Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 10:18 PM

200 posts, read 324,219 times

Advertisements

I've learned about "Planeview Park"/Landing Lights Field thru YouTube regarding the "Plane Spotters" thing. I went to both places & actually experienced the Planes flying Very Close to you. Wow!! I took pics & couldn't believe in this experience that you could actually see the Airline name written on the plane, the windows, & whose window has the shade pulled down & who doesn't have the shade pulled down, etc. To understand what I see Please Go to YouTube & type in (Especially THIS 1) "LGA ILS Runway 4 Compilation of Landings During Rain" , or "Planeview Park", "Plane Spotting @ LGA", & "JetBlue A320 Landing R4 LGA". This should give you an idea of how close they fly & how high they fly Over the "Landing Lights Field" w/ those Antenna looking lights & how high they fly right over the Tree just b/f they land on Runway 4.

So here are my questions:
1) I'm SHORT! & I'm 4 ft & 9 inches "Tall". How many Feet would you say these Planes are when they Fly ABOVE ME in "Landing Lights"/"Planeview Park"??

1a) AND How High would it be Flying Over a Person w/an Average Height?

Matter of fact, when a plane snuck up from behind me as I was walking down "Landing Lights" field & Flew Over me I was FREAKED!! & thinking that I was being smart to stand where I thought I could get a pic from the side of the next 1 Again I get Flown Over, but this time I started to run away b/c these Engines Were SO LOUD!!

So here's my last questions:
2) Would Ear Plugs Help in General or Will the Engines Still Damage My Ears?

2a) Would these Soft Foam Ear Plugs (although I do have another diff. kind ) be ok to wear??

Please Don't Be Offended, but I'm a Musician (YES I Also NEED MY EARS!!) & DON'T WANT to LOSE My HEARING (b/c obviously this would Ruin my Career)!! I'm NOT Planning to go to "Landing Lights"/"Planeview Park" as a "Weekly Thing" or making it a "Routine".

I DO Respect All You Pilots in what you do & Respect those who are "Plane Spotters" as well it's just that Music is my passion (& Field) & the Only reason why I went to "Planeview Park"/Landing Lights is to experience the closeness of these Planes (compared to the feet/altitude of the Planes that fly over my house 30mins. away from LaGuardia). I just found it Amazing & fascinating.

Although, after getting over my Freaked Outness I'm planning to lay down in the Field of "Landing Lights" & have someone take of pic of a Plane Flying Over Me. Sounds Crazzy. Huh?? (I know I'm Crazy. That's what Rock Musicians are!).

Anyway, I'm open to any answers (or feedback) to my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
I was into watching airplanes when I was a little kid. I am going to take a guess and say that the planes are no more then 200 ft above you at Landing lights field.

When the planes you the east/west runway they are about 600ft over Queens Blvd/58st-61st.

Go here, LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR and click on a blue plane(arrivals) you can see at what altitude the plane is. Click the map range at 5 miles, the planes disappear from radar when they get to 200ft.

Most definitely wear ear plugs, hearing loss is irreversible.

LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR

Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM

200 posts, read 324,219 times
Vantastic,

Thank you for your reply. You had suggested:

Go here, LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR and click on a blue plane(arrivals) you can see at what altitude the plane is. Click the map range at 5 miles, the planes disappear from radar when they get to 200ft.

Well, I clicked onto "PASSUR" website on my mother's Apple (Leopard) Computer and it didn't go thru. It loaded, but I couldn't find the "Blue Plane Arrivals". All I saw was the Map on the left, the Mileages on right, the "Current", "Pause", or anything on the top & the #'s on the bottom right.

So, I went to the library & tried it on their PC & that too Didn't work. SOME of it loaded (my mother's loaded more of it), but again I didn't get the "Blue Plane Arrivals". It said or had a "Java Script" where the Map usually is, but it only loaded the info. on the top & only parts of the Mileages.

So, I don't know why this website isn't going thru on Both Computers (I know they say that you can't Download stuff on Library computers, but in my experiences I have been able to Download stuff on Library computers b/f.)

(Oh, & by the way, when I showed a couple of pics that I took from "Landing Lights"/"Planeview Park" to my co-worker (who knows math - I'm not good at measuring things) he said that it might be around 200ft. But when I asked him how it could be when I felt that these planes looked & felt CLOSE as they flew by he said that b/c they are HUGE it's gonna feel & look that way even though they are far away. ANYWAY....)

Would you know of any other website besides this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City