Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,452 times

Advertisements

Moving from kennsington to crown heights....thinking about a great apt. on New York Ave btwn Lincoln and St. Johns.

Can anyone give me some honest info on that street/area? No through the grapevine info, though please. I've heard plenty of that.

I've been there to see the place during the day, drove around at night...but looking for a bit more insider info.

Bottomline: is it safe enough for a young female to walk around alone at night...late night from the train, to the store, etc.?

Thanks! Looking for answers ASAP, so hopefully somebody's got some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
Nobody can predict that something bad is going to happen to you, but I wouldn't be walking late at night thinking that you are in some safe neighborhood and is crime free. That area still has crime problems and the chances that you become a victim of crime are probably higher than been in Park Slope. Just keep aware of your surroundings and don't wonder all over the area late at night. That is all I can say.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,452 times
Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmb View Post
Moving from kennsington to crown heights....thinking about a great apt. on New York Ave btwn Lincoln and St. Johns.

Can anyone give me some honest info on that street/area? No through the grapevine info, though please. I've heard plenty of that.

I've been there to see the place during the day, drove around at night...but looking for a bit more insider info.

Bottomline: is it safe enough for a young female to walk around alone at night...late night from the train, to the store, etc.?

Let's see, you would be 3 blocks from the Nostrand Avenue stop on the 3 train. Nostrand Avenue is the main strip and tends to stay fairly populated unitl late evening. The stores are located on Nostrand and I believe that there is a fruit stand/store that stays open 24 hours.

The safefy issue is something that is kind of tricky regarding information. I have walked through the neighborhood all times of night and have not encountered any problems but I am a black male so their is that factor to consider. Now there is someone that I know that lives where you are talking about and she walks home late at night with no problem and I have never heard her say anything negative about that particular area.

As with any neighborhood, I am sure there are some good and bad points surrounding where you are talking about and as a general rule, a woman needs to be careful when she is out at night but I see no particular danger points in that area you are talking about. Unless you are someone who roams through their neighborhoods, you probably will never have too much of a reason to go more than 3 or 4 blocks to get your general neighborhood necessaties (store, supermarket etc.) and if you are going out and retunring late, I would keep to the general rule of catching a cab.

FWIW, I have really never heard of a female having too many issues in Crown Heights except for the issues of guys trying to talk too them, which I guess can be pretty uncomfortable since some guys can be overly aggresive and turn a hello into a 30 minute reality show.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:

new york avenue itself is quiet....which may be good or bad...because at night time it can be isolated except for passing vehicular traffic, not much pedestrian. but also not a lot of noise. we really cant predict if something will happen to you or not there; as crime happens all over this city. but the particular block you're inquiring about is not bad, its not crime central. however, if you want to go to the store, your closest option will be nostrand avenue a block to the west (thats the main commercial drag in that area), and honestly i think nostrand avenue is one of the most dangerous streets in brooklyn. it passes through bed-stuy, crown heights, borderline of flatbush and east flatbush, midwood, homecrest, and sheepshead bay. and out of all those neighborhoods homecrest is the only neighborhood where nostrand avenue is decent. its even a little unsavory in midwood (nostrand from avenue I to avenue L). im a black male and i dont like walking on nostrand avenue at night...especially in that part of crown heights.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Quote:

You are not the first white female to ask about crown heights. I would like to know what is so special about crown heights that attracts white females.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
You are not the first white female to ask about crown heights. I would like to know what is so special about crown heights that attracts white females.
where did the OP say that she was white?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
im a black male and i dont like walking on nostrand avenue at night...especially in that part of crown heights.
Hey Seventh, Just curious about something...when was the last time you were on that strip of Nostrand in Crown Heights?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
where did the OP say that she was white?
Actually she or he or whatever was been posting this same question over and over again with different screen names. Actually been to crown heights recently and there are a lot of whites there. The area has very much changed over the years. In fact most of nyc has changed over the years for the better.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Hey Seventh, Just curious about something...when was the last time you were on that strip of Nostrand in Crown Heights?
earlier in the summer....prolly may or june

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: