Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 PM

218 posts, read 720,913 times

Advertisements

I have always been told that in NYC the tourist are the ones looking up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.o.n.y View Post
im not sure if im late or not. But the recent tourist phenomenon i've noticed is tourist taking pictures of squirrels........squirrels
lol!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
how come nobody has mentioned fanny packs yet? ha! and i dont know.....cowboy hats, straw hats.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 AM

23 posts, read 31,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntech View Post
Sorry if some of this might have been posted before, but just thought it would be fun to start a little thread with recent thoughts on this...

2. Only crossing the street when the little white "walk" sign is lit up. Most tourists don't realize it's okay to cross when the red "stop" hand is lit, just make sure to look for oncoming traffic first; usually easy since most streets are one-way. WARNING: important to point out that some bikers ride the wrong way. So glancing both ways is a must.

Feel free to add a few of your own...
I'm from Indy and I have to say that I'm...overly cautious about crossing the streets in the first place because of people who don't seen to know how to drive, so this is something that I won't only do in New York but ANYWHERE!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM

17 posts, read 26,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im not sure if im late or not. But the recent tourist phenomenon i've noticed is tourist taking pictures of squirrels........squirrels
I totally witnessed this happening in Central Park today!

These 2 young girls were going crazy over a squirrel. They must have taken 20 photos of it. Yet next to this squirrel was an awesome 'army' of small birds together on the grass, which made for a great photo. But it's like they weren't even there. They only cared about the squirrel!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Dressed-up people at a concert at Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall (I don't mean coming from work dressed-up). The greatest "offenders" are the ones wearing tuxedos and sparkly full length evening gowns to see an opera at the Met.

Looking puzzled when asked if they want "sprinkles" on their ice cream.

Total confusion about the express tracks versus the local tracks on the subway.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,102 times
6 people all wearing the same stupid custom tee shirt.
also, those same 6 people walking 6 abreast down the street, super sllllloooooooow.

I am a native new yorker , and I swear by my Streetwise maps when trekking through Chinatown. Sorry, just cant get the layout down there some times.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 AM

316 posts, read 989,672 times
On the plus side, tourists don't:

Ride 'fixed gear' bikes.
Appear to spend way to much time on their 'look'.
Wear the latest trend into the ground.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Here are some less conspicuous clues:

1. More than one Century 21 bag
2. Leans on the pole in the train
3. Wears a jacket made of a synthetic material
4. Blindly follows the crowd crossing the street on a red light and caught off guard when the speeding oncoming taxi is honking for them to get out of the way
5. Turns their head to look down the Avenue when arriving at an intersection when they're not going to walk in that direction
6. Wears any type of soccer jersey
7. Wears streamlined clothes, usually with hiker style sneakers and a backpack from an unusual brand that you can't buy at any US department store
8. Stops in the middle of the sidewalk
9. A bag from any store in Times Square, usually M&Ms
10. Pointing at something

Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntech View Post
I totally witnessed this happening in Central Park today!

These 2 young girls were going crazy over a squirrel. They must have taken 20 photos of it. Yet next to this squirrel was an awesome 'army' of small birds together on the grass, which made for a great photo. But it's like they weren't even there. They only cared about the squirrel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City