Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM

273 posts, read 672,701 times

Advertisements

You are all missing the main reason. I wrote to my councilman about this. I suggest instead of guessing write to them about this.

The reason NYC has gotten dirtier - that is more trash - is because our wonderful New York State legislature in its budget cuts in 2008 - 2009 cut monies from NYC budget which were then cut from the Department of Sanitation's budget. This has shown in reduced trash collections. With the financial crisis and Hurricane Sandy, funds have NOT been restored. I was given information about how citizens could arrange volunteer clean-ups. Plan at least 4 weeks in advance and the Dept of Sanitation will provide cleaning supplies.

If any of you are interested in doing this, let me know. We could see how often and if we could rotate areas we feel most in need. Much better and harder to do than writing a complaint on a forum while comfortable in your chair.

PM me or would it be best to start a thread? More experienced and senior people here could provide some ideas too how we could start this. In the short run, PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:58 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
You are all missing the main reason. I wrote to my councilman about this. I suggest instead of guessing write to them about this.

The reason NYC has gotten dirtier - that is more trash - is because our wonderful New York State legislature in its budget cuts in 2008 - 2009 cut monies from NYC budget which were then cut from the Department of Sanitation's budget. This has shown in reduced trash collections. With the financial crisis and Hurricane Sandy, funds have NOT been restored. I was given information about how citizens could arrange volunteer clean-ups. Plan at least 4 weeks in advance and the Dept of Sanitation will provide cleaning supplies.

If any of you are interested in doing this, let me know. We could see how often and if we could rotate areas we feel most in need. Much better and harder to do than writing a complaint on a forum while comfortable in your chair.

PM me or would it be best to start a thread? More experienced and senior people here could provide some ideas too how we could start this. In the short run, PM me.

Anybody dare to continue complaining here anymore, LOL...
Yes, i think it is a great idea to organize volunteer cleaning activities, since the city does not seem to bother about it.

I would be happy to send my 14 year old to broom the street and pick trash once a week together with other kids under adult supervision. I thnik this will be great for the youngsters to become aware of the issues and will probably grow repect to others for not random litering.

Also, i will be happy to join other adults to scrub off those 100+ year old black stains from the subway platforms. If we can use this forum to plan and coordinate cleaning efforts throughout the city, that would be wonderful. I think too many peolle have a lot of free time wasted, especially thouse underemployed.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why is New york so Dirty?

Should we blame Bloomberg?

Everywhere is filthy from the streets to the subways
There is n regular street-cleaning. So I think it appears more dirty than it actually is.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 PM

588 posts, read 947,428 times
Mostly because its too crowded, including lots of slobs.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 AM

11 posts, read 22,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why is New york so Dirty?

Should we blame Bloomberg?

Everywhere is filthy from the streets to the subways
Well, uh, that's what happens in big cities. Everyone is from elsewhere. No one cares for the person next to them, they hardly even speak the same language. They're just out to make money, feed their families, and everyone else is a potential idiot, crazy, deviant, or a-hole. If you want clean, move to a place where people look alike, believe in the same things, and agree on the same standards. That's a community, and they will care about it.

New York City is only for people who are making a ton of money or poor city hoodrats who are born and die here. Or for deluded liberal loons, they fit right in.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:40 AM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
Dumb blanket statements.

People who isolate themselves with similar people too often have false hate-filled ideas about outsiders. These segregated "communities" are what foster cases like the Trayvon Martin shooting.

There are many clean neighborhoods in the city but most of well trafficked ones are messy. I've noticed tourists, people who eat McDonald's/Doritos, smokers, and teenagers are often the biggest litterbugs.

My solution would be to start a campaign against littering, more trash receptacles, and simply ticketing litterbugs.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Dumb blanket statements.

People who isolate themselves with similar people too often have false hate-filled ideas about outsiders. These segregated "communities" are what foster cases like the Trayvon Martin shooting.

There are many clean neighborhoods in the city but most of well trafficked ones are messy. I've noticed tourists, people who eat McDonald's/Doritos, smokers, and teenagers are often the biggest litterbugs.

My solution would be to start a campaign against littering, more trash receptacles, and simply ticketing litterbugs.
Or maybe the City needs more BID (Business Improvement District): in several neighbourhoods are working very well.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:23 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
No. The diversity thing has been pushed down our throats ad naseum. Now, if I'd prefer to be around people similar to myself, all of a sudden I'm a bigot.

Sorry, I don't have much in common with people taking their shoes off and praying in the middle of a sidewalk to Allah or two guys rollerblading down 7th avenue in their mankini's holding hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Dumb blanket statements.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
No. The diversity thing has been pushed down our throats ad naseum. Now, if I'd prefer to be around people similar to myself, all of a sudden I'm a bigot.

Sorry, I don't have much in common with people taking their shoes off and praying in the middle of a sidewalk to Allah or two guys rollerblading down 7th avenue in their mankini's holding hands
Diversity means that yielding your mainstream values to the new comer values .
I like diversity but I hate seeing that the low class behavior erodes the quality of life for the general public and makes the majority suffer and expect the good citizens to tolerate their non sense.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Incinerator Ban Is Adopted - NYTimes.com

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City