Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,614,889 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a gym or some place me and my friends can train that will allow us to have a "walk in" session (meaning, you pay for going to that gym for one day) so we can train. We're looking to spar and do some grappling and we're just tired of doing it on grass, astro turf and not all of us can afford to go to NYSC, Crunch, Ballies or any posh gym with a crazy membership.

Looking for anything between Bronx, Queens and Manhattan. Anyone know a place that's relatively cheap for a walk in for the day?

Crunch is out of the question for a walk in. I asked them how much a walk in as and it's 35 dollars for the day. Not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM

762 posts, read 1,741,444 times
For a very inexpensive option, NYC's Dept. of Parks and Recreation runs several fitness centers in all boroughs. Some have pools, and pretty much all of them have spaces for strength training, cardio, basketball, etc. Be forewarned - they are not very high-end at all. But they're clean. Floor mats? I assume so. It's been a few years since I've been to one. You would have to check out the facilities near you or convenient to most of your friends.

The membership is $50/year for access to the centers without pools only, and $75/year if you want to use the pools. I believe that when you join, you have access to all of the facilities (of the type you pay for) to work out on your own, but classes are extra. Also, not sure if this is for a limited time or not, but the website states that all the centers are free on Mondays to non-members, as part of something called "BeFitNYC Free First Mondays". Here's the link: Recreation Centers : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation. Click on the tab for your borough to find the center nearest you.

Last edited by citychik; 09-05-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 09:27 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,614,889 times
Thanks! I never thought about that. I'll have to do a good amount of searching though to find out which ones have a floor mat or something though. Then how much it would cost for my friends to use it. Thanks for the advice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City