Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 AM

6 posts, read 28,954 times

Advertisements

My company has surveyed garage operators about tipping, since it's a general custom in NYC, and our customers regularly ask about tipping. Here's what we learned:
1) Garage valets make about $20,000 annually and they rely on and expect tips for good service, like having your car ready when you call (1 hour ahead is recommended) and not damaging your car. It's the same as a restaurant where the waiters don't set the prices for the food. They just deliver it.
2) Many garages pool their tips so the valets working during the pick up hours don't get all the tips. Just ask your guys how they manage tips, or look for a 'Tips' box.
3) The valets suggested you tip when you drop off your car rather than when you pick it up.
4) Holiday tipping can range from $25 - $150 for a monthly parker, depending on the service you've gotten and if you've been tipping all year long. You can give to each valet directly or give one envelope for the manage to distribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 AM

6 posts, read 28,954 times
And if you have any damage to your car, you need to tell the Manager right away. That way he'll know you're on top of things.

The valets park the cars so closely because they have to, generally. Ever wonder why so many of them are so skinny and why your windows are open most of the time? It's so the valets can park the cars close and then climb out the windows.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM

112 posts, read 436,758 times
I didn't want to start a whole new thread so...

We have a parking spot in midtown. Near the end of each month, my husband drops off the monthly payment along with cash of about $30 - $40 for tips. Same situation as OP, 4 - 5 guys always getting the cars. They have told us to call 15 minutes in advance of when the car is needed. When my husband goes to work Mon - Wed early mornings, he calls and the car is usually there for him.

However whenever I have called to retrieve the car on Thurs, Fri or the weekend, I am at 50-50 for if the car will be there. Many times I call 15 - 30 minutes ahead of time, and then when I actually show up at the garage, they then go to retrieve the car. It really bothered me on Sunday when my husband called and we arrived at the garage to find no car. We had to wait 10 minutes because "sorry we forgot." We REALLY had to leave for the airport ASAP but I had no recourse except to stand there.

What is the point of tipping and calling them when service is so crappy? And now I have to tip them extra because of the holidays???

Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM
grant516

n/a posts
on that effect why the HECK do we tip taxi drivers?

Is that just an old custom that made sense at a time but now is irrelevant?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,285 times
i live in a coop. the management charges me for the spot next thier spot. I pay for a spot and a half. so they charge me an extra 75% more. Always the staffers were in my half spot. Recently we had storms and I managed to fit a second car into the spot and they called me up screaming. Is this legal?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,285 times
Tipping is a practice that has become out of control. It is one thing for a restaurant so they can keep food prices down for the people but it is another thing when a parking garage charged tremendous fees and underpays the people that work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City