Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:37 PM

49 posts, read 288,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy View Post
I am aware that it is expensive in the 5 boroughs but I have also seen advertised plenty of 2 bed places for $1500 snd under and I hope that one month will be enough time to find a place. I am currently living in London, England in a large and beautiful 3 bed house paying less than $1500/month so I hope that I am lucky enough to find even a 2 bed. London is supposedly more expensive than NYC but I have never had any money problems here and I am not one of those people you listed above who spends their money like crazy!
I lived in Wood Green and we paid about £1200 for a 3 bedroom modernised Victorian terraced house with a loft. New York is not nearly as expensive as London. When I heard people crying about spending US$80 on a monthly metrocard I compared it to the £96 I used to spend on a zone 1-3 monthly travelcard and shook my head.

I still miss London though

Last edited by mellat; 07-04-2007 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: correcting spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 75,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellat View Post
I lived in Wood Green and we paid about £1200 for a 3 bedroom modernised Victorian terraced house with a loft. New York is not nearly as expensive as London. When I heard people crying about spending US$80 on a monthly metrocard I compared it to the £96 I used to spend on a zone 1-3 monthly travelcard and shook my head.

I still miss London though

some things are much cheaper in London and others are not but I suppose I'll find that it will pretty much balance out when comparing NYC vs London. Yes, public transport costs are too high in London and it increases every January! I just bought my last travelcard I will ever have to purchase!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:05 PM

314 posts, read 492,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
If you mean by the 'city' as the 5 boros collectively then yes, you are right $1,500 won't get you more than a small studio. Forget about Manhattan anywhere except for maybe some parts of Spanish Harlem (or now known as 'SPA HA') or maybe some parts of Washington Heights EAST of Broadway.

For a two bedroom, you are looking at $2,500 minimum in most of Queens and over $4,000 a month in Manhattan & most of Brooklyn. It is shocking how much rents have skyrocketed in the last 5 years.

And you don't just need to have your finances in order, you need to have nearly perfect credit (FICO 720 + ) and be earning at least 45 times the monthly rent in annual salary. Plus, you almost always will need to go thru a broker and pay anywhere between 10% - 20% of annual rent plus application fees of a few hundred required by landlords.

Expensive, yes --- but demand is way ahead of supply. All these people can afford to spend between $2,000 - $6,000 a month on rent to live in the right neighborhood and still have plenty of money left over for more important things like IPHONES, $300 Jeans, $5 drinks from Starbucks, $100 dinners every night, and forget about the subway when you have your own car or use cabs to get anywhere.
dude, stop being a monkey. you don't need $4k/month to live in brooklyn or queens. i have a true 1 bedroom in bay ridge that i pay $950/month for. it's nice, quiet neighborhood, and there is plenty of cool stuff to do. when i said, 'the city', i meant manhattan. you can absolutely get a studio in manhattan for $1500/month. it's going to be small. and, you're right about the finances issue. but, stop making it worse than it is.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,119 times
Default where are you looking to move TO NYC OR OUTER BORO

It makes a huge difference as to where you intend to move as far as how long it will take to find an apt. and then move into one good luck..

Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 PM

564 posts, read 1,726,962 times
It depends. If you come to certain parts of Queens or the North Bronx, I'm sure you can find a 2 bedroom apartment for $1500 in a nice neighborhood. My family pays $1100 for a three bedroom.

Woodlawn, Bronx.
Van Cortland Village, Bronx.
Astoria, Queens.

Try those.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Forget Queens,,,Woodlawn is perfect

Woodlawn is the best place to live if you are looking for a quick train ride into the city, for 1500 , you can get a nice size"2 BEDROOM" not a studio like Astoria etc.... If i can help you email me dmj888@aol.com

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM

try woodlawn in the bronx

Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,726,962 times
Well, it's always good to see another North Bronx poster. Woodlawn is great, especially if you're Irish. English is close enough.

Move there, or else forever be labeled as a child toucher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City