Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I apprecitate everyones responses, I wrote specifically to get other pov's. Unlike like many posters, I did not come here to be negative. I came to hear what others think, and its helped how I look at the situation. I have not fully given up my pov, but youre thoughts and comments have mad a difference. Thanks.
Wow, dreamgirl, by saying that, you have blown me away.

Come on, everyone, how often does it happen on a forum (with very strong opinions) that someone will say they are reconsidering their opinion and thoughts and comments have made a difference! Pretty rare, isn't it?

Dreamgirl, I give you a whole lot of credit and respect for a response like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post

Come on, everyone, how often does it happen on a forum (with very strong opinions) that someone will say they are reconsidering their opinion and thoughts and comments have made a difference! Pretty rare, isn't it?

Dreamgirl, I give you a whole lot of credit and respect for a response like that.
I join you in congratulating dreamgirl for being open to reconsidering her viewpoint

Old 09-12-2010, 02:28 PM

188 posts, read 406,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post

Well I suppose Ive been able to take into consideration what everyone has said, because I was open to it in the first place. I didnt write that post expecting everyone to agree, infact i knew most who responded wouldnt agree. At the end of the day, I just everyone to progress. So if this professsion is what people choose to get the job done, then I must respect it. I came into this discussion not respecting "Nannying", but I would be a fool, if I still only saw things from my perspective after having people explain in detail why they thought differently.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
Doesn't contribute much to the topic but every time I see a black nanny pushing a white kid in a stroller I think of this:

Moderator cut: Copyright issue: Song lyrics are copyright protected. PortRichmonder quoted the following song: - Nas, "Reason"

I agree the image can be a little odd, but a job is a job. Especially in cases like those stipulated in the above lyric

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-12-2010 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Copyright issue

Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
Quote:
Perhaps you are right, I have encountered hundreds of nannies, all of whom were Carribean. Maybe African Americans, and Carribean Americans feel differently about this matter. Ive never met and African American nanny.
Neither have I. I'm first generation American, both parents came from the islands as teens. They went onto to college and have careers, but others in our family do nanny work. It is mostly the older ones who have family 'back home' and they send most of their earnings there to help whoever needs it.

They can't demand as much as the au pair types because they are here on a visa and the parents/employees know that. When you were told that someone wanted to work for a nice family, it meant more that they did not want to be used and abused. I have stories from other family members that would make you shake your head about how they are treated.

These women wouldn't dream of going on welfare- to them it's an embarrassment. They would rather take care of children, clean homes or take care of elders (another very popular choice) than go on the dole. I have heard this echoed from many others who have family roots in the islands.

The ones I know stress education to their children. I have never heard of one mother encouraging her daughter to do the same thing. Many want their children to have a better life, to be able to take care of their own kids.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,475 times
I find this posting very interesting. As an African American woman, married to a Caribbean man, my husband's family are in the caretaking profession. A few of his aunts, cousins, and one of his sisters are nannies. All in which are not only in New York, but in Canada & England as well. I too ask myself why they do that. You see, a lot of American (African American) woman have that ego/pride about them that prevents them from doing domestic work. Some just feel they are too good for it. They don’t have the patience and the care to care for others. Unlike the Caribbean culture, this is there line of work. They are not only nannies, but nurses, as well as home health aides. Like one of the nannies you may encountered, there are good families and there are bad families. I have heard so many stories of horrible children, but yet they only respected the nanny. I have seen the apartments and cars that was purchased for some nannies in return for taking care of their children. My husband's aunt who is retired, gets a limo to pick her up to take her to the airport every summer. First class flights to go stay in the summer home of one of the children who she took care of, which is now a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. This is not only a job for them, but it’s something that they enjoy. If they do no not enjoy, they will find another family. There is no reason to feel sorry for them for they are happy doing what they do and is darn good at it. I had a nanny for my son who was Hispanic. I love her like my own grandma. She even took care of my husband when he was sick. This is what she loves to do. To care for children. She was a factory worker for over 40 years and she tells me, she has never been happier working with children. Some of these nannies are better mothers & fathers to these children, than their own parents. It’s sad, but sometimes the nannies are all these children know.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,776 times
The OP's argument sounds sounds similar to the after effect of the women's liberation movement. For so long the only job women could do was "homemaker", teacher or secretary. Then came the liberation movement arguing for women to be able to choose what career they can go into. Then an odd thing happen many of the career women started looking "down" upon those women who still chose the stereotypical roles as "homemakers", teachers or secretaries. All of this is rather confusing because wasn't the whole point to be about the freedom to choose?

Are you offended by black men/women who work on farms? Construction? Any kind of manual labor?

As others have pointed out you are missing the concept of CHOICE and PAY. End of story. I think you may just be looking for things to be offended by at this point.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I find this posting very interesting. As an African American woman, married to a Caribbean man, my husband's family are in the caretaking profession. A few of his aunts, cousins, and one of his sisters are nannies. All in which are not only in New York, but in Canada & England as well. I too ask myself why they do that. You see, a lot of American (African American) woman have that ego/pride about them that prevents them from doing domestic work. Some just feel they are too good for it. They don’t have the patience and the care to care for others. Unlike the Caribbean culture, this is there line of work. They are not only nannies, but nurses, as well as home health aides. Like one of the nannies you may encountered, there are good families and there are bad families. I have heard so many stories of horrible children, but yet they only respected the nanny. I have seen the apartments and cars that was purchased for some nannies in return for taking care of their children. My husband's aunt who is retired, gets a limo to pick her up to take her to the airport every summer. First class flights to go stay in the summer home of one of the children who she took care of, which is now a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. This is not only a job for them, but it’s something that they enjoy. If they do no not enjoy, they will find another family. There is no reason to feel sorry for them for they are happy doing what they do and is darn good at it. I had a nanny for my son who was Hispanic. I love her like my own grandma. She even took care of my husband when he was sick. This is what she loves to do. To care for children. She was a factory worker for over 40 years and she tells me, she has never been happier working with children. Some of these nannies are better mothers & fathers to these children, than their own parents. It’s sad, but sometimes the nannies are all these children know.
Everything stated here was also true for Black American women in the past. Most of the Black American women that this posting would describe are old and retired now or passed on.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times
Good thread thanks OP. I agree with Glitterific that most of the West Indian woman being hired are usually 'not straight' (official U.S. citizen status) and its a preferable option as far as getting a decent salary off the books. I know of a lady from Trinidad that used to take care of a elderly white lady and used to make $750 a week tax free as a live in, no bills to pay plus extra to purchase food and this was back in the early 80's. Not bad at all

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
I apprecitate everyones responses, I wrote specifically to get other pov's. Unlike like many posters, I did not come here to be negative. I came to hear what others think, and its helped how I look at the situation. I have not fully given up my pov, but youre thoughts and comments have mad a difference. Thanks.
Dreamgirl84, I wish I could triple rep you! It's obvious that you are an open minded, intelligent, and very sincere young lady. You can actually consider other's POV's and that is an outstanding quality. Many, will argue to the death to get their point across and never learn a thing.

Refreshing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City