U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,255,616 times

Advertisements

Seems like such a beautiful park--like Central Park in the Bronx (same developer, no?) --but wondering how safe it is. I assume the northern portion might be safer, but does anyone go there regularly who could provide some input?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,272,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Seems like such a beautiful park--like Central Park in the Bronx (same developer, no?) --but wondering how safe it is. I assume the northern portion might be safer, but does anyone go there regularly who could provide some input?
It's not that bad. Things happen but it's one of the better parks in the Bronx.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:27 AM

658 posts, read 2,271,150 times
i would say its better than central park
vancortland is not only gorgeous but safe i live a block away from it and have been going there since i was 5 and i never once remember hearing anything really bad happen there was this one story a little bit ago about how there was a car parked in the spaces where the lake is and they found the bodys of a man woman and child or something
but its still really safe its one of the things i'll miss when i move from nyc
theres definitly no need to get scared off
they also have alot of events there i think they still do the easter egg hunt and races,and fourth of july concert with fireworks at the end
i went last year with my daughter friend and some kids from her building for some halloween things they had
theres also a golf course alot of the guys that play golf there go to the boat house for a snack
theres a lake with ducks ,geese,u might even see a swan or 2
theres alot of sports being played there,hiking trails,lots of grass and trees to have a picnic
also if you go farther up towards yonkers going the 242nd street way where the 1 train is they have ponys/horses that you and if you have kids can ride on
i would reccomend staying away from the pool the crowds can get pretty rough unless your in one of the swimming classes erly in the morning
anything else you would like to know about the park or the area feel free to ask me

Old 06-30-2007, 06:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,487,612 times
Yeah I live within a 5 minute walk of the park and it seems pretty nice and well kept. I honestly don't go to the park much at all though (I think I need to do more exercise), but the area near Van Cortland Park, at least in my neck of the woods, is pretty nice.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,255,616 times
Thanks all--I just read these replies today and they're very reassuring/informative. Was also pleasantly surprised by Hustla's response, considering his views on a lot of the Bronx! Much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:17 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,366,434 times
Default I've been going there for 30 years

And never felt even remotely threatened. I think the worst danger might be that of getting hit with some kids ball; last time I went up there, I had at least 3 roll across my feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City