U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:27 PM

791 posts, read 1,372,617 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I was on a line in a Subway behind this...bim...who WOULD NOT STOP playing with her PDA, or what ever it was, while she was ordering her sandwich.

There's a huge gap between her and the person in front of her. I have to practically YELL so I can get pickles on my sandwich because she has her big economy sized fanny IN THE WAY. She finishes up keeping me waiting because she has to pay for her 5 buck sandwich with a friggin' CREDIT CARD.

This is classic passive aggressive rudeness. You see it all the time on the street, where clots of hapless pedestrians get stuck behind some IDIOT who cannot stop YAKKING but insists on blocking up the sidewalk.

I think: a) the Police should ticket these people, as they would me if I sat in the middle of the sidewalk on a busy street and b)since 'excuse me' is lost on these cyber-clods, normal people should be encouraged to give them a good hard shove, accompanied by a comment, as follows:

YO!!!! STUPID!!!! FRIGGIN' MOVE!!!!

And, if their attention is diverted from their cellular gizmo by something even they might notice, like a 10 megaton thermonuclear airburst, a healthy dollop of Krazy Glue on the earpiece...heh, heh. Then, It'd be literally glued to their head.

Venting [off]

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 PM

4,502 posts, read 12,974,531 times
Why didn't you just say "excuse me but the line is trying to move". Maybe she would have come out of her digital haze.

I know what you mean --- these imbeciles think they and their PDAs are the most important thing in the world and can't be bothered being considerate of others. They hold up lines, they stop in the middle of a sidewalk, etc.. I agree with you ---- a good "accidental" shove may wake them up.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM

40,048 posts, read 33,165,316 times
I hear you loud and clear, WildCardSteve.

The other day, I was on an F train bound for Coney Island. There was a guy seated about ten feet away from me, with his little hand-held computerized doodad about two inches from his eyeballs. When the doors closed at Neptune Avenue he jumped up out of his seat and declared, "Oh, sh*t!" I smiled quietly to myself. There's hardly anything more amusing than one of these digital dimwits--a wonderful phrasing, by the way--suddenly jerked back into the real world.

They give the expression "get a life" an entirely new meaning.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM

483 posts, read 825,129 times
Amen to everything stated above. We embarking on Age of Aquarius... where "digital dimwits" severely plugged into the matrix by endless wires of PDAs and mp3 players are getting dumbed down. They should unplug themselves and read a book.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM

963 posts, read 2,207,824 times
There is an article in the New York Times this week on this subject. Researchers are saying that folks who are constantly plugged into pda's playing games and texting are not giving their brains any down time for storing and cataloging memory. As a result, they are not really learning much because the brain needs idle cycles to store what is taken in. Case in point: How many of us remember more than two or three phone numbers nowadays? Twenty years ago, before digital everything we could probably commit a list of twenty or thirty numbers to memory easily. I think it is affecting the young especially so, as they often equate intelligence with the ability to work a pda or facebook page. The ability to reason and think deeply is being lost in this generation. Along with that, I think the rudeness that is so common online is showing up in the shocking lack of basic manners in many young people. They are so glued to their phones that they do not say excuse me when they bump into someone or cut them off. Even a simple thing like boarding a bus; My generation knew how to form a line. Many twenty-somethings just bunch around the door and squeeze in without any sense or order while keeping the headphones or phone plugged in. These are not healthy trends.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:08 AM

23,715 posts, read 28,878,114 times
Rent Wall-E and get a glimpse of our future in communication. I give it one more generation that person to-person contact will be gone and writing anything with your hands will be gone. The US will probably go nearly 100% dimwit before any other country (next in line is Japan). Out of the many countries I travel to, the US is the only country that I've seen that does not shut the things off (or place into vibrate mode) when they go home for the day. This is not just as current generation issue. I am from the last generation of baby boomers and in IT have my device in on 24/7. And when I'm walking in any city, I pull out my Droid for walking directions and it gets me where I'm going. I rarely purchase a newpaper anymore. This has become a new language in itself that all in some way will have to learn to survive. Even when my wife and I are home, we don't yell across the house to find each other. We text.

If you dont understand how this is occurring, think about the last time you went up to the TV to change the channel (replaced by remote) or used a VCR to record something (replaced by DVR/TIVO). I dont know anyone who uses a film based camera anymore ( I look at my Pentax FS1 SLR and dont have the heart to throw it away as no photography club will take it).

Look at your home phone bill, many of you are still be charged extra for TONE service. I walk into the homes of some of my elderly relatives that still have rotary phone hard wired into the wall.

If you want to bring this down another level just think how you ever survived without an EZ-Pass and there are already roads you cant drive onto without one.

BTW when you get your next new passport and they welcome you at the counter by name and you go WTF, welcome to the world of RFID (I could have text typed the whole thing but it gives some something to google).

Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 AM

40,048 posts, read 33,165,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Case in point: How many of us remember more than two or three phone numbers nowadays? Twenty years ago, before digital everything we could probably commit a list of twenty or thirty numbers to memory easily.
I don't think that's on account of our brains not having enough time to catalog and store things. I think it's on account of sheer, unadulterated laziness. There's a whole generation of people who can't function unless they're plugged into something.

Try telling a class of fifth or sixth graders that they can't use any electronic devices when they take a test--or even better, tell them they have to do the research for a report at the library, not online. (Most of them probably don't even know what a library is!) Watch them flopping around like beached fish. They've become helpless, plain and simple.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Case in point: How many of us remember more than two or three phone numbers nowadays? Twenty years ago, before digital everything we could probably commit a list of twenty or thirty numbers to memory easily.

Now we have URL's, Passwords, Passphrases and Security Questions. Oh yea alot easier the a list of phone numbers.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Try telling a class of fifth or sixth graders that they can't use any electronic devices when they take a test
It actually starts late JHS or MS to HS. They do everything on a TI-84. Everything we used to memorize they stick into memory of the calculator. Everything we used to chart, they input into the calculator for it to come up on the screen. In my real world we have this generation working with us and all us of that dont use calculators usually come up with the required numbers well before they finish typing in the data into their calculator. This is a U.S. problem not a worldwide problem. Remember the SAT's we had 1600 questions and no calculators allowed. They now have 2400 questions and get to use calculators. Problem is by ther latest national average their scores are lower.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 AM

44,253 posts, read 60,785,668 times
I don't think those people are being passive-agressive. I think they are being oblivious. There is no way they can concentrate on their conversation or texting or whatever and walk and navigate nearly as well as they could if their heads weren't somewhere else. So they literally don't know who is behind them or beside them or whatever. If I were a pickpocket, I'd have a field day with these self-important morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City