Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInQueens View Post
Lots of fat people in NY, . . it can't be that bad.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
NYC has some awesome restaurants but I been to other cities where the food was surprisingly amazingly good. Chicago and Minneapolis surprised the heck out of me with their chain of r restaurants.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:27 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,786 times
Here's the part where someone says "you have to get out of Manhattan" .

Here in Astoria, Queens, it's pretty hard not to eat an incredible variety of food within a few blocks. Just around the Astoria/Ditmars Blvd. train stop, you can have top-quality Italian, Greek, Ecuadorian, Middle Eastern, Polish, Czech (!), German or any other great cuisine. Wonderful seafood, great carts and take-out. Loads of farmer's market-type veggie stores, organic and health food. We would all be gigantic if we didn't walk so much.

For breakfast just now I had: omelet with free-range eggs and smoked gouda, artisanal organic bread with French butter, fresh watermelon, Polish biscuits and Swedish cookies, all purchased here on Ditmars Blvd (at around 11 p.m.)

(@ MikeinQueens -- where are the fat people? Trust me, compared to the rest of the country, New Yorkers are very fit.)

Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
OMG! LOL New York is all about food quality! Where have you been? LOL You got fresh food coming in from all over the world. You got some of the best chefs in the world who set up shop in NYC. You got the mom and pop places or the big restaurants ran by people who have stuck to their traditions or just know how to cook. Come on man, lol, is this a joke thread? Food cart wise, I never really ate from food carts, just never did. But, restaurants, delis are great. You might wanna check out some Yahoo searches by using "NYC cuisine" "new york city (NYC) restaurants" or "NYC food carts" or something like that and just explore those results.
Fresh food coming in from all over the world? That's my point. In SF, the fresh food comes from next door, not from a plane or cargo ship.

As I said, I wasn't talking about preparation and I love my NYC food, but the best ingredients make the best food and fresh ingredients that can ripen on the tree or the vine instead in a storage room somewhere is better.

And some of the best food in NYC is on food carts. There are chefs from places like Jean Georges mixed with folks making their regional specialities. Check out the Vendy Awards sometime.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 PM

186 posts, read 427,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfthewave4 View Post

I want your opinion on New York City eating overall. Overall how much do you enjoy New York City food and do you eat from food carts/trucks? Give me any info you want on New York food. Have any must visit restaurant recommendations? I am open to them.Thanks.
overrated.

i will admit that I am as picky as they come, but I find that since I've been here Ive been completely underwhelmed by most, if not all places that people have recommended in one way or another. with every endeavor, something just isn't right. I think food here lacks substance. It seems to be more about the name/location/status/atmosphere/hype/trend...etc., than it is about the quality, freshness and most importantly, taste and service. Just my $0.02.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 PM

186 posts, read 427,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Here's the part where someone says "you have to get out of Manhattan" .

(@ MikeinQueens -- where are the fat people? Trust me, compared to the rest of the country, New Yorkers are very fit.)
You need to visit some other states besides NJ and PA.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,786 times
nephil, I spend no time in NJ and PA.

But just for your edification, check out the Center for Disease Control's list of Obesity Rankings by state. NY is #38, which makes it the 13th fittest state (list also includes District of Columbia).

And surprise to you, NJ is fitter, at #42, the 9th fittest state.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephil View Post
overrated.

i will admit that I am as picky as they come, but I find that since I've been here Ive been completely underwhelmed by most, if not all places that people have recommended in one way or another. with every endeavor, something just isn't right. I think food here lacks substance. It seems to be more about the name/location/status/atmosphere/hype/trend...etc., than it is about the quality, freshness and most importantly, taste and service. Just my $0.02.
maybe you're just going to the more trendy places? what type of food do you like to eat specifically when dining out?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City