Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM

769 posts, read 2,047,012 times

Advertisements

Are you currently working and do you have proof? The few places I have spoken to said I could show them an offer letter for a job in the tri-state area stating what my salary will be when I move or recent paystubs. Of course they want tax returns for the past 2 years also, so that will show them that I am used to making that level of income. Do you have an offer letter or employment contract to show?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 AM

9,242 posts, read 24,018,888 times
Sorry to hear this,Nala.
I always found personally that the best way to find an apartment was on foot. Pick a neighborhood,Pelham Parkway let's say.Go there early in the AM and walk up and down the blocks.You will find lots of signs on the fronts or sides of buildings that say "apartment(s) available see super" or "inquire within"or" call xxx xxxx." You may stumble on a smaller real estate office that has listings that are not advertised anywhere other than their window.All of this also enables you to get a real feel for a neighborhood and what blocks or buildings you might want to avoid.
Most all NY buildings have a sign somewhere on front that has the management company name and phone number, even if they don't have an apartments available sign.
I'm not in the city right now otherwise I would go out today and get some numbers off of buildings and send them to you.I'll be back next week.
Good luck !

Old 09-02-2010, 06:57 AM

966 posts, read 2,440,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaShadow View Post
Put yourself in the position of the landlord. Are you at present
working, right now? If not, I would not even talk to you unless you
wanted to put a years rent in my hands. Leave of absence could mean
anything in spite of the pay stubs. Parkchester is big enough to have a constant string of
renters who do not pay and have to be evicted which takes time and
money. I trust you and believe you but they cannot afford to and have
many years of experience that I don't have. I've been gone awhile from
the area and also find it hard to believe you're having this much
trouble. The folks here have given you good suggestions. Good luck!
I have put myself in the place of the property owners. I have never stopped working. That is not the point. Even on my leave of absence, I was working. I can see now how confusing this must be to people who are not in the academic world. This is not about me. Apartment searching in NYC does take longer than one week. When I was in Wisconsin, my thinking was similar to yours. How hard can this be? Trust me, or if not me do some online inquiries and talk to other New Yorkers, it's harder than you think. There is a culture here now of fear, understandably, and greed.

I appreciate all the feedback, but we can all do without the judgments.

Last edited by Nala8; 09-02-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Are you currently working and do you have proof? The few places I have spoken to said I could show them an offer letter for a job in the tri-state area stating what my salary will be when I move or recent paystubs. Of course they want tax returns for the past 2 years also, so that will show them that I am used to making that level of income. Do you have an offer letter or employment contract to show?
Thanks, newyorker24. I have all of the above. I will just persevere.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
My husband and I are in a similar boat as we are moving out there without "jobs" (I do freelance work, we both are actors--the reason for the move, and we are restaurant workers (of which all of our friends and associates tell us out there, there is an abundance of work)). We also DO have a lot of money saved up, however what I would recommend is looking for a sublet. We really lucked out and got a beautiful furnished one for 8 months, so that will give us plenty of time to get settled and acclimated, as well as see if that neighborhood is for us or look elsewhere. Subletting often takes a lot of the crazy requirements asked for by brokers and real estate agents out of the picture. In fact, very often none or very little of that is needed. Do be careful, of course, of scams but since you are already there (as opposed to us who are still across the country for another month), you should easily be able to avoid problems. There are a lot of longer terms sublets on craigslist and I find the scams are pretty obviously so.

I think this is very common (subletting) when people first move here. In fact the woman will be renting from said we are pretty lucky because when she first moved to NY years ago she moved from sublet to sublet for the first 1-2 years.

Hope this helps!

Yes, I have been considering subletting. This will give me more time to find the right apartment. Thank you.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Add Inwood to that list and parts of Astoria(further from the subway) as well. Bay Ridge may be too far for you though.
Thank you. I lived in Inwood years ago. Will definitely give it a go again. Nice tips.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Sorry to hear this,Nala.
I always found personally that the best way to find an apartment was on foot. Pick a neighborhood,Pelham Parkway let's say.Go there early in the AM and walk up and down the blocks.You will find lots of signs on the fronts or sides of buildings that say "apartment(s) available see super" or "inquire within"or" call xxx xxxx." You may stumble on a smaller real estate office that has listings that are not advertised anywhere other than their window.All of this also enables you to get a real feel for a neighborhood and what blocks or buildings you might want to avoid.
Most all NY buildings have a sign somewhere on front that has the management company name and phone number, even if they don't have an apartments available sign.
I'm not in the city right now otherwise I would go out today and get some numbers off of buildings and send them to you.I'll be back next week.
Good luck !
Bluedog2, you rock. Thank you so much for all your help and great advice. I am finally realizing that the internet can only go so far--kinda like dating and job searching. People can represent or misrepresent themselves any way they want to hook you in and then turn out to be nothing of the sort. I will definitely be beating the pavement from now on. Something will break for me soon. I just have to persevere. Thank God we are in between semesters and that I can actually get some teacher prep work done on the trains.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,783,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Bluedog2, you rock. Thank you so much for all your help and great advice. I am finally realizing that the internet can only go so far--kinda like dating and job searching. People can represent or misrepresent themselves any way they want to hook you in and then turn out to be nothing of the sort. I will definitely be beating the pavement from now on. Something will break for me soon. I just have to persevere. Thank God we are in between semesters and that I can actually get some teacher prep work done on the trains.
Hi Nala, welcome home! I also see many signs on buildings out here in Bay Ridge, which by the way, has many great deals. I don't know if you would even consider Bay Ridge but if so, let me know and I'd be happy to jot down some numbers for you. Also, you may want to put up your own ad in Craigslist's "apts. wanted" section. You will get a lot of realtor's as well as private landlords responding. Like you, I was extremely proactive in my apartment search and ultimately that's how I got this place, my landlord found me.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Hi Nala, welcome home! I also see many signs on buildings out here in Bay Ridge, which by the way, has many great deals. I don't know if you would even consider Bay Ridge but if so, let me know and I'd be happy to jot down some numbers for you. Also, you may want to put up your own ad in Craigslist's "apts. wanted" section. You will get a lot of realtor's as well as private landlords responding. Like you, I was extremely proactive in my apartment search and ultimately that's how I got this place, my landlord found me.
Hey makossa, thanks a lot. It's great to be back. I tell you, even this apartment searching has been fun in a way. Getting out there and meeting new people every day, and getting to know NYC all over again, including neighborhoods I never even knew existed.

Not too sure about Bay Ridge. Afraid it might not be a good fit.

As for posting a Craigslist ad, the thought has crossed my mind several times. Had a great showing out in Pelham Parkway area today. I am keeping all my options open nonetheless. We shall see...

Old 09-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks, everyone. I found my dream apartment in the Pelham Parkway area yesterday--via an angel of a broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City