Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:05 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times

Advertisements

This weekend I did some intense trekking through the Bronx. I saw some great neighborhoods and a lot of dumps. I now have some knowledge of all the boroughs. I would like to put my spin on the most expensive neighborhoods outside of Manhattan.

1) Brooklyn Heights
2) Emerson/Todt Hills
3) Riverdale
4) Park Slope
5) Jamaica Estates
6) Cobble Hill
7) Whitestone
8) Country Club
9) Little Neck
10)Forest Hill/Kew Gardens

I didn't include any small neighborhoods within neighborhoods or gated communities.
Am I on the mark or way off base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 AM

979 posts, read 4,457,300 times
I consider you the expert.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
The only question I might have is...what's the point? I could have put together the same exact list. Where do we go from here?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
You should do a similar trek through Queens, Staten Island, and Brooklyn and you will come to the same conclusion: I saw some great neighborhoods and alot of dumps.

Please note, your version of "dump" is another person's affordable area with a short commute to Manhattan, or an area being repositioned to a working/middle class community, or a decent place to live, all depends on your view/where you are from/what your goals are.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You should do a similar trek through Queens, Staten Island, and Brooklyn and you will come to the same conclusion: I saw some great neighborhoods and alot of dumps.

Please note, your version of "dump" is another person's affordable area with a short commute to Manhattan, or an area being repositioned to a working/middle class community, or a decent place to live, all depends on your view/where you are from/what your goals are.

Excellent point.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
This weekend I did some intense trekking through the Bronx. I saw some great neighborhoods and a lot of dumps. I now have some knowledge of all the boroughs. I would like to put my spin on the most expensive neighborhoods outside of Manhattan.

1) Brooklyn Heights
2) Emerson/Todt Hills
3) Riverdale
4) Park Slope
5) Jamaica Estates
6) Cobble Hill
7) Whitestone
8) Country Club
9) Little Neck
10)Forest Hill/Kew Gardens

I didn't include any small neighborhoods within neighborhoods or gated communities.
Am I on the mark or way off base?
I assume you mean Forest Hills and are including the area of Forest Hills Gardens.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume you mean Forest Hills and are including the area of Forest Hills Gardens.

yes, also i meant Bayside not Little Neck.
Does anyone know if Hollis Park Gardens is part of Hollis or Jamaica?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I'll leave Manhattan off, that should be obvious.

Bronx - Riverdale
Brooklyn - Brooklyn Heights, Mill Basin, Park Slope, Manhattan Beach
Queens - Malba, Douglaston, Neponsit, Jamaica Estates
Staten Island - Todt Hill

These are the more affluent neighborhoods.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
Parts of Todt Hill are like a different world (gotta love all the Mafia money that has been invested into the area). I always found it funny that they named a housing project after the neighborhood (even though they aren't even in Todt Hill). Is there a bigger oxymoron than "Todt Hill projects?" I guess it's only fitting that they're among the tamest ones in the city. Imagine how it would hurt the brand of the neighborhood if they were just the opposite though. lol

Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
the bronx-riverdale,pelham,country club basically anywhere in the northern portion of the borough thast sells homes. Its not just riverdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City