Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times

Advertisements

I think being raised in NYC (spending your formative years) is what makes someone a New Yorker. That is, you are raised with a NY state of mind, and it is the only thing you know. If later on, you move elsewhere, I think you are still a New Yorker.

Transplants to me, unless they have spend many many years here, are not New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
A resident or a New Yorker...?
A New Yorker.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:13 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
immigrants get a new yorker pass over transplants.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Tell me you just made this up?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
I agree.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:54 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,902 times
Quote:
I second that!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Transplants that have lived in NYC, especially the outer boroughs for more than 10 years are VERY much
New Yorkers.
They may, but they do not have the essence of the NY lifestyle Natives have. If you've never attended school (excludes college), first and foremost, you do not have that NYC student experience. It's important for people to understand this because our education is pretty much seen as different from other states'. Most of the transplants I've met here immediately say how NYC schools are bad without even experiencing it.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:21 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Tell me you just made this up?
um no its the truth. a dominican, haitian, jamaican, puerto rican , russian , chinese, etc will always be more of a real new yorker then a transplant from Idaho, or wyoming, or ohio.

immigrants is what forms nyc, and always has, not transplants.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
um no its the truth. a dominican, haitian, jamaican, puerto rican , russian , chinese, etc will always be more of a real new yorker then a transplant from Idaho, or wyoming, or ohio.

immigrants is what forms nyc, and always has, not transplants.
They're not real NYers though, especially today's new crop of immigrants. They don't identify with America, only hangout with each other and now with cheap international long distance, emails, international texting, skype, they can stay in touch with the "old country" practically everyday forever if they want to.

You have to be RAISED here from a child (in my opinion) to "understand" what it's really like to LIVE here.

Then again, so many things have changed from when I was a kid that I doubt it means much anymore. When you have an entire borough now catering to the super rich and people who actually believed Sex and the City was real (LOL), then the dynamics change.

There's no way on God's green earth, I would spend $2,000 to live in 400 sq ft studio apartment with a tiny bathroom, tiny closets and a half-kitchen or "kitchenette" type deal. I don't think any REAL NYers would do that, except rich foreigners and transplants.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM

32 posts, read 36,926 times
a New Yorker is someone who is born and rasied here. Also i don't know i can agree with if you leave your former new yorker, cuz no matter what you are always gunna have that NY mentallity, and that NY swagger. Also i will accept saying someone is new yorker if they moved to NY and has lived for a decent amount of time like for example having children there and having them rasied there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City