Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:16 PM

83 posts, read 121,107 times

Advertisements

Hahaha XD replies in this thread are funny. Oh I hate NYC for living & I plan to go out of state college & live elsewhere. This place is only good for shopping 1-3week 'vacations'. Rofl who'd spend their vacation here? :b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,725 times
Default relocate new yorkl

my wife and i are looking to move to new york next year, fed up like yourself, with whole lifestyle, live in glasgow scotland. just got married want new start
and loved new york, back for a visit few months time, would like to sort out where best neighborhood to live( on certain budget of course, no family all grown up now, run my own trophy engraving business back home. would like to set up again, depending how easy or hard it is getting license in new york.
appreciate any info.

murray

Old 10-24-2010, 11:44 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,211,359 times
I have family on both coasts so I compare California and New York all the time trying to figure out where I should stay. I don't think I could retire in NYC. It's not a good place for older people, the quality of living is better in the west. I own a 3-bedroom home with a nice backyard there and can maintain it for under $300 a month. So when I'm 65 it will be perfect. There's no way you could do that in NYC.

But for now, I love the business opportunities and the "energy" of NYC. I know the economy stinks, but in only 10 days of looking for a job in NYC, I got a job offer. It was for a crappy job, but a job nonetheless. I also have 2 more interviews, one in NJ and one in NY. Normally, in Cali I don't get that many response from resumes, so I know the economy is bad but overall there's still more opportunities on the east coast.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM

769 posts, read 2,047,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
I have family on both coasts so I compare California and New York all the time trying to figure out where I should stay. I don't think I could retire in NYC. It's not a good place for older people, the quality of living is better in the west. I own a 3-bedroom home with a nice backyard there and can maintain it for under $300 a month. So when I'm 65 it will be perfect. There's no way you could do that in NYC.

But for now, I love the business opportunities and the "energy" of NYC. I know the economy stinks, but in only 10 days of looking for a job in NYC, I got a job offer. It was for a crappy job, but a job nonetheless. I also have 2 more interviews, one in NJ and one in NY. Normally, in Cali I don't get that many response from resumes, so I know the economy is bad but overall there's still more opportunities on the east coast.
Agreed. When I was looking for a job in NY, I applied for 30-40 jobs every week in my field, easily. There were so many I had to start being picky about which ones I actually applied for because I couldn't keep up with all of them. In FL I would be lucky to find 5 a week. In my trip to NY a few weeks ago I actually had several interviews on the same day. I think it depends on what you do, but I think that for working professionals the opportunities in NY are much better than other parts of the country.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 PM

41 posts, read 99,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaNote View Post
I'd love to hear some feedback on this. I've been living in or near this city on and off my whole life. I've now turned 41 and find myself in the last few months itchy to move out. I feel like the city and perhaps myself, have changed greatly. It just feels claustrophobic and loud to me lately.
While, I am still single and living in a 2x4 in midtown, I feel like there just has to be more to life than this city. But at the same time, it's just such a hard place to leave. I feel like I've convinced myself that I want to go but at the same time have scared myself into believing I could never really leave.
Are there any other singles out there that find themselves in almost midlife thinking is this place where I really want to be forever? Does your job hold you here?
Anyone else have dreams of wanderlust? Just quitting your job, picking it up and moving away? And if so, where would you go?
No nyc is not my destiny. Yes I would just loooove to quit my job and be out but unfortunatly its not that simple when your on a Government job for years with a pension at state. IF I move south where i want to be im looking at deep drop in salary. so i stay and tough it out.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,725 times
Thanks for your replys, cost of living in any big city is always alot higher, our petrol prices are in £1.18p thats $1.77 per litre thats down right highway robbery. britain is going through worst economic downturn in history where every public service is being cut to the bones by the tories.
which is going to hit the working class the worse. so to me its time to get out and i like city living, and new york looks good to me & my wife. its what you make it that counts when your making a new start in life.

murray

Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 PM

101 posts, read 300,236 times
We retired here from FL. I lived in FL my whole life. We saved up enough to live comfortably (yes, we could live 'rich' somewhere else) but I got sick of the car centric suburbs. Plus my air conditioning bills were astronomical. Yes we could afford it but our energy footprint was appalling. Anyway I'd recommend to anyone to move from your hometown at some point in your life. Otherwise you'll always wonder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City