Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 AM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
From my understanding 50 Cent was just a regular drug dealer just like the ones down the block from my apartment here in the Wall St. area. Also, that incident that happened outside the club was tragic, again that says what about the neighborhood?
This is a joke, right? You are NOT really moving to South Jamaica, are you? I don't care what kind of drug dealers you claim are living in Battery Park City or wherever around Wall St. you live, but I GUARANTEE YOU that they are not hanging out on Rector St selling drugs; I GUARANTEE you that there are no dice games and shootings or stabbings near the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Whadda ya friggin kidding me? South Jamaica is NO JOKE! A white kid from TN has no prayer there. Do yourself a favor and wear dog tags so the ER can get you the right blood-type and the cops can ID your body.

White guy moving to Jamaica You're killing me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
This is a joke, right? You are NOT really moving to South Jamaica, are you? I don't care what kind of drug dealers you claim are living in Battery Park City or wherever around Wall St. you live, but I GUARANTEE YOU that they are not hanging out on Rector St selling drugs; I GUARANTEE you that there are no dice games and shootings or stabbings near the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Whadda ya friggin kidding me? South Jamaica is NO JOKE! A white kid from TN has no prayer there. Do yourself a favor and wear dog tags so the ER can get you the right blood-type and the cops can ID your body.

White guy moving to Jamaica You're killing me
I said the same thing about whites moving on Myrtle Avenue between Tompkins and Marcy projects in Brooklyn. They seem to be doing pretty well. And the nearby G Train now has more whites riding it than I've ever seen before!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 AM

319 posts, read 493,650 times
My brother moved to Jamaica last year and moved out just a month ago to Bay Ridge.
This isn't a great neighborhood. Especially for someone from outside of the city.
He moved to what was considered an "Upscale area" called Jamaica Estates, around Hillside ave./180th, and only once did I seen a white guy walking that street. Everyone living there is some shade of dark. Be it Hispanic, Middle-eastern, or straight up African.

If you're thinking about 145th.. forget it. At the very least try Jamaica avenue, with all the stores and people.

The safest I've ever felt in that neighborhood was when I passed by a group of black Church-goers. lol.

Last edited by EugeneBKLYN; 06-30-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
I live in Manhattan now, moved from TN two years ago. I drive a Hyundai Tiburon. The apartment is a basement 1 bedroom for 750 which includes all utilities. That rent price is what is drawing me to Jamaica. I'm a student and can't afford much more than that.
you're being penny wise and pound foolish, there is no nice way to put it, the area sucks

Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Don't you think you'd be alot better off getting a share in a nice neighborhood? There are plenty of shares out there for $750. I don't know the neighborhood of South Jamaica but I have the same impression of it that everyone who *does* know the hood is presenting to you above. I would listen to them and NOT move there. You have other options. Or find a $900 studio in Astoria or Jackson Heights and take one fewer class at school or whatever you can do to earn the extra $150 per month. In fact I would guess that there are even $750 basement studios available at nicer neighborhoods, perhaps Middle Village, flushing, ridgewood.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:51 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
actually i think thats right by the van wyck expwy. if i remember correctly its kinda quiet over there....

i have a good feeling that most people that responded to this have limited knowledge of the neighborhood.

the areas of southside to definitely stay away from are guy brewer, liberty ave, foch blvd and anywhere by 40 projects. oh yeah and definitely not sutphin blvd.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 AM

49 posts, read 288,516 times
I'm Afro-Caribbean and familiar with that area. DO NOT DO IT!! I wouldn't move there much less you. Better to find a room in an apartment somewhere else.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:54 PM

314 posts, read 492,279 times
LISTEN TO SAMYN ON THE GREEN. you owe that man BIG for warning you. if you still choose to move to s.side jamaica, then you deserve what you get. and, don't give me this...it's all i can get nonsense. for $750/month you could get a place in bay ridge, bensonhurst, or a 'nicer' section of the bronx. it won't be the best joint on the block, but at least you'll keep your scalp.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
I will say this.....I would NOT, under any circumstances, rent a basement! Get an apartment, and you will still have rights. You rent a basement from the homeowner, you will not!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Why would you move to an area with so much tension. A known rough neighborhood. This has to be a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City