Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,756,849 times

Advertisements

I've convinced my girlfriend to move out of Soundview and into a nicer part of the Bronx. Our desire is a diverse street or building . I'm white, she Latina. We want someplace where we will both feel comfortable. Bluedog2 mentioned that Pelham Parkway is a diverse neighborhood. This is exciting because the Williamsbridge section is our favorite part of the Bronx. I love the layout of that area. We have gone to few restaurants and bars and spoken to some of the people. Although we see blacks and Latinos walk in the area, none seem to live there. Several people have told us it's an Italian neighborhood. She wants a place where speaking Spanish isn't unusual and I want the place to be in a very well kept, quiet area. Next week we are checking out an apartment in an art deco building across from the Bronx Zoo. Many people are suggesting we look into the Parkchester apartments. Does anyone know of any street or apartment complex that would meet our needs in Pelham Parkway or comparable neighborhood? This is her place but I'm helping her with the rent and I want to see her out of Soundview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,337,360 times
Besides Williamsbridge, Parkchester and Pelham Parkway, I would also consider Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, Throggs Neck (no train service though), and Arthur Ave/Belmont. They all qualify as diverse and mixed-income communities....each with their own pluses and minuses but may fit your requirements.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:03 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,788,006 times
I'll tell u like I tell everybody that wants to stay in the Bronx. 2 words:Co-Op City.
No better value for your money. Nice--safe---quiet---and electricity--heat--AND air conditioning are all free!
Laundry in every building too.
24 hour PRIVATE police + constant NYPD patrols.
Look into it---u may just like it.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,075,321 times
I say stay in soundview and try lafayette, much better than co-op and one of the best locations to live in the bronx.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 PM

9,242 posts, read 24,014,391 times
Pelham Parkway sounds like it might be a great fit for her.

The demographics are approx 35% non hispanic white (mostly either Italian or Albanian but a fair number of Irish,Jews,Greeks,Russians,etc) about 30% Hispanic(maybe 50% Puerto Rican but others from virtually every country in Central and South America),25% black( both long standing American Blacks and immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean) and 10% Asian of many varieties.

It is also a very economically diverse neighborhood with incomes probably ranging from 30,000 to over 100,000.

The Western part of the neighborhood( around Bronx Park East, White Plains Rd,Cruger,Wallace Holland,Barnes andMatthews) is the most urban and the most diverse and it is mostly apartment buildings,a lot of them co ops. As you move further East to Williamsbridge Rd and beyond,towards Eastchester Rd the neighborhood becomes less diverse( mostly white) and more suburban like. There are still a lot of apartment buildings but more single family houses.

There are some great restaurants,good transportation( both subways and busses) and it is right next to both the zoo and The Botanical Garden and is a fairly short walk or bus ride through the Zoo or Botanical Garden to Little Italy.

I live North of Pelham Parkway between White Plains Road and Bronx Park East.It is a very nice part of the neighborhood ,very close to the park and Botanical Garden and only 2 blocks from the subway station.Lots of nice buildings here.

Spanish is very common throughout the neighborhood.Spanish,Albanian, Italian and of course English are all common.

How much rent do you want to be paying?

Here is a link to some photos from around the neighborhood that I took a few weeks ago:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nx-photos.html

Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 PM

9,242 posts, read 24,014,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
This is exciting because the Williamsbridge section is our favorite part of the Bronx. I love the layout of that area. We have gone to few restaurants and bars and spoken to some of the people.....
Do you mean Williamsbridge section of The Bronx or the Williamsbridge Road area just South of Pelham Parkway ?

The neighborhood( section) called Williamsbridge is further North and is not the same at all.It has nothing to do with Pelham Parkway.

If you were in restaurants on Williamsbridge Road, just to the South Of Pelham Parkway,you were in the area where the Pelham Parkway neighborhood bleeds into Morris Park.Morris Park is a mostly Italian neighborhood and the Italianness gets more pronounced as you go down Williamsbridge Road to Morris Park Avenue..The two neighborhoods overlap in that area to the North of Morris Park Avenue and Pelham Parkway.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-21-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,337,360 times
I would not include Co-Op city as diverse in the way the op described...it really isn't at all. It is very affordable, the units are great, and well-maintained, relatively safe and lots of amenities, but not diverse racially (economically yes).

Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Besides Williamsbridge, Parkchester and Pelham Parkway, I would also consider Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, Throggs Neck (no train service though), and Arthur Ave/Belmont. They all qualify as diverse and mixed-income communities....each with their own pluses and minuses but may fit your requirements.

I forgot about that being close to the subway is a must. She doesn't drive and I rarely take my car into the city. That's why I don't like Throggs Neck but we have noticed that the bus runs frequently to Westchester Square.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I say stay in soundview and try lafayette, much better than co-op and one of the best locations to live in the bronx.

No offense but Soundview is just too grungy, run down and depressing looking. I liked the nice outdoor cafes in Pelham pkwy, the parkway itself is inviting, much nicer stores, no cheap variety stores or bodegas on every corner, the nearby zoo looks like a park itself and let's face it, the place looks much cleaner than Soundview.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Pelham Parkway sounds like it might be a great fit for her.

The demographics are approx 35% non hispanic white (mostly either Italian or Albanian but a fair number of Irish,Jews,Greeks,Russians,etc) about 30% Hispanic(maybe 50% Puerto Rican but others from virtually every country in Central and South America),25% black( both long standing American Blacks and immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean) and 10% Asian of many varieties.

It is also a very economically diverse neighborhood with incomes probably ranging from 30,000 to over 100,000.

The Western part of the neighborhood( around Bronx Park East, White Plains Rd,Cruger,Wallace Holland,Barnes andMatthews) is the most urban and the most diverse and it is mostly apartment buildings,a lot of them co ops. As you move further East to Williamsbridge Rd and beyond,towards Eastchester Rd the neighborhood becomes less diverse( mostly white) and more suburban like. There are still a lot of apartment buildings but more single family houses.

There are some great restaurants,good transportation( both subways and busses) and it is right next to both the zoo and The Botanical Garden and is a fairly short walk or bus ride through the Zoo or Botanical Garden to Little Italy.

I live North of Pelham Parkway between White Plains Road and Bronx Park East.It is a very nice part of the neighborhood ,very close to the park and Botanical Garden and only 2 blocks from the subway station.Lots of nice buildings here.

Spanish is very common throughout the neighborhood.Spanish,Albanian, Italian and of course English are all common.

How much rent do you want to be paying?

Here is a link to some photos from around the neighborhood that I took a few weeks ago:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nx-photos.html

With me helping her, the cap is at $1700 but we are looking more around $1300. I like the area east of the Zoo but everyone is saying it's all white. Do you know of any blocks (legal apts in houses) or apt buildings with a mix of whites and Latinos? So many people have suggested the Parkchester apt. But I have no idea where they are. It has to be close to the train.

Last edited by 1nevets; 09-21-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City