Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,175 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to the antiques district/artist section of Port Morris with somebody who already lives there - I haven't been in the neighborhood too often, but i feel relatively safe. I worry about the walk to the train (on Alexander, passing the Mitchel projects), and just about how isolated the immediate area is - for reasons that other people have pointed out in the posts - you can tell i'm one of the "yuppies" that's not from the area, and being a female also might make me an easier target. Those posts I saw were old though, so I wanted to get some updated information on how people (who live there) feel about the area. I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castroem View Post
I might be moving to the antiques district/artist section of Port Morris with somebody who already lives there - I haven't been in the neighborhood too often, but i feel relatively safe. I worry about the walk to the train (on Alexander, passing the Mitchel projects), and just about how isolated the immediate area is - for reasons that other people have pointed out in the posts - you can tell i'm one of the "yuppies" that's not from the area, and being a female also might make me an easier target. Those posts I saw were old though, so I wanted to get some updated information on how people (who live there) feel about the area. I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!
You don't want to live there. Port Morris is a very small neighborhood, isolated from the rest of the South Bronx by a highway (Deegan) A few yuppies do live on the western side of Port Morris. The Clocktower lofts, along with a few of the nearby warehouses. The so called "gentrified" area is about 2 city blocks. The only reason this has occured is Port Morris lost pretty much all it's population years ago. 2 years ago the neighborhood was 2/3rds vacant. Today probably 1/3rd. It's more industrial then residential and this has helped with the "gentrification".

The problem is, it's not a desireable area to live. I can see if you are desperate for cheap live/work space, however most should not even consider it. It's isolated, run down, vacant, polluted, poor and has crime problems. There is really nothing in the area. No supermarkets, schools. The nearest schools and supermakets are in Mott Haven. The schools are terrible, the supermarkets are VERY limited.

Crime is a big issue. The Mott Haven area to the north is terrible. There are huge NYCHA public housing projects along the Deegan. There is no way around them to get to the 6 train. Robberies, felony assualts, rapes, and drug crime are all huge problems in the area. There is so much public housing in Mott Haven it effects the whole neighborhood. The grand total for major NYCHA developments in Mott Haven alone is 6. That is 6 HUGE low income public housing projects within a square mile. That doesn't even include the smaller developments. Another problem is so many buildings burned out in the 70's pretty much every single tenement in Mott Haven is low income only. That means this area will stay the same for years to come. Mott Haven is known as one of the poorest urban neighborhoods in the country.

In recent years the local population has began to discover the yuppies hiding in Port Morris. The kids are attacking them, easy targets. To give you an idea of what kind of crime goes on in that neighborhood, there was a triple shooting/homicide last night on the Bronx side of the Willis Avenue bridge. Typical ghetto stare match gone bad. There are two homeless shelters in Port Morris (more in Mott Haven, but since we are only talking about Port Morris). One for females, another across the street for males and males with mental issues. This is further east on Willow Ave. Robberies are also common. Especially near the train stations and housing projects (which are everywhere).

As for the walk to the train... Being a female you will get hissed at by the drug dealers in front of the projects. You will have crackheads and bums harrasing you for change. There are a lot of crimes on Alexander and E 138th Street. Don't let the precinct fool you. A few weeks ago someone was shot broad daylight across the street from the precinct. In front of Saint Jerome's Church. Shootouts on the street all the time. People are always getting robbed and jumped across from it. Mitchell Houses has some rep due to the fact they are so wild but so close to the precinct. People in the Bronx know that place is no joke. You would think the proximity to the police would have an effect, but it does nothing. At one point it was even worse.

There are MUCH better areas to live in NYC. If you want industrial try Williamsburg/Greenpoint (NOT EAST WILLIAMSBURG). I heard prices are falling in that area. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-29-2007 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
You don't want to live there. Port Morris is a very small neighborhood, isolated from the rest of the South Bronx by a highway (Deegan) A few yuppies do live on the western side of Port Morris. The Clocktower lofts, along with a few of the nearby warehouses. The so called "gentrified" area is about 2 city blocks. The only reason this has occured is Port Morris lost pretty much all it's population years ago. 2 years ago the neighborhood was 2/3rds vacant. Today probably 1/3rd. It's more industrial then residential and this has helped with the "gentrification".

The problem is, it's not a desireable area to live. I can see if you are desperate for cheap live/work space, however most should not even consider it. It's isolated, run down, vacant, polluted, poor and has crime problems. There is really nothing in the area. No supermarkets, schools. The nearest schools and supermakets are in Mott Haven. The schools are terrible, the supermarkets are VERY limited.

