Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM

62 posts, read 187,435 times

Advertisements

^Real dude right here.

One thing I hate is that bull**** "rule" "never have eye contact with anyone on the subway". You'd literally see some tourist with their head down, staring at their boring ass suitcase or the wanna be NY'rs who act as if they are looking through a tunnel. Having eye contact is only human nature. I've had eye contact with some of the most "sketchy" characters and nothing has ever happened to me. It really just depends on how you look at people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Are they snatching them out of people's hands as they are sitting there enjoying the ride and looking at their iphones? Or are the snatching more after the person has gotten up and heading towards the door? Are the snatching from inside someone's pocket after they see that the person stashed it there as they are getting up?

I would think it would be fairly safe to be using it while sitting down, as long as you have your hands on it at all times, and that when you get up to leave, you put it away somewhere safe.

But what do I know. I finally just joined the 21st century and got a smartphone (not an iphone) so I am just now learning what I can and can't do.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you're trying to say that subway robberies don't happen, you're only facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. They happen all the time, throughout the system. But you don't hear much about individual cases. Someone gets robbed on a train, do you think that if they go screaming to the Post it's going to make the front page?

The thing is, most of those robberies don't have to happen. People sit there on the trains flaunting their stuff. You're not supposed to imply that they're asking to be robbed...but in actuality, they are.

of course a small robbery isnt making the paper
but in all the years ive ridden the train i have never once seen anyone robbed in the subway
id much rather use my gadgets day in and day out than hide them and sit on the train bored out of my mind based on the fear of being robbed

Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerCrawler View Post
I agree with you that these devices were used for portability and you shouldn't have to feel as if you cant use them in public areas.

But the reality is, People are not only getting robbed for their cell phones and devices but also injured or killed. Just this past month a man was shot to death for his iPhone in Riverdale. A kid had his pants slashed while he slept on the 4 train on Fordham road, when he realized he approached the couple who had the phone and then was stabbed several times as he tried getting his phone back...You probably just haven't been in a cart with these degenerates and I wish you and everyone else safe travels in these trains.
i don't doubt what you're saying is true, but i could get hit by a car, be in a plane crash or get robbed in broad day light for my wallet
im not gonna live in fear when the chances of something bad happening are very small

Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM

240 posts, read 621,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeLoNLoCoBx View Post
some vato pulled out a knife on me n he got a few dollas
There's goes your life-long savings, huh?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Default They will not listen...

Despite all this being a known fact, Still I see laptops and other gadgets out in the open. They cannot wait to surf the net when they get home? And I will tell you why. The "It wont' happen to me" mentality. These things always happen to someone else. A laptop? With all their files on it?

Read a book, A newspaper, Have a thumb wrestling match with the passenger next to you etc. Why invite problems? The average ride is 30 minutes. You will not suffer withdrawals if you have to wait to get home.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
The average ride is 30 minutes. You will not suffer withdrawals if you have to wait to get home.

I LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City