Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,460 times

Advertisements

I don't see any discussion about the Roosevelt Island. Does it belong to Manhattan borough? I've also never seen housing listings from there? Is it expensive there? Anything anyone knows about this little island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 03:07 AM

154 posts, read 536,008 times
Roosevelt Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and when u search on craiglist for roosevelt island you find plenty appartments.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Politically, Roosevelt Island is a part of Manhattan (zip code 10044).

It's got quite a history of name changes. Originally, it was called Blackwell's Island, after the first person to claim it. Later it was Welfare Island, but when the connotations of that word began to change, the name Roosevelt was adopted.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:43 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
The library branch on Roosevelt Island belongs to the NYPL (New York Public Library) system (which serves Manhattan) rather than the Queens Library system.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
Roosevelt Island is also generally less expensive for coparable apartments when measured against more prime areas of Manhattan, with 3BRs with a view and terrace priced similarly to 2BRs without those amenities in other neighborhoods.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-15-2009, 10:47 PM

197 posts, read 895,418 times
To find apartment listing try using zip code 10044, most apartment finders dont list the area as Roosevelt Island just as part of Manhattan. They are plenty of apartments in Roosevelt Island. The place is alittle weird though lots of disabled people over there. It also has some bizarre Communist bloc architecture. It is convenient to Manhattan and the Bronx though.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
It is also convenient to Queens as there is direct subway service there (F train).

Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 AM

47 posts, read 217,203 times
It's officially part of Manhattan as far as zip codes go, but political NYCers will tell you it's not. I lived in the Octagon on RI in the past, it was nice. Just depends what you're looking for. You get more space for your money, amenities, park spaces, city views, and a relatively easy commute. It's an odd island: a mix of nice buildings and poor buildings....the grocery store is awful, but ok for basic necessities. Beware: you have to pack yourself like a sardine on the morning rush hour F train. I think it's a good alternative to Manhattan if you have a family and have been priced out of nice buildings in Manhattan. My building had a parking garage and daycare center.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM

49 posts, read 158,934 times
I was just reading about The Octagon. It sounded like an interesting place to live.

I keep seeing good and not-so-good reviews of the building and life on RI itself. It's so hard to know who to believe.

Some say the local red bus is great, others don't.
What's commuting like in the dead of winter?

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,154 times
There is a thread on Roosevelt Island here if you do a search.

My relative used to live there. I loved visiting. The Main Street has a small town feel with its shops and restaurants. Most of the buildings have a great view of the East River. There is also a greenway that loops around the whole island, great for walking etc.

You can access Qns and Manhattan too. Good location to live in the city and yet a lot quieter and nicer than most other places. I highly recommend it. Though food shopping can be limited, so you may want to do your food shopping off the island or use Fresh Direct if they deliver there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City