Crime is a big issue. The Mott Haven area to the north is terrible. There are huge NYCHA public housing projects along the Deegan. There is no way around them to get to the 6 train. Robberies, felony assualts, rapes, and drug crime are all huge problems in the area. There is so much public housing in Mott Haven it effects the whole neighborhood. The grand total for major NYCHA developments in Mott Haven alone is 6. That is 6 HUGE low income public housing projects within a square mile. That doesn't even include the smaller developments. Another problem is so many buildings burned out in the 70's pretty much every single tenement in Mott Haven is low income only. That means this area will stay the same for years to come. Mott Haven is known as one of the poorest urban neighborhoods in the country.

In recent years the local population has began to discover the yuppies hiding in Port Morris. The kids are attacking them, easy targets. To give you an idea of what kind of crime goes on in that neighborhood, there was a triple shooting/homicide last night on the Bronx side of the Willis Avenue bridge. Typical ghetto stare match gone bad. There are two homeless shelters in Port Morris (more in Mott Haven, but since we are only talking about Port Morris). One for females, another across the street for males and males with mental issues. This is further east on Willow Ave. Robberies are also common. Especially near the train stations and housing projects (which are everywhere).

As for the walk to the train... Being a female you will get hissed at by the drug dealers in front of the projects. You will have crackheads and bums harrasing you for change. There are a lot of crimes on Alexander and E 138th Street. Don't let the precinct fool you. A few weeks ago someone was shot broad daylight across the street from the precinct. In front of Saint Jeromes Church. Shootouts on the street all the time. People are always getting robbed and jumped across from it. Mitchell Houses has some rep due to the fact they are so wild but so close to the precinct. People in the Bronx know that place is no joke.

There are much better areas to live in NYC. If you want industrial try Williamsburg/Greenpoint (NOT EAST WILLIAMSBURG). I heard prices are falling in that area.
that was a bad area 40 years ago, and it hasn't gotten any better like some other places in the bronx

Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 9,511 times
Default Port Morris

Quote:

Thanks!
I think the respond hustla718 gave is very shortsided. Just remember Williamsburg in late 1980's and early 1990's was considered ghetto. Look at the transformation from 1995-present.....you can only touch in outer part. How about Dumbo? Same thing. Granted these two areas are a bit more appealing because logistic and proximity to the city, but the change will come to port morris as this is a perfect isolation and no affordable housing complex will appear in that area of town other than what is across the major deegan. Sure there are concerns right now because of the isolation and to some extent the isolation, but give it another 5-7 years.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I haven't been around there too much but what you are describing sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
My only question is, why move there?

There are lots of affordable areas of the city where you won't have to deal with ghetto crazyness. Why Port Morris? The rent can't be that much cheaper than anywhere else in the city.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
I could be wrong, but usually when a group of artists/"urban pioneers" begin to move in, gentrification will follow--but it may take awhile. At this point moving there is going to be tougher, albeit cheaper, so the tradeoffs are quality of life issues vs. cheaper rent, more space, and closer proximity to Manhattan as well as the waterfront (I assume), which I believe is starting to get built up at least in some areas. And if you've got a mini community of artists/friends already there, that's a plus for you.

Personally, I would advise respecting the area and its residents as much as possible. Be friendly and courteous and at least some will respond positively--esp. shop/business owners if my experience is any indication (but I'm in the northwest Bx).

But Husta's knowlege is also valid. Depends on how much "discomfort" you're willing or able to endure, and how much risk you're prepared to take due to high crime areas. You may experience some harassment, but if it doesn't go beyond someone muttering "whitey" or "Yuppie" then it's just a matter of having a thick skin. But assaults, etc are another story. I've been fine thus far, but everyone will have a different experience.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
The problem with that area is not so much the "ghetto crazyness," it's the fact that it is somewhat isolated and desolate, plus its near an industrial area. Places like that give me the spooks.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,726,679 times
If you want to move to the Yuppies side, I guess things will work out for you. I can only assume that the Yuppies, if they keep coming, could take over all of Port Morris, but don't risk it, just stay on the Yups side.

Edit: anyone notice this thread is three months old?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:06 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The problem with that area is not so much the "ghetto crazyness," it's the fact that it is somewhat isolated and desolate, plus its near an industrial area. Places like that give me the spooks.

That's the typical scenario for artists moving in. Dumbo, Soho, Tribeca, Williamsburg, LIC, etc. --all kinda initially desolate but in or close to Manhattan, industrial (for loftspace) and often on the waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City