Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,567 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved to the east coast and am trying to find an apartment. Last week I found a two-bedroom apartment. It is a co-op and requires board approval. I liked the apartment so I decided to give it a try. The agent and the owner pressured me to sign the lease and turned in the application for board review within an hour. Now it is under review. They will have a in-person interview in two weeks. After that, they will know if I get the approval or not.
Since I signed the lease in a hurry and didn't clarify some of the details. Now I really want to meet the owner and the agent again and go through those details. But the agent and the owner are avoiding me. They said they will only meet me after board approval.
This brings me a lot of concern. Now I feel very upset with the owner. I wonder if I can withdraw my application. I'd rather lose the application fee than starting an unhealthy landlord-tenant relationship. If I just call the office and withdraw my application or no show at the board member meeting, they wouldn't approve me and then the lease won't be effective, right? Do I have to take any additional responsibilities?
I am asking you because I found very little information anywhere else. Could anyone please give me some advices? Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chwangph View Post
Hi, I just moved to the east coast and am trying to find an apartment. Last week I found a two-bedroom apartment. It is a co-op and requires board approval. I liked the apartment so I decided to give it a try. The agent and the owner pressured me to sign the lease and turned in the application for board review within an hour. Now it is under review. They will have a in-person interview in two weeks. After that, they will know if I get the approval or not.
Since I signed the lease in a hurry and didn't clarify some of the details. Now I really want to meet the owner and the agent again and go through those details. But the agent and the owner are avoiding me. They said they will only meet me after board approval.
This brings me a lot of concern. Now I feel very upset with the owner. I wonder if I can withdraw my application. I'd rather lose the application fee than starting an unhealthy landlord-tenant relationship. If I just call the office and withdraw my application or no show at the board member meeting, they wouldn't approve me and then the lease won't be effective, right? Do I have to take any additional responsibilities?
I am asking you because I found very little information anywhere else. Could anyone please give me some advices? Thank you so much!!!
This sounds like a job for bad tenant man. Go to the meeting. Wear your worst cloths and make sure you smell pretty bad. Say how you love loud music and how you have guest over late at night after you come home from the local bar. Start asking them stupid questions like does anyone pee in the hallway. Sometimes you get high and play ring and run by yourself make those kind of comments and I am pretty sure you wont have any problem. But whatever you do dont tell them you want out of the lease because they wont care. This is just my opinion and there is no legal or otherwise views here.
Also talk about how your dog wont shut up and always barks. If they say animals are not allowed you say I really dont care if I move here so does my dog. This can actually be fun for you. Also ask if any woman on the board would be interested in an orgie you are having next month.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
If you don't show, they can't approve you and you won't have a lease. It's seems pretty simple, but I'm not a lawyer.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,567 times
Thanks for the replies. The first one was hilarious. I wonder if there is any consequences if I don't show up at the meeting. I didn't read anything about not showing from the lease. Anyone in this field can assure me about this assumption?
I don't want to play tough with them. I want the apartment and I don't want to screw them. But they are refusing to meet me before I get the approval, after which I don't have any position to argue my rights anymore. I think anything is workable but they ignored me ever since I signed the lease and their attitude really disturbed me.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chwangph View Post
Thanks for the replies. The first one was hilarious. I wonder if there is any consequences if I don't show up at the meeting. I didn't read anything about not showing from the lease. Anyone in this field can assure me about this assumption?
I don't want to play tough with them. I want the apartment and I don't want to screw them. But they are refusing to meet me before I get the approval, after which I don't have any position to argue my rights anymore. I think anything is workable but they ignored me ever since I signed the lease and their attitude really disturbed me.
Nothing will happen to you if you don't show.

What's the landlord gonna do? Sue you for not showing up to a co-op board approval meeting?

Yeah, let's see how that'll work in a NYC courtroom. Completely laughable!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City