Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Rudy cleaning up the City sort of took a lot of these places out on account of shady business practice and drug charges.

The NYC dance club / party scene is nowhere near Los Angeles, Miami, Las Vegas, Toronto.

I remember hearing about a lot of these places but never seeing them in person. I'm glad during my early 20s I lived in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:22 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
talk about having good times, I remember in the late 90's early 00's when I was in my late teens/early 20s..even then you had some crazy spots. I noticed a lot of the spots that I used to frequent have turned into other things (condos, tame posh lounges) but its all good. Be thankful for what you have now, in a few years you might be in another city not so lively. I agree on the nightlife in certain places in Europe (London, Berlin, Frankfurt)..ridiculous!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:49 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
the nightclub scene moved to Miami

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 AM

16 posts, read 45,472 times
Drugs and RE drove the good old clubs out of the city. The good days of Sound Factory will never be seen again in NYC; it’s a different time now, different people, different scene, and different needs/wants.

Now its all about bottle service, table RSVP, glamour and status. The days where kids wore book bags, kicks and t-shirts to clubs and really only went out to enjoy the music are a thing of the past.

There are still some places left; Cielo is awesome on the right nights. Sullivan Room and Shelter cater to the underground crowd, and as someone mentioned before Santos Party House is the new kid on the block and it’s a great addition to the night club arsenal.

Times are changing, but the ones that really want to listen to some great music, dance and enjoy the night club scene will always find where to go.

And I’m surprised no one mentioned Arc; that was an amazing place, probably the club I miss most.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Funny that this NYC nightlife thread showed up. I'm actually visiting for the weekend and looking for some spots where a tourist can experience the true NYC nightlife all of you describe of grunge/rock/rave music, socializing, and big dance floors and laid back bars. Times Square at night gets monotonous in about twenty minutes. And I can bypass the snooty glam-rap infested, Top 40 blasting, obnoxious yuppified nightclubs and lounges, I deal with more than enough of those where I am. I wouldn't mind a hip-hop or latin nightclub as well, as long as those places aren't exclusive to that race/culture and welcome a more integrated crowd.

Are there be any places and neighborhoods left where I can find the following?
I recently went to Hiro Ballroom at the Maritime Hotel. I had a great time dancing the night away. Mostly white and Asian, some black and spanish mixed in. I love the decor, and the DJ was phenomenal. Some top 40 of course, but mostly hiphop. He even took it back to older (90s) hiphop I swore I would've never heard again at a nightclub. I wish I could recall what I heard, but the vodka got a hold of me not too long after I made my entrance-so I can't recall.

It gets packed in there, the dancefloor was all grinding bodies with the dancers on the sheets above. I definitely recommend.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
the nightclub scene moved to Miami
Not at all surprised, the drug use in the clubs beats NYC by a long shot.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:30 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I recently went to Hiro Ballroom at the Maritime Hotel. I had a great time dancing the night away. Mostly white and Asian, some black and spanish mixed in. I love the decor, and the DJ was phenomenal. Some top 40 of course, but mostly hiphop. He even took it back to older (90s) hiphop I swore I would've never heard again at a nightclub. I wish I could recall what I heard, but the vodka got a hold of me not too long after I made my entrance-so I can't recall.

It gets packed in there, the dancefloor was all grinding bodies with the dancers on the sheets above. I definitely recommend.
Wow I was just at the Hiro Ballroom tonight myself and it sucked f'in dick.

Then again, I'm from places other than New York where you can actually go out and have a decent time.

Nothing like a $10 dollar cover for a club with 40 people in it, and $11 dollar call drinks.

No wonder the dance club scene is lacking- everyone is out for the $$$ and not the happening in New York.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM

103 posts, read 301,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
HEY.

I feel like the dance club scene in NYC has been lacking over the years. I haven't been clubbing for very long (only since I was 20, now I am 24) and I feel that a lot of the dance clubs have been closing (Club Exit, Avalon, just to name a few) and the club scene is just very minuscule in NYC. There's PLENTY of lounges and bars with small dance floors, but there's not many dance clubs in NYC that have several different floors of music to dance too, or huge laser lights and fog effects and the rest of spectacles that dance clubs or made of.

There's Pacha, Cielo, Webster Hall, Sullivan Room, Rebel. Just the ones I can name off the top of my head but not for nothing, it's not saying much. Pacha, Cielo and Webster Hall can be fun but it just hasn't been the same to me. (Sorry for this rant)It seems like the NYC clubs have a crazy man to lady ratio and on top of that, most the men creep up on women like there's no tomorrow and then a very respectful guy like myself can't get any women because the ladies seem to just want to be in there crowd. It's not only the women but the people in general. It just seems like no one goes to clubs to socialize in NYC anymore but to just be with there crowd of people and have fun. Which I understand but me personally-I am always down for meeting new and fun people and especially always interesting in meeting a nice woman. (Sorry about that little rant/complaint. Just wanted to throw that in there)

The clubs are pretty expensive but I can't complain about that because they are always expensive. I don't know but it just seems like the clubs scene is not that big of a deal in NYC nowadays. I can find plenty of bars/lounges with small dance floors but I just miss the clubs where I have plenty of space to dance and go crazy, instead of being cramped.

Anyone else feel the same way? Agree, disagree? Discuss.
What are some good lounges with small dance floors that play hip hop that I can go out to. I'm from Chicago and I was surprised at the club scene here. In Chicago most lounges and bars have dance floors and the covers are never no more than $10, drinks are reasonable, and they have a softer dress code. The older crowd 30 and up step and have a stricter dress code and the young crowd under 30 go to the clubs for hip hop/dance music. The steppers are at the lounges and bars and the clubs for certain steppers night event. So its a club scene for everyone there. Chicago just doesn't have the mega club scene with three floors of dancing which is insane. Every lounge or bar I went to here there was no dance floor just good music and everyone standing around talking. I'm just trying to find a nice spot I can go to on the weekends and have a good time.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:43 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,414 times
Chelsea and the Meat Packing District still have large clubs with different levels and a dance floor, like SOB's, Slate, 40/40; but there isn't that wide range anymore, I don't want to hear top 40 all the time and if I want to check out hiphop I prefer 80's-90's stuff, not the crap these 21 year olds listen to. Thank you Latikeriii btw for the tip on Santos, my girl and I were trying to locate the place as "the club Q-tip dj's in". Anyone know any good Reggae spots in Manhattan or good Latin ones, I know Brooklyn and the Bronx have them respectively, but I want to know about Manhattan.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Is the Roxy and the Palladium still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City