Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times

Advertisements

Jack I think it's interesting that 4 out of the 6 things you counted as "luxuries" in NYC that is the norm everywhere else had to do with CARS. So what you are really saying is..you want to drive, you like to drive, and you want to a live in a place that caters to cars. In that case, I would agree that NYC is not for you, and you would be very unhappy here and NYC is definitely not your destiny. Maybe if you simply got rid of your car, or were not so car-focused, NYC would be the place for you.

Nevertheless, NYC goes against much of mainstream American culture. America is, as Jack asserted, all about cars, they enjoy having space, yards, and an overall suburban lifestyle with all the amenities to go with that (cars!). As a result, NYC is a wonderful place for American's to visit, but only for a short time because they miss their cars, 3,000 sf homes, supermarket shopping at a 40,000 sf big box retailer, abundant parking everywhere they go, and tuning out the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Jack I think it's interesting that 4 out of the 6 things you counted as "luxuries" in NYC that is the norm everywhere else had to do with CARS. So what you are really saying is..you want to drive, you like to drive, and you want to a live in a place that caters to cars. In that case, I would agree that NYC is not for you, and you would be very unhappy here and NYC is definitely not your destiny. Maybe if you simply got rid of your car, or were not so car-focused, NYC would be the place for you.

Nevertheless, NYC goes against much of mainstream American culture. America is, as Jack asserted, all about cars, they enjoy having space, yards, and an overall suburban lifestyle with all the amenities to go with that (cars!). As a result, NYC is a wonderful place for American's to visit, but only for a short time because they miss their cars, 3,000 sf homes, supermarket shopping at a 40,000 sf big box retailer, abundant parking everywhere they go, and tuning out the rest of the world.
I think wherever people visit any place in the United States they aren't dictated to return to their car, New York is a pain to visit because of how expensive it is.

As far as, 'the rest of the world'... it's hard to get there on foot, or by Subway that stops at your city limits.

New Yorkers are the most poorly traveled individuals I've ever met- (travel for pleasure) many give me the guise of 'Everything they need is right here in the City'; but those I know who live in other cities or suburbs make it out of town once a month to see their surroundings.
Hell, most people from Manhattan would consider seeing someone from Staten Island a long distance relationship, all of 10 miles away.

If you're prepared to live in NYC and give up your car, you give up your freedom to leave.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 PM

I have to disagree with you...I find that NYers are the most well traveled people I have ever met. It is an international population, so by definition, they are well traveled. P.S. I don't count going to the next town/surrounding area to shop or hike as "traveling." However, the reality is much of what other people travel for, we have at our fingertips: Extravagant nightlife, impressive/historic architecture, Historic/Iconic sites, experiencing different cultures/foods, beaches, and an overall different/unique environment. All of those things are just a few train stops away.

When you give up your car in NYC, you are giving up a DEBT/EXPENSE/CHAIN, and GAINING FREEDOM. Bye bye to car payments, adios to car insurance, caio to car repairs, auf wiedersehen to bumber-to-bumper traffic, bis bald to $3.00+ gas prices, and hello to $89 unlimited monthly metro card that takes you everywhere you need to go 24/7 and hi to alot more money in your pocket now that you don't have all those car expenses. Miss your car? Rent one for a weekend or for special trips/occasions then return it and be done with it and the expense. THAT IS FREEDOM.

It's that sort of attitude that makes people think if they don't own a house they will give up their future! You have to own a house...well because...umm...you are supposed to. Tie yourself down into a 30 year commitment, and well, hope that you break even and that you don't lose your job. Freedom indeed.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
grant516

n/a posts
You're just backed up exactly what I said.

You think you have everything at your fingertips, but here you've shut out the world.

Other cities have far more extravagant nightlife, even in this country.
Other cities have their own impressive/historic architecture.
I'm not sure New York City has any beaches worth going to, but I could be missing something.

It is true life here would be easier without a car, however I'm not going to get deep into the fact your $89 a month metrocard is nearly entirely subsidized by private drivers though TBTA tolls that only 15% of which go back to their own agency for nominal repairs and salaries in which to collect the tolls (seems pointless). That is hounded on way too many threads.

I can tell you though, from my experience the $89 would not take me -anywhere- I need to go; since I operate life on the outskirts of the city itself. It won't get me to JFK without additional fees, won't get me up to my grandmothers nursing home in Ossining, and wont get me anywhere near my friends houses in Bayonne or Oyster Bay.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Please note that I did NOT say we had everything, I said what most people travel for we have at our fingertips, not that we had everything or the best everything. Neither did I say that the Metrocard will take you to Ossining anymore than it will take you to Chicago or Hawaii...it does, however take you everywhere you need to go in NYC. (and yes you have to pay a little extra for JFK...but still cheaper than tolls!). You should note also that the Metrocard takes you to other public transportation options (PATH, LIRR, MetroNorth, NJTRANSIT, Light rail) that can take you to other places, like Bayonne and Oyster Bay. But that would require you to use your brain and be creative...what do you want for $89 bucks?

