Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM

7,878 posts, read 7,781,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
They opened because they received enormous tax incentives to do so.
Moreover, Costco (I think ?) has closed. And do not forget the violence that has happened in the complex itself.
Costco is not on the verge of shutting down. In fact, they're doing quite well. You've been misinformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,891,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Costco is not on the verge of shutting down. In fact, they're doing quite well. You've been misinformed.
It was Best Buy - someone else said.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
things still happen over there. there was a police tower exactly where you're located. now they've got one on 125th btwn morningside & amsterdam, at grant projects, which "supposedly" isn't one of the worst projects in harlem. go figure!
Oh, I assure you, it is one of the worst projects. Along with the Manhattanville Houses and the St. Nicholas Houses. Or maybe they are all just bad, equally ?

I also now hear the helicopter flying overhead AGAIN, which means another shooting at the St. Nicholas Houses or environs.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Oh, I assure you, it is one of the worst projects. Along with the Manhattanville Houses and the St. Nicholas Houses. Or maybe they are all just bad, equally ?

I also now hear the helicopter flying overhead AGAIN, which means another shooting at the St. Nicholas Houses or environs.
grant, st nich, manattanville, all are bad. PD put the entire block of 129th on lockdown because of fear of retaliation from a shooting at st nich. they are still there 'til this day. i do like the new residential building on 8th ave on 127th i believe it is. magnificent job they're doing. the new "restaurant row" from 110th to roughly about 125th, this is the kind of thing harlem should see. i'm a liberal to the fullest, but they have to give serious consideration to demolition of NYCHA developments. they're nothing but the worst, and the city continuously runs a tremendous budget deficit. it's staggering harlem's growth potential of being one of the best neighborhoods of the city.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,806,771 times
Quote:
grant, st nich, manattanville, all are bad. PD put the entire block of 129th on lockdown because of fear of retaliation from a shooting at st nich. they are still there 'til this day. i do like the new residential building on 8th ave on 127th i believe it is. magnificent job they're doing. the new "restaurant row" from 110th to roughly about 125th, this is the kind of thing harlem should see. i'm a liberal to the fullest, but they have to give serious consideration to demolition of NYCHA developments. they're nothing but the worst, and the city continuously runs a tremendous budget deficit. it's staggering harlem's growth potential of being one of the best neighborhoods of the city.
i know what area you're talking about. its unfortunate that 127th condo is right across from the projects. that area of harlem has really improved, up until city college.

what are the chances of demolishing those projects? one can pray

Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The chances of demolishing the projects are virtually nil.

Keep in mind that the social service housing is as big a problem. Every other building is sub-section 8, or "ex-con rehab," or something. The family buildings are actually the worst because the adolescents are simply awful.

The "rehab" idea is ridiculous. To rehabilitate someone who has been in prison, they drop him into a ghetto area where he immediately joins the crowd on the corner. Who comes up with these plans ? One wonders.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
i know what area you're talking about. its unfortunate that 127th condo is right across from the projects. that area of harlem has really improved, up until city college.
In fact, the area below City College is not good, and growing worse every day.
It will likely improve given the Columbia project, who knows when.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,892,101 times
Not the best street in the area, but not bad East of SECOND.
More home improvement is going on on 117th. Between Second and the river it is actually getting NICE on 117th, not a term usually applied to East Harlem.
This is probably in anticipation of the expected revitalization from the Second Avenue Subway.

I have never felt threatened in a Hispanic area to the extent I have in a primarily black area. On the other hand I would know a CRIP from a DRIP.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not the best street in the area, but not bad East of SECOND.
More home improvement is going on on 117th. Between Second and the river it is actually getting NICE on 117th, not a term usually applied to East Harlem.
This is probably in anticipation of the expected revitalization from the Second Avenue Subway.

I have never felt threatened in a Hispanic area to the extent I have in a primarily black area. On the other hand I would know a CRIP from a DRIP.
this is very true. several new buildings, and renovations have taken place on that block of 117th. i myself am pleased. new wine shop on 116th, and pleasant ave. i like the traffic east river plaza has brung.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,806 times
Thumbs down no way

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogettergirl View Post
I'm female and in my early 20s, and I'm relocating to NYC from Mississippi. I'm going up there this weekend to look at a few apartments. There's a flat on 116th Street that is really cheap, but is that area safe? I'm a young woman moving to a big city for the first time alone, so naturally I have reasons to be concerned.
116ST no way are you spanish then ok its a hell hole I would not move there sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City