Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM

11 posts, read 20,556 times

Advertisements

What part of the UES are you going to be in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 8,896 times
On york below 80th.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina83 View Post
Yes I have seen the apartment/neighborhood and it is perfect. A bit of a walk to the subway but I can live with that.

Believe it or not there are deals to be had in NYC.

1700 for a 1 bedroom on york around 80th is not much of a deal unless its a doorman building. u could get the same price for a 1bdrm a lot closer to the train in the upper east side on 3rd or 2nd.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
1700 for a 1 bedroom on york around 80th is not much of a deal unless its a doorman building. u could get the same price for a 1bdrm a lot closer to the train in the upper east side on 3rd or 2nd.
Where would I find these places? I am also looking heavily into the UES and it seems like $1600-1700 will get you a 1 bedroom between 70th and 90th streets along York, or at best 1st Avenue, in a non-doorman building. The only "amenities", if you're lucky- are a laundry room, elevator, and decent sized kitchen. And that's if you look really hard, not that there are abundant places listed at that price.

The places that are $1700 along 3rd or 2nd are above 96th street. Most places along 2nd and 3rd closer to the subway AND below 96th street are well above $1700. I would love to find something closer to the subway for $1700 but not sure that really is a possibility.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Where would I find these places? I am also looking heavily into the UES and it seems like $1600-1700 will get you a 1 bedroom between 70th and 90th streets along York, or at best 1st Avenue, in a non-doorman building. The only "amenities", if you're lucky- are a laundry room, elevator, and decent sized kitchen. And that's if you look really hard, not that there are abundant places listed at that price.

The places that are $1700 along 3rd or 2nd are above 96th street. Most places along 2nd and 3rd closer to the subway AND below 96th street are well above $1700. I would love to find something closer to the subway for $1700 but not sure that really is a possibility.

u gotta just look at craigslist constantly and things will pop up heres an example:

94th & 2nd*HUGE 1 BR*Carnegie Hill*LOW FEE* (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/1955144041.html - broken link)

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
u gotta just look at craigslist constantly and things will pop up heres an example:

94th & 2nd*HUGE 1 BR*Carnegie Hill*LOW FEE* (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/1955144041.html - broken link)
Just saying that's only one place- not very many around there in that price range. And they want a broker fee for this place. Definetely no doorman 1 bedrooms in the area for $1700.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina83 View Post
I am 27 and have lived in Florida my entire life. I have been dreaming of living in NYC for years now and finally, I am getting closer to making it a reality. Only problem is.. I am having a tough time getting a job.

I have visited NYC about 3 different times over the summer and have interviewed with 4 different companies in the retail industry. One company, I have interviewed with SEVEN different people, yes SEVEN, within the time frame of a little over a month. I was very confident about getting this job.. however, my last interview with them was a little over 2 weeks ago and I have not heard a thing yet, so I am losing hope. This job search has been both stressful and discouraging because I feel like I have been getting nowhere.

My career background is retail management and I have about 5 years experience. I am employed at a big-box well-known department store and have been for 8 years. I am not able to transfer for different reasons, which is unfortunate, but I am looking to leave this company since I have been pretty much miserable this past year. I do not have a college degree, and although I have been told by different executives that retail management jobs focus more on experience rather than education, I am beginning to wonder if that is really the case.. especially in this economy. Also, I know that me not living there at the moment is also hurting my chances.

Anyways, the good news is, my childhood best friend has secured an apartment in the UES that I will be sharing with her.. my rent will be about $850/month. I am getting extremely antsy and impatient and I am just SO READY to be there now. I absolutely cannot stand my life here and this kind of change will be extremely welcoming right now. I have about $5000 in savings at the moment and once I sell my furniture I will have a bit more.

I am, by no means a risk-taker. However, I am actually considering moving there without a job only because I am thinking it will be easier for me to find one if I am already there. Am I completely crazy? When I think about doing this, I can't help but get really excited but also really scared at the same time. I figure worst-case scenario is, I can move back to Florida and live with my parents if I run out of funds and can't find a job. This just seems so CRAZY to me and I honestly do not know what to do. I know my family will think I am completely nuts but I honestly do not see anything keeping me here.
I would just go ahead make the move. I am also trying to secure a job before I go and it is very difficult (also in FL right now). Employers tell me they want to be sure I am committed to moving to and staying in NYC before they will consider me, which usually means they want me to move first. Luckily I have had good progress with some of the positions in the past 2 weeks and am confident I will land something soon. But I am looking at mid-level corporate finance positions, so might be different than retail.

We cannot just get up and move because no one would rent us an apartment without verifiable income and also because our expenses would be much greater than just $850 a month. But we have decided that as soon as I get a job we will do it, since we can afford to live off my salary alone- plus we have a nice chunk of savings in the bank.

If you only have $5,000 just try to find a job ASAP- doing whatever you can get, even if it's part-time, to have some income flowing your way until you get what you are looking for. Or maybe stay in FL another month or 2 to save some more, depends on how much you save each month. It takes a lot of patience and can get difficult at times. When I see that it's still 90+ degrees every day where I live and NYC is in the 60s I really want to go...lol.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM

301 posts, read 640,122 times
If you want to live in the city I recommend Queens, perhaps try finding a roommate to split costs with. If not in the city then try Jersey City which is a much cheaper option. Good luck and hope you make it to this great city.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what you're getting yourself into. My only specific advice is not to be that picky about what kind of job you end up getting. If someone offers you a job that pays enough to match income to expenses it's good enough to start with, even if it's significantly less money than you're used to (or in your opinion, the job itself kind of sucks). I would guess almost nobody moves here on a lark and lands their dream job right off the bat, but you can always find better opportunities and more money down the road. You just have to hang around long enough for that to happen.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
FYI, the unemployment rate in NYC for someone without a college degree is close to 20%, about double the official NYC rate. That is A TON of competition you are facing.

Have you considered going back to college? Whether it's "necessary" or not for the industry/position, it would definitely give you an edge vs your competition. (And I am a retail executive giving you this advice).

Yes, it may be easier to get a job if you are living in NYC already. But what happens if you get here and don't find a job within 3-3.5 months. You'll be completely flat-out broke and without the perfectly good job (perfectly good meaning youre lucky to be employed & you're making enough money to have saved up $5k) in Florida. I wouldn't do it until I had 6-12 months living expenses saved up. Remember, it will take about 1 month per every $10,000 you expect to earn to find a job (ie, $60k jobs take approx 6 months to find these days). Also, I think 4th Quarter is going to be a lot rougher than people are expecting, so would not expect retail hiring to pick up before late 2011 at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City