Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am a born and raised New Yorker grew up in Queens!! I have been living in Bedford Stuyvesant Brooklyn for 2 years now and although Bed-stuy has had it's moments it has turned out to be a very supportive community.
My family just got a rent voucher called Advantage for 1481 my husband and I have to pay 630 because they changed the program and now you have to pay 30% right off. I received an offer from a broker for an apartment for that amount it is 4 bedrooms and has two full baths...this is perfect because we have 6 children and we need the space, the price is awesome but I want to know if the neighborhood is going to be okay for my children?? They are doing well in school here but apartments really aren't taking us in bed-stuy either the family size is too much or it's more than what I was approved for.
Any input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 04:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudmama79 View Post
Hi everyone I am a born and raised New Yorker grew up in Queens!! I have been living in Bedford Stuyvesant Brooklyn for 2 years now and although Bed-stuy has had it's moments it has turned out to be a very supportive community.
My family just got a rent voucher called Advantage for 1481 my husband and I have to pay 630 because they changed the program and now you have to pay 30% right off. I received an offer from a broker for an apartment for that amount it is 4 bedrooms and has two full baths...this is perfect because we have 6 children and we need the space, the price is awesome but I want to know if the neighborhood is going to be okay for my children?? They are doing well in school here but apartments really aren't taking us in bed-stuy either the family size is too much or it's more than what I was approved for.
Any input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Um what part of University Heights?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Um what part of University Heights?
Not sure the broker said in the 170's and he wants me to look at it tomorrow but I told him I would call and let him know. He said the city has built these new apartment buildings there and the apartment is in one of them.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudmama79 View Post
Not sure the broker said in the 170's and he wants me to look at it tomorrow but I told him I would call and let him know. He said the city has built these new apartment buildings there and the apartment is in one of them.
That's Morris Heights. I had a feeling that it wasn't UH because we have less of those government funded buildings. But the neighborhood is real bad. However since you're coming from Bed-Stuy, you are probably already used to the hood.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
That's Morris Heights. I had a feeling that it wasn't UH because we have less of those government funded buildings. But the neighborhood is real bad. However since you're coming from Bed-Stuy, you are probably already used to the hood.
lol..yep I was definitely trying to bring my kids to something else though
they are all student body holders, my daughter was valedictorian of her 5th grade graduating class last year my son was an honor society student all year last year.
Well although it was brand new and right size, right price I will look elsewhere thanks!!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 PM

Before deciding anything, go to the area and visit yourself. But those types of buildings are usually in low-income neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City