Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

who will be their? where all my west indies and caribbean fans at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
who will be their? where all my west indies and caribbean fans at?

I'm in the Bronx tonight at my GF's place. She's Domenican but for whatever reason that makes no sense to me she doesn't see herself as Caribbean. However we are going to be there, it will be her first time and my third. So if you see an older Polish guy making out with a hot Dominican girl say "what up."

Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I'm in the Bronx tonight at my GF's place. She's Domenican but for whatever reason that makes no sense to me she doesn't see herself as Caribbean. However we are going to be there, it will be her first time and my third. So if you see an older Polish guy making out with a hot Dominican girl say "what up."
hahahah as for dominicans it depends , im haitian american and i have plenty of times Dominicans who ask how Haitians are accepted as west indian but not Dominicans lol. they are but a lot are into the hispanic culture since they are Hispanic. but in crown heights youll find a few Dominicans representing lol.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
hahahah as for dominicans it depends , im haitian american and i have plenty of times Dominicans who ask how Haitians are accepted as west indian but not Dominicans lol. they are but a lot are into the hispanic culture since they are Hispanic. but in crown heights youll find a few Dominicans representing lol.

Yeah I don't get it. Dominicans and Haitians live on the same island. She gave me the language reason but that doesn't make sense because Haitians speak French and other West Indians speak English. They relate to each other. She also told me that Haiti at one time ruled DR and they were not kind. She also said WI are black and Dominicans aren't. Couild have fooled me when I saw some of her relatives. In the end I can't wait to have a good time. I'm looking forward to some curry goat and a chicken Roti.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Oh yes....I am starting to hear the sounds as they gear up for the parade. My street, although not noisy right now, is more active as I suspect people are going to and coming from J'Ouvert or getting prepared for the beginning of the parade. The neighborhood will be filled with the sites and sounds of everyone winding down the Parkway in the morning and the food smells will be blowing in the wind. The parade is a lot of fun and I hope you and anyone else attending enjoys themselves tomorrow.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah I don't get it. Dominicans and Haitians live on the same island. She gave me the language reason but that doesn't make sense because Haitians speak French and other West Indians speak English. They relate to each other. She also told me that Haiti at one time ruled DR and they were not kind. She also said WI are black and Dominicans aren't. Couild have fooled me when I saw some of her relatives. In the end I can't wait to have a good time. I'm looking forward to some curry goat and a chicken Roti.
wow alot of dominicans are black or brown skin , but yea one nice agrument she could of gave you was that haitians up north preferably live with other west indians whereas most dominicans do not. so us haitians feel united with the other islands.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Dominicans don't really associate much with the carribbeans islands until recently. Dominican republic reminds me a lot like guyana who also isloated itself from south america only to clain its self a carribbean country. Only recently dominican republic republic got involved in caribbean affairs it even wants to be a full partner in caricom but only an associate member at moment since its economy dwarfs all others from cuba to tobago. But the past dr isolated its self from the caribbean espicially since cuba was communist and haiti a traditional enemy they could not reconcile with. Have fun dobt get trampled.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
wow alot of dominicans are black or brown skin , but yea one nice agrument she could of gave you was that haitians up north preferably live with other west indians whereas most dominicans do not. so us haitians feel united with the other islands.
Haiti used to fight against cuba for being communist and dr they had bad relations with. They saw anglo west indian countries. As friends and partners. However its not the same anymore ever since the haiti earthquake and the british west indies where the last respond. Cuban doctors where already on the island giving aide and dominicans gave more aide than any other island. Many in haiti felt rejected by slow reponse. From other carribbean countries. The earthquake allowed cuba and dr to boost their relationship with niegborhing haiti.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Dominicans don't really associate much with the carribbeans islands until recently. Dominican republic reminds me a lot like guyana who also isloated itself from south america only to clain its self a carribbean country. Only recently dominican republic republic got involved in caribbean affairs it even wants to be a full partner in caricom but only an associate member at moment since its economy dwarfs all others from cuba to tobago. But the past dr isolated its self from the caribbean espicially since cuba was communist and haiti a traditional enemy they could not reconcile with. Have fun dobt get trampled.

i think only the dominicans who live with caribbean folks get involved with the culture like for example at the parade most dominicans i saw were either half dominican or just rocked with the haitian floats.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Haiti used to fight against cuba for being communist and dr they had bad relations with. They saw anglo west indian countries. As friends and partners. However its not the same anymore ever since the haiti earthquake and the british west indies where the last respond. Cuban doctors where already on the island giving aide and dominicans gave more aide than any other island. Many in haiti felt rejected by slow reponse. From other carribbean countries. The earthquake allowed cuba and dr to boost their relationship with niegborhing haiti.
your 100 percent right when the dominican president went to haiti recently he was welcomed with cheers. thats an improvement from a couple years back they had to surround him from mobs.

btw where you at the parade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City