You have a chip on your shoulder, and that's ok. We already know NYC is not for you..it isn't for most people which is why the rest of the world is populated.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:45 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,708 times
Some people do not realize that living in suburbia in that 2500 sq ft house is not all it's cracked up to be. My husband and I bought a nice house 2.5 years ago (when the market was already down and we got a great deal at the time) in FL for a great price. Since then we've spent $16,000 on repairs/maintenance/improvements (nothing fancy- paint, flooring, landscaping, doors, 1 appliance, etc) and the value of our house has declined by twice that much.

What is there to do around here? Go to the beach, which I do not like, or go to a theme park at a cost of like $80 a person plus parking and food- nothing else. Want to catch a great show going on tour or your favorite band? Be prepared to drive 8 hours to wherever they are because they don't go everywhere. Want great food? Good luck. Most restaurants are chains and not worth it. Want to take your kids to some historical/cultural sites, events, or museums? Go on vacation to another state. Oh and the public schools are pathetic- I know kids that go all the way through high school getting straight A's and flunk in college because they don't even know how to write a paper.

Think life is cheap? Cost of living has gone up here enormously, pay has gone down. Sure rent is lower. But food is just as much, your $100/month transportation budget in Manhattan is now $500+ a month (car payment plus gas plus insurance plus repairs), for homeowners- insurance is through the roof (mine just went up 35%!), utilities cost more because you have to keep that 2500 sq ft house cool all summer long, etc.

Everyone will find a different place they like but I know so many people that move to FL thinking it's some sort of paradise and quickly realize it isn't. Some of them came from NYC and now say they want to go back- but it's hard for some people since they left their rent stabilized apartments. I'm going back to NYC this year and can't wait to be there!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Yes the grass isn't always greener, and alot of people go thru culture shock. I have lived in Florida (did the bachelor's there), and have a fair amount of family there (all transplants from the Bronx!), so I am intimately familiar with the lure of Florida (especially coming from NYC), and the realities of living there, like the low, low wages, driving everywhere for everything, bad schools, and lack of deep rooted neighborhoods, as everyone is from somewhere else and turnover is high.

I do think for low wage earners, blue collar to lower middle class, they have a better quality of life and lifestyle in Florida, and similar states, than in NYC. That $15-$20 an hour job goes a heck of alot further in Florida than NYC, especially for renters. But for higher wage earners, $100K+, NYC is tough to beat, not just because you can afford to live most anywhere, but because the number/variety of jobs at that pay scale are infinitely higher, and you have more access to even higher salaries, than in Florida and similar states.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM

307 posts, read 632,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I think wherever people visit any place in the United States they aren't dictated to return to their car, New York is a pain to visit because of how expensive it is.

As far as, 'the rest of the world'... it's hard to get there on foot, or by Subway that stops at your city limits.

New Yorkers are the most poorly traveled individuals I've ever met- (travel for pleasure) many give me the guise of 'Everything they need is right here in the City'; but those I know who live in other cities or suburbs make it out of town once a month to see their surroundings.
Hell, most people from Manhattan would consider seeing someone from Staten Island a long distance relationship, all of 10 miles away.

If you're prepared to live in NYC and give up your car, you give up your freedom to leave.

This may be the most ridiculous post I have ever read. Poorly traveled? I can almost guarantee you NYC has as high a % of passport holders as anywhere in the US. Or do you consider "travel" driving 20 miles on the interstate to the next town to get to the Walmart?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes the grass isn't always greener, and alot of people go thru culture shock. I have lived in Florida (did the bachelor's there), and have a fair amount of family there (all transplants from the Bronx!), so I am intimately familiar with the lure of Florida (especially coming from NYC), and the realities of living there, like the low, low wages, driving everywhere for everything, bad schools, and lack of deep rooted neighborhoods, as everyone is from somewhere else and turnover is high.

I do think for low wage earners, blue collar to lower middle class, they have a better quality of life and lifestyle in Florida, and similar states, than in NYC. That $15-$20 an hour job goes a heck of alot further in Florida than NYC, especially for renters. But for higher wage earners, $100K+, NYC is tough to beat, not just because you can afford to live most anywhere, but because the number/variety of jobs at that pay scale are infinitely higher, and you have more access to even higher salaries, than in Florida and similar states.
Yes very true...and LOL a $15-20 an hour job? Only if you have a college degree or work for one of the union jobs- UPS, Fedex, phone company, etc. Blue-collar people here can only dream that one day they will make $15-20 an hour. Most people think they have it good if they make $13-14 an hour.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 PM

25 posts, read 36,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post

Disagree with the bold

And give up your car, your giving up your freedom to leave? Dude there are other transportation options to go out of the city/country than just a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City