Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I think it must be wierd for any woman to be looking after someone else's kids when she'd rather be with her own. But most women work outside of the home these days and that's life. Unfortunately, the nanny can't afford a nanny--her kids are probably with relatives or daycare.

I'm sure some women do this job on their way to something better (probably the younger ones). For a woman without much education and a family to boot, I don't know where she would find the time to do what's necessecary to "move on". I'm sure a nanny is a much better job than many alternatives for someone without an education. I know that some nannys are very well educated, but I really think that most are not.

I do find it odd in Manhattan when mothers go out with their kids and the nanny. It's like they can't manage to be out of their house with their own kids on their own. It seems very pampered.
I have noticed that as well and think it rather excessive.

I will let everyone in on a dark secret: The Moth had a nanny. Well, sort of. When I was a toddler, my mom worked part time and a nice lady from Cuba would look after me. Her husband was a doctor, but was working as an orderly while he mastered English and could return to practicing medicine. He eventually did.

She loved the Moth and the Moth loved her. What could possibly be wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM

188 posts, read 406,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I think it must be wierd for any woman to be looking after someone else's kids when she'd rather be with her own. But most women work outside of the home these days and that's life. Unfortunately, the nanny can't afford a nanny--her kids are probably with relatives or daycare.

I'm sure some women do this job on their way to something better (probably the younger ones). For a woman without much education and a family to boot, I don't know where she would find the time to do what's necessecary to "move on". I'm sure a nanny is a much better job than many alternatives for someone without an education. I know that some nannys are very well educated, but I really think that mnyost are not.

I do find it odd in Manhattan when mothers go out with their kids and the nanny. It's like they can't manage to be out of their house with their own kids on their own. It seems very pampered.

Yes, that ticks me off the most. Ive seen entire families, the mom and dad, and even grandma, and the Nanny! I was once in Bed Bath and Beyond shopping, and I saw a woman picking up various items she seemed to like and giving the items to the other woman to hold. I thought, well wheres the baby? If the baby was there, that could justify the reason she was giving the items to the other woman. But nope, it was just the two of them. (and she couldnt possibly hold the items herself) All I could do was shake my head.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have noticed that as well and think it rather excessive.

I will let everyone in on a dark secret: The Moth had a nanny. Well, sort of. When I was a toddler, my mom worked part time and a nice lady from Cuba would look after me. Her husband was a doctor, but was working as an orderly while he mastered English and could return to practicing medicine. He eventually did.

She loved the Moth and the Moth loved her. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Ive watched nannies and their charges interact, and there is always pure genuine care and concern, and even love. Ive seen children scream as their parents take them from the arms of their nanny looking at their parents like complete strangers. I understand the job and connection for what it is, its only on a problem when I dig a little deeper. I have and will continue to just look at it for what it is. A job.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
Ive watched nannies and their charges interact, and there is always pure genuine care and concern, and even love. Ive seen children scream as their parents take them from the arms of their nanny looking at their parents like complete strangers. I understand the job and connection for what it is, its only on a problem when I dig a little deeper. I have and will continue to just look at it for what it is. A job.
The Moth was more than a job to my nanny. I was her little Mothito.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
I think you really need to find something more pressing to complain about. These women are working jobs many people (including white) would love to have, in this economic time. Many of them are treated practically as members of the family, and as you say, often the child is closer to the Nanny than to Mom the CEO who is always gone. This job is often just the foothold these immigrants need to stay in the US instead of go back to the turmoil of where they come from.

I also find it interesting that the race, but not the sex, of these nannies bothers you. One could just as easily complain than Nannies (and childcare in general) are virtually always female, whatever the race, and this is "keeping women in their place" going back far longer than 1810. But you only seem concerned about the racial aspect?

I am a gay man, and I suppose, by your logic, I should be "offended" to see gay hairdressers, since that is a "stereotypical" profession? Should I take offense every time I see a gay hairdresser that he is not "shattering historical trends" by being a linebacker instead? Or should I be happy for someone who's doing something he's good at and making a good living (many of them making quite a better living than I)?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The Moth was more than a job to my nanny. I was her little Mothito.

Im sure you were more than a job to her.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Im sure you were more than a job to her.
Thank you. Now I shall fade back to those days that live only in my dreams...

Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think you really need to find something more pressing to complain about. These women are working jobs many people (including white) would love to have, in this economic time. Many of them are treated practically as members of the family, and as you say, often the child is closer to the Nanny than to Mom the CEO who is always gone. This job is often just the foothold these immigrants need to stay in the US instead of go back to the turmoil of where they come from.

I also find it interesting that the race, but not the sex, of these nannies bothers you. One could just as easily complain than Nannies (and childcare in general) are virtually always female, whatever the race, and this is "keeping women in their place" going back far longer than 1810. But you only seem concerned about the racial aspect?

