Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

Grant then you should go to Florida right now..you are 28..what's the delay? BronxCambo this city is not for the rich and its followers, if you like I can give you a nice tour of NYC to show you how unrich the city really is...Avg household income in all of NYC is about $42,000, with the boroughs even lower....city of the rich? Hardly....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 7,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I'm 28, and I'd rather be in Florida.

... and $600 can certainly get you a 1 br in Orlando or areas surrounding FTL where the young greatly outnumber the old. Hell in Orlando or JAX 600 can pay your MORTGAGE right now.

I'm not trying to deny the OP anything, but if you're tired of being surrounded by old people- there certainly are other places in the state of FL you can live. In NYC you will be surrounded by high-income people, which can be great if you can keep it up.

Nothing NYC has at this point will ever justify it's pricetag to me- that unexplainable 'allure' of wanting to live in the biggest city in the US- can absolutely not be explained by logical figures. Like when people put on a Pros and Cons list- 'Pro : It's New York'.

Means absolutely nothing to me.
New York is not the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz where wishes are granted. As I stated, I'm not from Dubuque.

I was born in New York. Went to college in New York. Almost my entire family is here. Most of the people I went to college with are here. A girl I was on/off with for 7 years is here. And, I have employment here. I don't want to be the next big star.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
America is becoming more third world. You are either extremely rich or poor. Central & downtown manhattan is the wealthy section the outskirts are the poor sections.

What is happening here is the same thing that happen in Japan.

Try finding an apartment in Japan. A studio would be about $1,500
Japan is not a third world country.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Grant then you should go to Florida right now..you are 28..what's the delay? BronxCambo this city is not for the rich and its followers, if you like I can give you a nice tour of NYC to show you how unrich the city really is...Avg household income in all of NYC is about $42,000, with the boroughs even lower....city of the rich? Hardly....
Less than 5% of the households in NYC probably do earn $42,000- that number is arrived at by combining the many far stretched sides of the spectrum.

I will leave New York soon enough, I'm involved in a school program here that currently ties me to being local.

The OP has now stated he is coming to New York now with large intentions of the people he knows who lives here and the history he has here- a completely different reason than just leaving where he was, on account of it not being 100% for him.

I wish him luck, but will point out- while the housing stock has likely crashed heavily where you are, in areas of the country where building has been stagnant- Foreclosures and cheap rent/buying prices is minimal as compared to area where development was still taking place.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Grant..by definition average includes every income..so yes it includes the far stretches of the spectrum and everything in between. Why are you explaining that as if it is something unusual or strange? That's what an average is. I think the median income in NYC (the exact numeric middle, not average) is about $75,000.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Grant..by definition average includes every income..so yes it includes the far stretches of the spectrum and everything in between. Why are you explaining that as if it is something unusual or strange? That's what an average is. I think the median income in NYC (the exact numeric middle, not average) is about $75,000.

According to this website in 2008 the median income for New York city was $51,116.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 7,669 times
Went to an open house last night. Application submitted this morning. Here's hoping.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but moving home for a year may save a lot of money if you and the parents are up for it. It would be tremendously helpful. That's how people did it back in the day, and it makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 PM

301 posts, read 639,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I love how the basic gist of the thread is that I'm going to give up living well in Florida just to be in low-quality-living New York City.
Well you have to consider the fact that he will be getting far more amenities in NY over anywhere in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City