U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,871 times

Advertisements

Im moving from California to Manhattan with my husband who is going to school in Columbia and a 1.5 year od son. we have university accomodation at riverside drive near sakura park.
I have some questions about kids in NY -
1. im an architect and will work in a firm in the city - i need to find childcare for my toddler. Should I find something close to home or work? Do people take their kids by subway in the morning to daycare??
2. is the area safe? ive been told by columbia students it is as the entire block is columbia housing - any special precautions with a child?
3. any interesting classes i should not miss with my son? any resources?

thank you so much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 PM

137 posts, read 974,802 times
The upper upper west side is a nice place for a toddler. The neighborhood is safe and lovely. You will find that a lot of restuarants a bit south of columbia (around 96th) are very baby friendly. I would look for a daycare near your home. That way you don't have to schlep the baby on the crowded train, plus you can find something more affordable there. Barnard College has a babysitting service. I would suggest using them to find a babysitter, I have always found them to be wonderful. If you ever get stuck at work it helps to have someone from the uni available to pick up your child.
The children's museum on 83rd and amsterdam is fabulous for toddlers. Bank Street bookstore on Broadway and 112 is great. The bottom is kids' books and the top is teacher stuff, games and early childhood books. Local churches and synagogues have a variety of classes and programs. The synagogue on 100 and broadway is lots of fun.
Enjoy the area. There are lots of nice little playgrounds in Riverside park. The hippo playground on 91st has sprinklers. The dinosuar playground on 97th is nice too.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,213 times
Default RE: TODDLER in manhattan

I agree with eslteacher. Once you pin down your location, you can find your daycare options online. The most complete site seems to be childcareavenue.com. The
Manhattan (New York City) New York (NY) childcare providers and child day care centers
page for Manhattan also has a map of all locations.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,573 times
Nancyram-we are in the same boat as you were. I'm interested in your thoughts now that the move already happened and it's been a few years. How did it all work out? Where did you find childcare? Where is a good location to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: