Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,730 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am looking to move to Crown Heights (near the Franklin Avenue 2,3,4,5, train station) with my boyfriend but am having no luck finding a place. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of where to look besides Craigslist. Brokers are trying to push $1400 to 1800 one bedrooms on us, even though I know something around $950 to 1200 is more reasonable. When we do see affordable stuff, it's usually in a really crappy building. Any suggestions? I'm a grad student and we can't pay much more than $1200. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,317,676 times
Are you a Hassidic Jew or Afro-Caribbean? If not, why are you moving to Crown Heights?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM

435 posts, read 1,516,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Are you a Hassidic Jew or Afro-Caribbean? If not, why are you moving to Crown Heights?
Becuase it's 2007 and people can move anywhere they damn please.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:49 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,770,740 times
Why would you move to Crown Heights? The Jews have their areas locked down. The Black areas are very poor. There is still a lot of racial tension too. Crown Heights Riots were not that long ago. Most of those people are still in the neighborhood.

Better areas in the city.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:29 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,627,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Why would you move to Crown Heights? The Jews have their areas locked down. The Black areas are very poor. There is still a lot of racial tension too. Crown Heights Riots were not that long ago. Most of those people are still in the neighborhood.

Better areas in the city.
The Crown Height riots were more than fifteen years ago!

Being along Eastern Parkway is fine. Crown Heights isn't perfect, but much better than it was back in the day!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,770,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The Crown Height riots were more than fifteen years ago!

Being along Eastern Parkway is fine. Crown Heights isn't perfect, but much better than it was back in the day!
So you would recommend a young female grad student (and her boyfriend) unfamilar with that kind of environment (probably White, blond, liberal know it all fresh out of school) to live in a neighborhood like Crown Heights? That isn't right. What are they going to do, the quick skip to the train station everyday. Boyfriend anoyed by the *******s on the corner hissing at his girl. Afraid to go to the bodega at night thanks to all the drug activity? What kind of neighborhood is that for a young educated couple? What is there for them to do in Crown Heights?

15 years ago was not a long time either, most of those people are still in the area. The racial tensions will always remain. It wasn't just a one day, one week event.

And Eastern Parkway is crazy around labor day. I would never take my girlfriend to those events. Unless I want her to be disrespected, get me into a fight, and end up another stabbing/shooting victim.

Area has improved some, but remember what it was. It's still not a good neighborhood.

There are better neighborhoods in NYC. You just have to look to get a good deal.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-01-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 06:44 PM

33,153 posts, read 46,627,913 times
you can get to manhattan from, crown heights in 10 minutes tops...the 4 train is real quick.

there are nice pre-war buildings, you should try asking the supers if any apartments are vacant. crown heights has its good and bad areas. around franklin avenue has improved a whole lot in the last 20 years....back in '91-'93, u wouldnt dare walk on franklin avenue in the daytime. now its actually peaceful. except for labor day weekend, when you can pretty much resort to staying in your house it gets really crazy. but otherwise the area around franklin avenue and eastern pkwy is ok. not the best but not the worst either. good luck.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 25,980,588 times
While I don't tend to agree with alot of the racial division stuff that gets written here, I will say that I felt uncomfortable as a while female in LARGE parts of Crown Heights. When I am in a Hasidic area I feel a kind of silent hostility coming from most of the population. In fact, one time I and a black friend went into a hasidic shop for a quick look at the vegetables and the sense I got from the shopkeepers was they were thinking "what do you think you're doing coming into our shop. you don't belong here." They did not say this but we did leave quickly.

I looked at a few places in Crown Heights and considered living on Crown St. near the park. I don't think it would be a bad place necessarily but i didn't love the vibe. No close-by shops (at the time, this was nearly 2 years ago) and the transit cops in the neighborhood told me to stay off the streets between 3 and 5 in the afternoon when the high schools would be letting out because it would be a crazy scene. I also looked at a place that was a bit closer to Empire Ave and sort of near Lefferts Gardens - I think Montgomery St. - and that didn't seem bad either.

But in general if I were you I would make sure that you KNOW you are comfortable in such a neighborhood. I feel like my tolerance level for such things is fairly high yet after walking around (esp. walking towards the east part of crown heights) I would absolutely consider MANY other areas before crown heights. What about Lefferts Gardens or Ditmas Park or Prospct Park South? All should be in the same price range.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:26 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,627,024 times
Eastern Parkway is improving. A lot! One may have to deal with the Parade at Labor Day, but that's only one day outta the year.

I am tired of people here suggesting that neighborhoods of color be avoided. And the use of the N-word (even sensored) makes it worse! This type of rhetoric fuels the mentality of an already segregated city!

And to the Administrator(s): I hereby suggest that racist rhetoric be monitored and the people who continue to speak it be disciplined!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 PM

49 posts, read 287,714 times
Along eastern parkway is fine. To be honest, I feel more comfortable in Bensonhurst than in Crown Heights. I'm Afro-Caribbean and I just can't deal with the tension. If I were to live in Brooklyn it would only be Fort Greene, Clinton Hill or Prospect Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City