Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I believe there is still a memorial held every year at Pearl Harbor. Next year will be the 70th anniversary. I also think they commemorate those lost in the 1995 bombing in Oklahoma City. I see nothing wrong with continuing to mourn the passing of these innocent people in the years to come.
Come to think of it, we were still holding an annual service for the people who died on 2/26/1993 at the memorial for them that was on the WTC Plaza.

The 1993 victim's names are incorporated into the new memorial at the WTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Come to think of it, we were still holding an annual service for the people who died on 2/26/1993 at the memorial for them that was on the WTC Plaza.

The 1993 victim's names are incorporated into the new memorial at the WTC.
My Dad worked with 4 of them, and we nearly lost him as well. Thank you for remembering them.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM

9 posts, read 12,120 times
I'm not a New Yorker. I' a Yorker though from York,Pa. I will never forget Sept 11. I can recall everything I was doing that day. I serve as a Vol firefighter. We got alerted about the attacks and was place on stand by for attacks against the Three Mile Island power plant. I remember the night of Sept 11 they announce on the news that they need Vol emergency personal and to call this 800 number and I did. I got a call the next morning and sept 13 I was at ground zero helping. I have a friend who was a FDNY firefighter who passed in the attacks. I felt it was my duty to help. my dept later held a boot drive to raise money for the families and the FDNY and plan to do another boot drive this coming spring and summer to help the children of 911.

I been to NYC several times after. Ground zero is the first place I visit and the last place i visit before i head back to Pa. This year was the first I been able to make it to hear the memorial service and to see the tribute in lights. and I must say that is a beautiful way to remember those.

As for the one post about not holding the memorial each year. I think that we should continue to hold that. We need to remember that day and most important we need to remember the thousands who life was taken. To not hold a service that day I think would be the worst thing ever. I had a chance to talk to a family member who lost someone in the attacks. no remains was found yet. And their words was that each year they attend the services it is like the get a chance to be with the one who parished and that they feel as if that person is apart of them that day more then any other day.
To me it was an honor to be there and be apart of it.

on a side not I will say that New Yorkers are very nice folks. every trip I make I always have a good time and meet many friendly nice people thanks again and God bless you all

Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,081 times
For the first time I went downtown to the reading of the names. I didn't get there right away, but was there for the final two hours. I had never been able to attend due to work commitments but since it was a Saturday, I felt like it was something I should attend even though I didn't personally know any of the victims in the buildings and planes.

I walked through a lot of people from both sides of the mosque debate. I don't really have a view one way or the other towards it and am all for the freedom of protest, but personally I felt having protests on Sept. 11 was disrespectful to the families.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 AM

301 posts, read 639,983 times
May God bless the lives lost on 9/11. American blood was shed that day, for the first time on American soil. God may forgive all his children, but I cannot forgive those responsible for the loss of my fellow Americans for the damage to my beautiful city.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
This needs it's own thread, everyone should know what you saw in the market and on the street. Most have their head in a bag...
I am sorry for the horror you saw.
Some people have their heads in a bag, like that expression. You are so right and it's a shame.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
For the first time I went downtown to the reading of the names. I didn't get there right away, but was there for the final two hours. I had never been able to attend due to work commitments but since it was a Saturday, I felt like it was something I should attend even though I didn't personally know any of the victims in the buildings and planes.

I walked through a lot of people from both sides of the mosque debate. I don't really have a view one way or the other towards it and am all for the freedom of protest, but personally I felt having protests on Sept. 11 was disrespectful to the families.

Not to me I see as defending the honor of the families of the victims of 9/11 not being disrespectful. The families weren't protested against the mosque in that area was protested against.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM

40 posts, read 214,047 times
Never forget.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Not to me I see as defending the honor of the families of the victims of 9/11 not being disrespectful. The families weren't protested against the mosque in that area was protested against.
Some families, one group in particular, supports the mosque, but I think most agreed that using that day to protest anything is disrespectful to the memory of those lost.

Ironically, all the protesting, whether for or against the mosque, seems this year tp have drowned out the 9/11 conspiracy kids who show up every year and protest at the anniversary. Talk about disrespect--I actually once witnessed them screaming at an elderly woman who was a family member (the family members wear large badges with a picture of their dead person) chanting that she was a "shill for Cheney" because she called them idiots and told them to go away. In more recent years it seems the police have kept them a block or so further away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City