Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times

Advertisements

i know. i was just saying. it feels so far removed from everything. it's like a dropoff.

i thought it was a normal place to live till i moved there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Well what do you expect? Bensonhurst is a middle-class residential community, its not the Village or something. Bensonhurst is not supposed to be cool, its supposed to be a normal place to live, and unfortunately that is even changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times

Back in the day!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 AM

319 posts, read 494,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
it's not just my block... it's the whole area. people are nosey more than anything. i don't think we stand out doing simple things like watering plants. i put my garbage near my neighbor's once just because i was passing her house - it was garbage pickup that morning in like an hour. people are very protective of their garbage - it seems to be a common pasttime. she proceeded (unbeknownst to me because i'd left for work) to pick up and empty it out all over my stoop. classy. the roads are horrible in terms of huge gaps and bumps - looks like we've had major earthquakes. my poor car.

i have to play charades to pick up my dry cleaning - and this is now my 4th place i've gone to. i've had to get on the floor and point and draw a rug with my finger. and i had the pickup ticket.

it is so far removed from anything appealing in any way shape or form. it's like being in the middle of nowhere - the fashions are amusing too. feels like a time warp, trapped in the 80s or 90s... except for the ultra trendy mandee or annie sez on 18 avenue or something.

i think when my husband and i moved there that we wanted somewhere residential and affordable - but it comes at a price, one which i can see forking over more money in rent to avoid. people are incredibly mean and this is not strictly limited to one culture. although the chinese walking around coughing up phlegm nearly missing my feet as i pass is pretty common. everyone stares at you though like everything you do is so terribly enthralling. like look at me i'm moving my car - ooh everyone gather on your stoop in your wife beaters and housedresses and scratch your a** and watch. it's just funny in a way - like in so many ways that neighborhood's changed, but in so many ways some things will never change.

i have found too when i give someone a smile when walking by that you get odd looks or if opposite sex, will think you are flirting with them, especially if passing infamous 65 street with all the guys lurking on every corner.

i don't think that i'm nonaccepting. i've felt that attitude towards me since we moved there 2 years ago. driving is atrocious - if you honk at someone who just darts across the street, not loooking either way (can't tell you how much driving feels like a bad video game) he/she will then yell at you in some language you don't understand and/or give you the finger. it's just a very rude slap in the face. waiting for the bus and politely letting the elderly woman go in front of you so she can literally PUSH you with her fist almost knocking you to the ground.

i don't know. i could go on but i think those who know what i'm talking about know what i'm talking about.
Unless you moved here from a brownstone adjacent to Central Park, I don't see why anybody would hate it here. It is quiet. Everything you need is a short walk away from a Deli or supermarket.
Entertainment can be had using a Metrocard and a 30 minute ride.

Random crime is absolutely UNHEARD OF!

Most streets were paved 2 years ago. There are exceptions, like 74th/18ave.
But.. it could be alot worse.

Why do people give you stares? Do you look different or something?
I never get stares here. I get them when I'm walking through Greenwhich Village, though. Hahah .

Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
i know. i was just saying. it feels so far removed from everything. it's like a dropoff.

i thought it was a normal place to live till i moved there!
You know... most parts of Brooklyn aren't different.

Midwood.. Bay Ridge.. Gravesend.. etc.
It's almost all the same.

I think what you're looking for is Park Slope or Williamsburg.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 PM

i lived in park slope and williamsburg in the past 10 yrs. i wanted affordable and i know that comes at a cost!! i guess the past 2 years of long commute, being isolated from friends and stuff to do has gotten to me.

i'm sorry - i am just bitter and counting the days till my move.

i have no idea why people stare. in general, my block is very nosey and in the annoying way. my husband is a musician - forget when he lugs his amp or guitar or whatever to the car - that's prime entertainment. but just watering plants or taking out garbage, they just sit there and stare at you. i dunno. i have tried waving. i've also had random things happen like herb pots stolen - i guess i got a little lax thinking it was such a safe hood and i'd taken to leaving my herbs outside lol. we also had a 20 lb bag of soil stolen from under our porch. now someone would have to walk by and see it and go all the way in the gate and lug it down the street. very odd. to steal my dirt? and that much of it?

i guess i didn't realize how far removed i'd be is all. it would be nice if there was at least one non-italian/chinese restaurant that delivers (plenty in bay ridge but don't deliver and parking is tough).

looking forward to moving and getting more for my $$ than where i am now. my apt is huge, but like i said, it's at a cost. i'm too young to be so far away from anything. i don't need to be in manhattan again and i don't even need to be in wburg/slope/c gardens, just closer and with at least one place to walk to on a nice night. even biking to spumoni gardens isn't too fun - so many traffic lights at every corner, biking's not too fun when you have to brake the second you pick up speed!!

nuff whining... sorry!!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Unless you moved here from a brownstone adjacent to Central Park, I don't see why anybody would hate it here. It is quiet. Everything you need is a short walk away from a Deli or supermarket.
Entertainment can be had using a Metrocard and a 30 minute ride.

Random crime is absolutely UNHEARD OF!

Most streets were paved 2 years ago. There are exceptions, like 74th/18ave.
But.. it could be alot worse.

Why do people give you stares? Do you look different or something?
I never get stares here. I get them when I'm walking through Greenwhich Village, though. Hahah .
entertainment like what? 30 mins? i'm off the N - i can't even make it to sunset park in 30 mins.

it's dirty. the bodegas are all i have by me or the countless dollar stores and dry cleaners. oh! and nail salons. to get to bay ridge one can give up one's coveted parking spot, try to find another in bay ridge, then have fun finding another later or take 2 buses. don't mean to sound spoiled but there are no health food stores anywhere near me. i don't mean like a gnc or whatever, i mean an organic food store.

i don't think i look different - i'm pretty average. i haven't tried to look diff and call attention to myself since i was a bratty teenager.

yeah it's safe. and yeah the N is imo one of the safest lines. i guess that's a plus since the ride out to nowhereland is a long one!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM

and the roads are awful - don't know where you're driving. not just on bqe and the belt, but all over that area, esp bay pkwy. holes, not digs or cracks, holes. can't swerve around them so have to try and slow down while trying to avoid the jerkoff who is running the red light, say a prayer and hope for the best. seriously can't say enough about drivers around that area in particular. countless times when crossing the street on foot, having right of way, then having someone honk and nearly run me over or give me the finger by someone running red light. nice.

ok, last post, promise. i can't be the only one who finds that area so nauseating. haha.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:37 PM

I honestly think its just your block.

I have had bad experiences on 20th ave.

Maybe you should look into the area from 13th avenue to Fort Hamilton? It's very peaceful.
Also, sell your car. You really don't need it in New York. I drive my metrocard.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:27 PM

67 posts, read 65,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Here are some pics I took of Bensonhurst (Or, as the locals call it, 'Bensonhoist')

Sorry about this one.

That's basically what you would see if you were to visit the area.

Oh, and for those who don't know, Bensonhurst is located in Brooklyn.

No one calls it Bensonhoist, lived there 27 years...but yes the area is changing, not as many Italian families anymore...like it was 10+ years ago...

Old 07-05-2007, 03:02 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Wow, looks like a solid working class neighborhood. Hopefully the yuppies don't screw that up (if they haven't already).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City