Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bluedog if that is in fact true, then the headline could have also easily been what you proposed. What that tells me is the poverty is actually declining in the area, and presumable, higher incomes are growing.

I think both angles are equally relevant, but I think whichever angle they went with, they should have addressed the flip side..but they chose not to.
Media has nothign better to due then tarnish the image of the South Bronx even further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Hehe...we been here for generations...I think the haze has you twisted a bit. Our new slogan should be "#1 in Poverty Since 1975"
Welcome to the South Bronx, going strong for 35 years.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Well,according to Wikipedia,the poverty rate for the area in 2000 was 42.2%.

So,if it's true and the rate has decreased in The South Bronx by 4% while it has gone up nationally,it's actually a very,very positive sign.

Wonder why THE Daily News didn't have the headline say "South Bronx Poverty Rate Drops By 4%, Bucking National Upward Trend " ? OR "Bronx Poverty Rate Plummets While National Poverty Rate Explodes"

New York's 16th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a very good point bluedog.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Well,according to Wikipedia,the poverty rate for the area in 2000 was 42.2%.

So,if it's true and the rate has decreased in The South Bronx by 4% while it has gone up nationally,it's actually a very,very positive sign.

Wonder why THE Daily News didn't have the headline say "South Bronx Poverty Rate Drops By 4%, Bucking National Upward Trend " ? OR "Bronx Poverty Rate Plummets While National Poverty Rate Explodes"

New York's 16th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good job at pointing this out bluedog, however 4% is still not an signficant number to show that poverty is going down, everyone is looking for numbers like 10% decline in poverty rate in the South Bronx. Hopefully that 4% could double to 8% in the future and then 16% twenty years down the line. Indeed a positive sign.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Just read this article in the NY Daily News. The 2010 Census indicated that the 16th Congressional District of the Bronx (the area commonly referred to since the 70s as the "South Bronx" rising to Fordham Rd, although geographically much larger than just the southern extreme of the borough) has a poverty rate of 38%, the highest of any district in the nation.

South Bronx is poorest district in nation, U.S. Census Bureau finds: 38% live below poverty line

I read the article and have a few comments:

1-Is this up or down versus 2000?

2-How have the other income ranges fared in this district? For example, are we seeing growth in the upper/middle/working income population in this district, or a further decline since 2000? This will tell you whether others are moving in, or if it is simply becoming more concentrated with the destitute.

3-The scariest part is that the bulk of this population is desperately poor despite (or maybe due to?) the extremely broad social programs which are not nearly as accessible/generous in other parts of the country.

Why so surprised? It's been like that for decades. I remember John Stossel having a report on it at a soup kitchen in the area.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Bronxguyanese a 4% drop while the nation is increasing is substantial...it is bucking the national trend...that is significant. If it had been a 4% drop while everyone else is dropping 10%..then that would not be good..but across the nation the poverty rate has INCREASED, yet in this district is has DECREASED. Why? This question needs to be answered.

Critical thinking is key when you have data like this so you can reveal the underlying trends and truth.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:31 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I knew this for a while, It's still my favorite borough outside of Manhattan though.
Morris Park

Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 PM

40 posts, read 214,047 times
Does this suprise anyone? Really? Everyone claims "SoBro" has changed from the 70s, yeah it doesn't look like post WW2 London anymore, big deal!! what about people who live in decayed buildings with rat infestations, waterbugs, roaches, mice, fleas, crackheads urinating in the hallways. it isn't a fun place to live, i used to work over on Southern blvd and got jumped at 7pm in the winter time, i got slashed by these 3 dudes when i fought with them over taking a chain that was sacred to me because my grandmother from Cambodia gave it me before she passed, so yeah i punched, kicked whatever, until they pulled out a very long, sharp blade stabbed me twice and ran off. quit that job after that incident..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Default West Farms

Is west farms nowdays a nice area? Used to be pretty bad.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Is west farms nowdays a nice area? Used to be pretty bad.
Still horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: