foam), but Still I DON'T WANT to LOSE My HEARING (the time I went I didn't think of bringing them/putting them on)!
2) Would Ear Plugs Help in General or Will the Engines Still Damage My Ears?

2a) Would these Soft Foam Ear Plugs (although I do have another diff. kind) be ok to wear??

***Depending on how much during the day W/out "Pushing My Ears" I can take more pics of them on Runway & more from Over & Passing By me - This includes someone taking pic of me & the Plane mentioned above this would be my last time. IF for some reason I can't do ALL this in 1 day & I would have to come back I won't go back until let's say a month or couple of weeks - something NOT Too Close to the day I go.)

Any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated!

Last edited by certaincircles; 08-24-2010 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: Capitalizing Title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City