Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM

12 posts, read 19,674 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I've only been in the Nashville forums, but I've recently took up a taste for NYC. I've never visited, but have a friend who has family there. He's told me how much he loves it, and I think I would too.

Here's my story: I'm moving to Nashville for training in the field of audio engineering. I want to either go on tour and run sound, run sound around my home area, or work in a studio. I'm not sure if I'd be qualified for any other sound-oriented jobs. So I was thinking after I get done with school in Nashville, that I could move to a bigger city. I considered Southern Cali, and NYC as my too choices. I have read a few of the dislikes and likes of the city, and think I would enjoy it's public transit/cabs. One thing I am uncertain of is cost of living. I'm not sure how my career would play out in NYC. So I have a few questions for the locals and transplants that have been in the city a while.

1) Can I make it working in the career field I have chosen? I want a decent apartment, and don't want to starve.
2) If you say that I can make it with a bed, and not starving, where should I look for an apartment? I have no idea on what kind of income I would have, but I guess $1000 is an average place?
3) What's the cost of using the subways/buses?
4) I currently live in a small town in KY. Do you think moving to Nashville, TN will prep me for NYC?

Thanks,

thedrumjunkie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 11:22 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
NYC is absolutely nothing like Nashville or KY. The current fare for the subway/bus is $2.25 per ride, but it will go up. The subway is one of NYC's few bargains. A rent of $1000 is not going to get you anything comparable to what you would get in Nashville for that price. You will certainly need roommates for a while. The cost of living is probably about 4-5 times higher in NY than Nashville, although groceries (outside of Manhattan) and clothing arem't all that different and NYC sales tax is actually lower and less goods are taxed than in Nashville. In Manhattan, even fast food places cost more. You may love Nashville, but do not expect it to be a stepping stone to becoming acclimated to city life, New York City style. NYC is much, much larger. If you wanted to try an in- between type of city to see if you like urban life, try Philadelphia or even Columbus, Ohio where many people from Kentucky live.

Years ago, I sort of worked in that business. You will need some strong contacts to break in and expect work to be low paying and sporadic for quite some time. No one will really care if you went to school for it or not (although Berkley might help). Experience matters more and who you know. I suggest that you visit NY first to see if you like it and make sure that you visit neighborhoods outside of Manhattan to get a handle on how most New Yorkers really live. Before moving, acquire a significant amount of savings or see if family will be prepared to subsidize you for at least a year.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:52 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times
You really need to visit NYC before you decide to make that move. And don't just visit in the fall for 4 days and do all the tourist things. Visit in January, stay for 2 weeks, and as mentioned above go see the outer boroughs.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:04 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
As long as you're not looking for a prime Manhattan apartment, and are willing to commute from an outer borough, you stand a much better chance of finding what you want. You should see if you can network with a friend, since it would be better to move with a friend, and built-in roommate, since you could afford a nicer apartment.

It's never too early to plan. And, if your budget would allow, see if you can take a one month sublet in the city to see if it's for you, living in an area where you would likely live if you were to move to the city. There are many great things about NYC, and some that are tiresome, no matter one's income/budget, since they are constants. If you can make the city work for you, you will love it; however, if you are worn out by the daily drudgery of congestion, traffic, etc., then you would not like NYC even if you were in a $5M apartment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City