Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,876,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessdot View Post
Yep! Okay, good. Cemeteries don't bother me (I grew up right across the street from a really creepy one) and a lack of close amenities isn't new to me either. When I first checked out the location on satellite view I was kind of like because it seems like a really random location for condos. They're really nice though, and the washer/dryer is in the unit (score!)
It's a okay area, I haven't been around there since High School, although I drive through there often. I rarely notice any people walking around there except the workers from all those storage places on the other side of Flushing Avenue. There use to be a Pizzeria and a Deli across the street there, and a McDonalds a few blocks away. They're also putting a new CVS on Metro and Fresh Pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,788,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It's a okay area, I haven't been around there since High School, although I drive through there often. I rarely notice any people walking around there except the workers from all those storage places on the other side of Flushing Avenue. There use to be a Pizzeria and a Deli across the street there, and a McDonalds a few blocks away. They're also putting a new CVS on Metro and Fresh Pond.
It's already done... It's been open for about two weeks now. I can't believe how quickly that pharmacy opened up. Walgreens has been in the works for years now, meanwhile they shut down the car spot and within a matter of weeks, CVS is up and running... These two pharmacies are going to do alot of damage to the rite aid on grandview ave. Not everyone, but a number of people that work there are very rude and have little to no people skills at all...

Also in terms of brandonz comments, yea like I said the Q54 is a straight shot to East Williamsburg/Southside and it'll take you to the L on grand street and bushwick. Great thing about it is that both stops are literally right next to the condo building. In that sense, I can understand why they would put it there but aside from immediate bus service I agree that putting condos in front of the cementary wasn't the brightest idea...

Btw, the 54 stop in front of the building would be going the opposite direction of East Williamsburg/Southside... To take the Q54 to hit the L you would have to catch it on the opposite side of the chase bank where the B67 stops at I believe... It's at the intersection of metropolitan and flushing right here...

Metropolitan and Flushing ave - Google Maps

Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,876,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
It's already done... It's been open for about two weeks now. I can't believe how quickly that pharmacy opened up. Walgreens has been in the works for years now, meanwhile they shut down the car spot and within a matter of weeks, CVS is up and running... These two pharmacies are going to do alot of damage to the rite aid on grandview ave. Not everyone, but a number of people that work there are very rude and have little to no people skills at all...
I heard the CVS on Fresh Pond and Grove simply moved. I'm surprised it's already open.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,948 times
Thanks for all the info, guys, I really appreciate it!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,171,401 times
I'm no expert on Ridgewood but I have a friend who lives there and I visit from time to time. This seems like a solid working class to middle class neighborhood. Some people might be exagerrating the crime that does go on there. To me Ridgewood looks more like a brooklyn neighborhood but feels more like a Queens neighborhood, if that makes any sense.

I like that it offers a decent commuting distance, the ability to keep a car (the narrow two way streets in this neighborhood would drive me crazy if I had to drive through them all the time) if you'd like and has subway access. Although I am not a big fan of the M train. Don't know how good the schools are around there but I would think this is a good fit for people looking for something affordable outside of the city with a decent commute to the city.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm no expert on Ridgewood but I have a friend who lives there and I visit from time to time. This seems like a solid working class to middle class neighborhood. Some people might be exagerrating the crime that does go on there. To me Ridgewood looks more like a brooklyn neighborhood but feels more like a Queens neighborhood, if that makes any sense.

I like that it offers a decent commuting distance, the ability to keep a car (the narrow two way streets in this neighborhood would drive me crazy if I had to drive through them all the time) if you'd like and has subway access. Although I am not a big fan of the M train. Don't know how good the schools are around there but I would think this is a good fit for people looking for something affordable outside of the city with a decent commute to the city.
It is a good working class area but as with any working class area, it always deals with its working class problems... Schools are average to below average in the area and while it isn't hood by any means... problems still do happen around here... I'd say about 70-75% of the crime you see from the 104th comes from Ridgewood and for a time when people would call for complaints to the precinct some mentioned they had a pre-recorded message saying how they're too busy fighting crime in Ridgewood to take a complaint... Don't know if that still happens but it is pretty much your typical working class area... Not really a bad area like a Bushwick, Bed-stuy, East NY or even to the level of Jackson Heights/ Corona, but it does deal with its problems and that's why you hear what you hear... To be honest though, it has improved alot since I moved here... Ridgewood used to have a serious gang problem for about 5-10 years... Latin Kings and Trinitarios used to go at it in the parks and for awhile were fighting for territory of the neighborhood... Most of those guys now are either dead or in jail and thankfully there's no real leadership among the small clicks you see now to cause any real problems...

Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,096,224 times
Quote:
The B67-B69 that stops on Metropolitan and Starr takes forever and doesn't take you anywhere near... It's main stops are by Downtown Brooklyn...
The B67/B69 serve Park Slope, not Ridgewood. The B57 goes down Flushing Avenue, if that's what you were referring to. I don't know where you got B69 from (that runs down Vanderbilt Avenue in Clinton Hill and then joins the B67 in Park Slope). Maybe you meant the Q59 to Williamsburg.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The B67/B69 serve Park Slope, not Ridgewood. The B57 goes down Flushing Avenue, if that's what you were referring to. I don't know where you got B69 from (that runs down Vanderbilt Avenue in Clinton Hill and then joins the B67 in Park Slope). Maybe you meant the Q59 to Williamsburg.
Relax man, simple mistake... Meant to say B57 (wasn't originally sure whether it was the B57 or B67) which stops on metropolitan ave and flushing ave right next to the Q54... I'm pretty sure other than a simple number mistake I would be pretty familiar with the area I live in...

Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,096,224 times
Quote:
Relax man, simple mistake... Meant to say B57 (wasn't originally sure whether it was the B57 or B67) which stops on metropolitan ave and flushing ave right next to the Q54... I'm pretty sure other than a simple number mistake I would be pretty familiar with the area I live in...
I'm cool as a cucumber. I was just pointing it out, not any any snarky kind of way.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'm cool as a cucumber. I was just pointing it out, not any any snarky kind of way.
I got you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City