U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 AM

54 posts, read 358,791 times

Advertisements

Another realtor in the Jackson Heights area is Beaudoin Realty. They have a website also. Daniel Karatzas, of Beaudoin, is a nationally known expert on Jackson Heights, and the author of the book, Jackson Heights, A Garden in the City. He usually hosts the community's annual garden apartment tours. With his expertise and knowledge, you'll be able to learn a lot about the community. Within the past 5 years or so, there has been a huge influx of young families that have been priced out of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Jackson Heights' primary appeal is it's ethnic diversity. Many people from all over living together in harmony. Also, there are limited box type stores such as the ones a previous poster mentioned (Barnes & Noble, Gap, etc.) Residents have always seemed to want to maintain the "mom and pop" aspect of the commercial areas, although we will be seeing an espresso bar and a Starbucks opening soon. The main shopping strip of 37th Avenue also has a nice pastry cafe called Lety's Cafe. The pastry chef is formerly of the famed Venieros in lower Manhattan. It seems he picked-up on a few tricks of the trade after working there for 20 years. The cafe, with its small tables, has a relaxing appeal to it. The community also hosts a weekend green market during the warm weather months and into October. If you prefer organics, Fresh Direct now delivers to the area. There also is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) market that provides organic fruits and vegetables that are harvested at Long Island Farms. Dines Meats and Poultry provides grass fed meats at the CSA as well. They will also make delivery stops in the neighborhood. Fairway Supermarket in Red Hook is a 15 minute drive on the BQE from Jackson Heights. It makes for a pleasant shopping trip since the back of the market is open and faces the water with a nice view of the Statue of Liberty. There are picnic tables available as well as the Fairway Cafe. Re: JH schools, The Garden School (private) produces somewhere up to 98% college graduates attending universities such as MIT, Harvard, etc. There are numerous public schools in addition to St. Joan of Arc's parochial school.

Jackson Heights is also conveniently located and is very close to areas such as Astoria, Long Island City, Forest Hills or Manhattan, if you wish to visit. A good website to browse is the Jackson Heights Beautification Group. Sorry. I'm a newbie here and haven't looked into linking directly yet.

To begin, browse through:

Jackson Heights Beautification Group
Farmspot.org | A Jackson Heights NY CSA
Beaudoin Realtor, Queens, New York
Jackson Heights,.Hamptons, Long Island City, and Woodside, NY Real Estate – James Hubschmitt
Chowhound Boards - Chowhound
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 12:06 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,787,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
Also, there are limited box type stores such as the ones a previous poster mentioned (Barnes & Noble, Gap, etc.) Chowhound Boards - Chowhound

Actually, when I mentioned the b&n and nysc (etc) I was talking about Forest Hills. Jackson heights does have some large-chain stores, but they are all drug stores like CVS and Rite Aid, GNCs and Vitamin Shoppes, shoe stores like Payless, Radio Shack and banks like Commerce and HSBC etc. A Starbucks is on the way but there is nothing along the lines of a Gap or B&N. This could be seen as either the charm of JH (means more mom and pop stores and great little ethnic restaurants) or some may see it as a lack of convenience.

For me it's a bit of both. It's great to be able to explore along the lines of Jim Leff's google map of obscure street food in eastern jackson heights (from chowhound.com) but I have having to go outside my neighborhood to find a decent gym.

The yahoo families groups is at jhfamilies : Jackson Heights Families

Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Actually, when I mentioned the b&n and nysc (etc) I was talking about Forest Hills. Jackson heights does have some large-chain stores, but they are all drug stores like CVS and Rite Aid, GNCs and Vitamin Shoppes, shoe stores like Payless, Radio Shack and banks like Commerce and HSBC etc. A Starbucks is on the way but there is nothing along the lines of a Gap or B&N. This could be seen as either the charm of JH (means more mom and pop stores and great little ethnic restaurants) or some may see it as a lack of convenience.

For me it's a bit of both. It's great to be able to explore along the lines of Jim Leff's google map of obscure street food in eastern jackson heights (from chowhound.com) but I have having to go outside my neighborhood to find a decent gym.

The yahoo families groups is at jhfamilies : Jackson Heights Families
Henna, I apologize. I didn't mean to post that you say there are stores such and BN, Gap, Pottery Barn here. I should have worded it better in my post. I meant to say that JH does not have these types of large corporate owned stores. And yes. The ones we do have seem to be along the lines of the drugstore chains, Subway sandwich shops, Dunkin Donuts, as well as a few others. As you mention, it's true that there are certain amenities still lacking such as a good gym and bookstore. I too have to travel outside of the area, thankfully not too far, to find these types of providers.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM

20 posts, read 115,891 times
It's going to be really hard for you to find the neighborhood that you described with that price range and apartment size. Let me know if you can find such sweet deal.  I personally don’t really like Jackson Height area. It has many different restaurants but not really a nice neighborhood feel. Even with the E train (express), it will take you close to an hour to WFC (includes some walking) in the morning. Astoria, Sunnyside and Long Island City are closer to Mid-town. I don’t know much about Brooklyn. As for parking, it’s not easy on the street. You will have to move the car at least one a week for the alternate side parking rule; unless you drive the car everyday. But then again, you are looking for parking all the time. I currently live in Queens and paying $140 a month to park my car in Central Parking garage.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny18 View Post
It's going to be really hard for you to find the neighborhood that you described with that price range and apartment size. Let me know if you can find such sweet deal.  I personally don’t really like Jackson Height area. It has many different restaurants but not really a nice neighborhood feel. Even with the E train (express), it will take you close to an hour to WFC (includes some walking) in the morning. Astoria, Sunnyside and Long Island City are closer to Mid-town. I don’t know much about Brooklyn. As for parking, it’s not easy on the street. You will have to move the car at least one a week for the alternate side parking rule; unless you drive the car everyday. But then again, you are looking for parking all the time. I currently live in Queens and paying $140 a month to park my car in Central Parking garage.
Wow penny18! $140 for monthly parking? That's a great deal. Our neighborhood central parking garage charges $300 per month.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 24,895 times
I just bought a VERY affordable (under $650K), 2 bed / 2 bath (998 sq ft) condo in LIC, low maintanance and taxes ($200/mth!). It has a personal balcony overlooking Manhattan and is 5 minutes by train to the city. Lovely, quiet and quaint. You should check them out...website is Forty First Avenue.

Good luck

Last edited by nyCITYgirl; 07-12-2007 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,787,196 times
nyCITYgirl, can you explain how it is that you made two posts today in different threads stating that you just bought a 2 bed 2 bath condo (998 sq feet) and in another post you state you just bought a studio that is around 500 sq feet? All one has to do to see them is click on your name.

If you indeed bought two condos at the same time, why not say you bought two? It's hard to take these posts seriously, as the link you provide is pretty much just a promotion for the condo building itself.

It sounds to me either like SPAM or if not spam, then a misleading or unhelpful post.

Maybe you bought two condos in the same building and you want others to buy as well because unsold condos in a development is a liability for the primary buyers. In any case, something just doesn't sound quite right.

Just a hunch. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City