I am a gay man, and I suppose, by your logic, I should be "offended" to see gay hairdressers, since that is a "stereotypical" profession? Should I take offense every time I see a gay hairdresser that he is not "shattering historical trends" by being a linebacker instead? Or should I be happy for someone who's doing something he's good at and making a good living (many of them making quite a better living than I)?

The race is of concern to me because I do belong to this race, and the economic state that the Black community is in cannot be solved by people being nannies. As I said before, many of these nannies still reside in poverty stricken neighborhoods, sending their kids to underperforming school. Look around, are the people living in safe neighborhoods, sending their children to good schools working as maids, nannies, bus boys, and doormen? They are doctors, lawyers, accountants, entrepreneurs... This is a call for Black people to wake up. Its encouraging them to do better. People complain when we make excuses, and say nothing about our condition. Im saying something. The cost of living in NYC is crazy, and I doubt any nanny is living a comfortable middle class life.

The gender stereo type will naturally be shattered as they work non domestic positions. I also targeted the women because a whopping percentage of black households are run by women. They must do better.

As for gay stereotypes, I have no knowlege of historically gay professions. The gay people I know are teachers, accountants, entrepreneurs, etc... I can see how you would make the link to the "gay hairdresser", but I doubt gay hair stylist are stylist because of the lack of education, or resources.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
I have no concern with how much these nannies are getting paid. All that matters to me is the historical significance. In this country, do White women have legacy of being mammies and maids? Was it something they had no choice but to do for a long time? I too work with children, and probably make way less than you. Money is a strong force, but it wont have me go against my principles. I was thoroughly taught my history, no shortcuts, and not only during February.

Although I may sound like Im being terribly judgemental, I do not have anything against these women. I just dont respect their jobs.
Yes, white women do have a legacy of being nannies and maids. Prior to the 20th century, most domestic servants, including nannies, in NYC were Irish immigrants or of Irish descent. When African-Americans startedt to migrate to the north, they gradually started to take the jobs of domestic workers, doormen, elevator operators, bell hops, etc.

Like their Irish predecessors, the Hispanic and West Indian people who take on the paid role of caretaker either as a nanny or home health care aide come from countries with limited educational opportunities, such as Haiti. Just like their Irish predecessors they had to leave their own immediate families behind in their native country and they still send money to their family in "the old country." Give these people a few generations in this country and more will attend institutions of higher education and leave domestic careers behind.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
I thought long and hard about how I wanted to approach this topic because it affects quite a few people in one way or another. Some of you may be employers to these nannies. Others may have family member who are nannies, and quite of few of you may have grown up in the care of a nanny. With that said, this is not a personal attack on anyone. This is simply my opinion based on history.
In NYC, it’s impossible to not to see it… first you notice the stylish expensive stroller, then the rosy cheeked child, and then often you look up to find the women pushing that strolling is not the mother. The woman is clearly Black and the child clearly isn’t, and some people might not see this as problem, but I do.

I’m bombarded by this image on a daily basis and it’s a just too reminiscent of the past for me. The questions that go through my mind are:
Does this woman not know what she looks like?
Does she care?
Does she even know her history?
Does she care?

I’m not so absorbed in my own feelings to disregard the fact that being a nanny is a job, and sometimes a well paying job to someone who may not be able to obtain other employment opportunities. However, I still view it as a position of servitude, and nannies no matter how much they’re “like family” they are still The help.

At one point in time Black women had to resort to these types of domestic positions because they had NO Choice. There were few opportunities for Black women back then, but now there is no excuse for anyone to resort to this now. I’m not only seeing older women nannying, there are college age women who could be in school, building a real career!

In further investigating this issue, I have noticed that a majority of these Black women are Caribbean and so this led me believe that perhaps it isn’t so reminiscent for them. Maybe the legacy of Aunt Sarah and Mammy wasn’t on the islands. At any rate, if you’re in the United States and are recognizably of African descent then you are assumed to be African American until you say otherwise.

I don’t like the idea of Black women taking on roles that our ancestors were forced to, and jobs that our grandparents gave up 40 years ago. Black women have been the Mammy’s, wet nurses, cooks, maids and plenty more since landing on this continent (and the Caribbean). They are setting us back several decades and I refuse to have domestic servant added to their list of “Things Black People are Good for”, along with playing sports, and entertainment.

I know that nothing I say can change it, but hey I’m just saying….

Thats a note I wrote resulting from the frustration of seeing so many of my sisters looking like, modern day mammies. I obviously know that these women are getting paid, but I cant help but to view them in positions of servitude. It just reminds me way too much of the past. They spend their entire day away from their own family, cooking, cleaning, and raising some wealthy (usually) White family kids. For the record, I have no issue with the families employing these nannies. They need childcare/housekeeping are are wealthy enough to pay for it, end of story. To be even more clear, I have no problem with people of African descent working for White people. I have a problem with nature of the work. How long will Black women be regarded as "the help"? When will my sisters stop being domestic servents?

Comments, thoughts, questions? Dont go too hard on me.

Does it get heavy? That big chip on your shoulder...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City